Great day at Buccanos - APR '23

tartana

Our family of 6, including a 2 year old and 7 month old had a great "relaxing" half day at Buccanos Beach Club - north of the port- about 15 minutes drive.  We had no issues getting a taxi from the port, and there were some waiting to take people back as well. Taxi for 6 was $32US each way (I believe $22 for 5 people).  Buccanos was the perfect spot for our family.  There are lots of palm trees and areas for shade; the aqua ocean had bright, beautiful fish even quite near shore - you could see them even without a snorkel;  the food was excellent; the entry fee is $20US each adult, but they take the full value off the price of your food and drinks; there is a nice pool as well; the facility is lovely.  We were very pleased with everything.  It was a truly relaxing "beach" day for our bunch.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tartana said:

Our family of 6, including a 2 year old and 7 month old had a great "relaxing" half day at Buccanos Beach Club - north of the port- about 15 minutes drive.  We had no issues getting a taxi from the port, and there were some waiting to take people back as well. Taxi for 6 was $32US each way (I believe $22 for 5 people).  Buccanos was the perfect spot for our family.  There are lots of palm trees and areas for shade; the aqua ocean had bright, beautiful fish even quite near shore - you could see them even without a snorkel;  the food was excellent; the entry fee is $20US each adult, but they take the full value off the price of your food and drinks; there is a nice pool as well; the facility is lovely.  We were very pleased with everything.  It was a truly relaxing "beach" day for our bunch.  

Glad that Buccanos has reverted to charging the same price to independent cruisers as everyone else and that you enjoyed your day.

Probably time to make a return visit on a cruise day now they have stopped excursions.

Edited by c-leg5

7 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Good to read this.  We were not happy when we visited post covid with an obvious upcharge and left to go elsewhere.  It's a really nice area which we have visited in the past.

What was the up charge? I thought it was now 100% credited to food and drinks, (like land visitors) although i know they recently increased the charge?

We stopped going from cruise ship pre-Covid, when they had different pricing schemes, but they seem to have sold off the zip line and climbing wall land to Islands Beach Club and associated cruise excursions and reports indicate it is smaller but quieter. We need to go and check it out - it’s been a while since we were there.

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

What was the up charge? I thought it was now 100% credited to food and drinks, (like land visitors) although i know they recently increased the charge?

We stopped going from cruise ship pre-Covid, when they had different pricing schemes, but they seem to have sold off the zip line and climbing wall land to Islands Beach Club and associated cruise excursions and reports indicate it is smaller but quieter. We need to go and check it out - it’s been a while since we were there.

We went there before and during covid and prices were the same both times.  I think it was January 2019 and March 2021.  Then I think we stopped there in November 2021 and I believe there was a few people there from the ship (remember the ships weren't sailing at full capacity yet) and prices had gone up.  I would probably not have noticed but a local/land visitor mentioned it when we were looking at prices.  We just went down to another place which worked out better.  We weren't sure if there was a different pricing for cruise ship people which I honestly didn't notice before on our previous 2 visits.

42 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

We went there before and during covid and prices were the same both times.  I think it was January 2019 and March 2021.  Then I think we stopped there in November 2021 and I believe there was a few people there from the ship (remember the ships weren't sailing at full capacity yet) and prices had gone up.  I would probably not have noticed but a local/land visitor mentioned it when we were looking at prices.  We just went down to another place which worked out better.  We weren't sure if there was a different pricing for cruise ship people which I honestly didn't notice before on our previous 2 visits.

The price went up in late 2022, i believe. I don’t mind paying an increased charge if it is credited back as in “a minimum “ charge for the day.

Sounds like they tried to charge you the cruisers fee if it was in 2021 as the charge then should have been $10 credited back. We just went next door to Playa Azul when they tried that with us.

• Like 1

There did seem to be a “noisier” park next door. Buccanos itself was peaceful and lovely. They don’t even know who is there from a ship. It seems all “pay the same” and it comes off your balance of food and drink. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 4:03 PM, c-leg5 said:

The price went up in late 2022, i believe. I don’t mind paying an increased charge if it is credited back as in “a minimum “ charge for the day.

Sounds like they tried to charge you the cruisers fee if it was in 2021 as the charge then should have been $10 credited back. We just went next door to Playa Azul when they tried that with us.

“Talk” to me about Playa Azul versus Buccanos.  My family (siblings, cousins & respective children) are all hoping to lock down (as much as you can with a cruise) where to beach in Cozumel.  There will be approximately 15 of us; I could see that number dropping down to 12 or increasing up to 20.  Some of us would be happy to pay AI, others have zero interest in that.  We have all ages, and the kids prefer a pool.  But the slower older folks just want to be able to walk slowly on the edge of a beach.

