What happened to Brilliant Lady

Wildcatllamas

21 minutes ago, Lustate said:

A couple of cancellations going to hit RL. 

4-13 of Aug 2024 they have a charter booking of Athens to Barcelona

13-23 of Aug 2024 a charter Barcelona to Portsmouth.

the routes are being sold by the private company as an LGBT+ event. 

The currently scheduled cruises are listed as sold out on the website so at least they stopped selling them. 

Interested to know - when it becomes a charter to a different company, does the company charge the same prices as VV or will it be different? Out of interest, what is the company for this cruise?

If you went on the cruise booked through the company, would you get any VV perks that you get if you had booked with VV?

Edited by phoenix1975

6 hours ago, phoenix1975 said:

Interested to know - when it becomes a charter to a different company, does the company charge the same prices as VV or will it be different? Out of interest, what is the company for this cruise?

If you went on the cruise booked through the company, would you get any VV perks that you get if you had booked with VV?

The charter company can basically charge what it would like to make a profit, or loss on the core voyage price, but the drinks prices at the bars for example remains fixed. I cannot comment on virgins policy, but when Atlantis book other ships, they often continue to sell drinks packages, so a bar tab bonus might operate. Atlantis Events are the charter company, and even as a gay guy, I would not book them myself, as seems to be a non-stop party, they throw a lot more entertainment on board, and a theme every night, but that’s joked about in the community as “which colour harness and jock night”, as that’s what every theme turns into. 

as a charter you would not gain benefits as it’s not a booking to them, it’s a booking to Atlantis Events who in turn pay VV. no DBE, gaining “points” or adding to your total VV spend. 

Resilient Lady will do the cruises out of Portsmouth.

Itineraries:

23 Aug 2024: Portsmouth - Amsterdam - Amsterdam - At Sea - Portsmouth

27 Aug 2024: Portsmouth - At Sea - Zeebrugge - Portsmouth

30 Aug 2024: Portsmouth - Amsterdam - Amsterdam - At Sea - Portsmouth

03 Sep 2024: Portsmouth - Amsterdam - Amsterdam - Zeebrugge - At Sea - Portsmouth

08 Sep 2024: Portsmouth - At Sea - La Coruna - Bilbao - La Verdon - At Sea - Portsmouth

14 Sep 2024: Portsmouth - At Sea - Amsterdam - Amsterdam - Zeebrugge - Portsmouth

19 Sep 2024: Portsmouth - Amsterdam - Amsterdam - At Sea - Portsmouth

23 Sep 2024: Portsmouth - At Sea - La Coruna - Bilbao - La Verdon - At Sea - Portsmouth

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, tbmrt said:

Wondering what time the VV 9/7 announcement may hit today.  Has anyone received anything?

It looks like things are being announced across the pond in Europe.. but nothing here in the US as of yet.

3 hours ago, Lustate said:

The charter company can basically charge what it would like to make a profit, or loss on the core voyage price, but the drinks prices at the bars for example remains fixed. I cannot comment on virgins policy, but when Atlantis book other ships, they often continue to sell drinks packages, so a bar tab bonus might operate. Atlantis Events are the charter company, and even as a gay guy, I would not book them myself, as seems to be a non-stop party, they throw a lot more entertainment on board, and a theme every night, but that’s joked about in the community as “which colour harness and jock night”, as that’s what every theme turns into. 

as a charter you would not gain benefits as it’s not a booking to them, it’s a booking to Atlantis Events who in turn pay VV. no DBE, gaining “points” or adding to your total VV spend. 

I did one of their cruises years ago.. the first 3 days were fun. After that it was like being stuck in a gay bar for a week.. Would not do one again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Alegeeter said:

That was a generous offer then but like many have said here what we paid for these early BL voyages is a fraction of what VV selling them for now. In fact, what I paid for my San Juan Mermaiden is less than half of what most of the weeks are selling for so 200% FCC would pretty much  leave me exactly where I am. An additional complimentary voyage in 2024 would help make it right.

If I was a gambler I would be tempted to book a voyage right now, knowing its going to be cancelled, and see what I would get back. I mean in theory I could spend $3k, and get up to $6k future credit, and use that on another 2024 voyage to upgrade cabins.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lustate said:

If I was a gambler I would be tempted to book a voyage right now, knowing its going to be cancelled, and see what I would get back. I mean in theory I could spend $3k, and get up to $6k future credit, and use that on another 2024 voyage to upgrade cabins.  

I made sure I paid off all of my sailings.  They only give you the bonus based on what you have paid.. not what you owe.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lustate said:

There is a 7 day grace period for full refunds on cruises more than 120 day out, isn't there? So in theory, if someone where to book now, and if it got cancelled within the next week, you get 2x back, and if not, in 7 days you cancel and get everything back?

Edited by Tolkmit
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tolkmit said:

There is a 7 day grace period for full refunds on cruises more than 120 day out, isn't there? So in theory, if someone where to book now, and if it got cancelled within the next week, you get 2x back, and if not, in 7 days you cancel and get everything back?

People would get back everything paid except the deposit which would be FVV. BUT.... What happens if you use a MNVV voucher that has the deposit built into it? hmmm. 

Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 13.06.22.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrSch said:

It looks like things are being announced across the pond in Europe.. but nothing here in the US as of yet.

I just pinged a UK agent I've become friends with on Social Media and he says they have nothing. Not sure where you're hearing that but they're waiting on the new releases as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lustate said:

People would get back everything paid except the deposit which would be FVV. BUT.... What happens if you use a MNVV voucher that has the deposit built into it? hmmm. 

odds are you would get back the value of the mnvvv.. but not the obc that goes with it.

3 minutes ago, Lustate said:

From what you posted, people would get everything back if they canceled within 7 days. "If you are booking more than 120 days prior to the start of the voyage, you have a 7 day grace period..."

I'm not planning on doing so, it feels dishonest; I'm just pointing out it's not really a gamble. If you book a mid-January cruise on Brilliant today, and it gets canceled within the next few days, as seems highly likely, you get 2x FVV. If it doesn't get cancelled, you request a full refund within 7 days and get everything back.

Virgin really needs to be announcing what is going on soon. Both with Brilliant, and with the rest of the fleet for 24-25; their competition has itineraries out that is getting booked without them even offering competing options.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ulsteinvik said:

Itineraries:

23 Aug 2024: Portsmouth - Amsterdam - Amsterdam - At Sea - Portsmouth

27 Aug 2024: Portsmouth - At Sea - Zeebrugge - Portsmouth

30 Aug 2024: Portsmouth - Amsterdam - Amsterdam - At Sea - Portsmouth

03 Sep 2024: Portsmouth - Amsterdam - Amsterdam - Zeebrugge - At Sea - Portsmouth

08 Sep 2024: Portsmouth - At Sea - La Coruna - Bilbao - La Verdon - At Sea - Portsmouth

14 Sep 2024: Portsmouth - At Sea - Amsterdam - Amsterdam - Zeebrugge - Portsmouth

19 Sep 2024: Portsmouth - Amsterdam - Amsterdam - At Sea - Portsmouth

23 Sep 2024: Portsmouth - At Sea - La Coruna - Bilbao - La Verdon - At Sea - Portsmouth

Thanks for those ! Can I please ask where you get the info from ? All travel agents don't seem to have received any info whatsoever ...

1 hour ago, Tolkmit said:

This is correct. Full refund including deposit within 7 days for cruises more than 120 days out. However, VV has cancelled a few cruises this year (charters and Austrailia itineraries) and the compensation was full refund (nothing more), or 125% - 150% FVC of what you’ve paid so far. It hasn’t been 2x in a while. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ulsteinvik said:

Itineraries:

23 Aug 2024: Portsmouth - Amsterdam - Amsterdam - At Sea - …

I’m surprised they would use Resilient Lady instead of Brilliant Lady if true. BL doesn’t currently have anything scheduled/booked after April 20 so they could do this without cancelling on anyone. I guess it is about a year out though, so it wouldn’t be too bad. 
The Athens cruises didn’t seem to be selling well, though they cost more per night on average.

6 hours ago, Lustate said:

Atlantis cruises usually are 2x more than a similar non chartered cruise, which is why for me, the added benefits aren't worth the extra expense. What I do instead is time a cruise that finishes up in FL in time for a gay themed event in FL itself. That's what I'm doing next year. I'm on the Valiant Lady for the Feb. 24th cruise and ends on Sunday, March 3rd,which is the main event for the annual Winter Party, a gay dance party weekend. The Sunday party takes in South Beach right on the beach, and the event is lots of fun dancing on the beach as the sun sets. That's all the partying I can take, lol. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2

A friend just received an email from her travel agent saying "I just got off the phone with my Virgin BDM. Brilliant Lady is being delayed. You'll be receiving an email from Virgin later today with your options as far as rescheduling, moving to another ship, or full refund."

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

A friend just received an email from her travel agent saying "I just got off the phone with my Virgin BDM. Brilliant Lady is being delayed. You'll be receiving an email from Virgin later today with your options as far as rescheduling, moving to another ship, or full refund."

Did they indicate how long? IE is the ship still going over to San Juan or staying in Europe for 2023/2024 instead?