Currently hiring private drivers to get us to Punta Sur is “winning,” with those with kids and the not-interested-in-a-crowd spouses, but . . . That’s PRICEY for those on a budget.

21 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

“Talk” to me about Playa Azul versus Buccanos.  My family (siblings, cousins & respective children) are all hoping to lock down (as much as you can with a cruise) where to beach in Cozumel.  There will be approximately 15 of us; I could see that number dropping down to 12 or increasing up to 20.  Some of us would be happy to pay AI, others have zero interest in that.  We have all ages, and the kids prefer a pool.  But the slower older folks just want to be able to walk slowly on the edge of a beach.

Currently hiring private drivers to get us to Punta Sur is “winning,” with those with kids and the not-interested-in-a-crowd spouses, but . . . That’s PRICEY for those on a budget.

Just rent cars to drive to Punta Sur and buy tickets online.  I would never hire private drivers in Cozumel.  It's the easiest island to drive around.  

29 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Just rent cars to drive to Punta Sur and buy tickets online.  I would never hire private drivers in Cozumel.  It's the easiest island to drive around.  

Different strokes for different folks.

We would never rent a car and I know several “land” vacationers that used to rent that have changed to using a taxi.

I agree, out of town, it is easy to drive but there are other considerations to take into account especially on a cruise ship day. To each their own.

1 hour ago, MississippiMom said:

Playa Azul is smaller than Buccanos, (although i am not sure how big Buccanos is now it has lost some of its land).  It also has an entrance fee credited to food and beverages.

My preference would still be Buccanos for a return visit. It has a better food, pool and seating especially for a group. It is a small beach and somewhat rocky so it is better for snorkeling but you can look at photos and assess. I prefer to swim in a pool to the ocean but i like to “look and hear”  the ocean. I think I told you once before there are some day beds available for rent and massage and spa, and probably tequila tasting. 

By the way, there is no pool at Punta Sur.

Edited by c-leg5

48 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

We would never rent a car and I know several “land” vacationers that used to rent that have changed to using a taxi.

I agree, out of town, it is easy to drive but there are other considerations to take into account especially on a cruise ship day. To each their own.

Correct.  In town we hate it but enjoy once outside.  But yes, to each his own.  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

"Different strokes for different folks" is the perfect response.  We would never rent a car for one day at port.  If it were a land vacation, maybe.  But even in the U.S. we often just Uber or Taxi when traveling.  In Cozumel, I would be worried that we wouldn't have enough non-drinkers in the mix to drive safely (and legally).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Playa Azul is smaller than Buccanos, (although i am not sure how big Buccanos is now it has lost some of its land).  It also has an entrance fee credited to food and beverages.

My preference would still be Buccanos for a return visit. It has a better food, pool and seating especially for a group. It is a small beach and somewhat rocky so it is better for snorkeling but you can look at photos and assess. I prefer to swim in a pool to the ocean but i like to “look and hear”  the ocean. I think I told you once before there are some day beds available for rent and massage and spa, and probably tequila tasting. 

By the way, there is no pool at Punta Sur.

I have read this board, other websites and used the search engines, but I can't seem to find an answer that I'm confident about.  Is Playa Azul Beach Club the same thing as Playa Azul Hotel?  Or two completely different locations?

I did see that  Buccanos has more of a rocky beach which isn't ideal for us, however, the idea of it being more on the quiet side is appealing.  Doubtful anyone in the family will be getting massaged, but people on the CC boards sure love that as an option.  I can see all of the 18 - 29 year olds, happily, lining up for tequila tasting.  😅

Yes, we did notice that there isn't a pool at Punta Sur, but the kids might enjoy checking out the lighthouse and the alligators (is that right?), plus just wandering around.

2 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

I have read this board, other websites and used the search engines, but I can't seem to find an answer that I'm confident about.  Is Playa Azul Beach Club the same thing as Playa Azul Hotel?  Or two completely different locations?

I did see that  Buccanos has more of a rocky beach which isn't ideal for us, however, the idea of it being more on the quiet side is appealing.  Doubtful anyone in the family will be getting massaged, but people on the CC boards sure love that as an option.  I can see all of the 18 - 29 year olds, happily, lining up for tequila tasting.  😅

Yes, we did notice that there isn't a pool at Punta Sur, but the kids might enjoy checking out the lighthouse and the alligators (is that right?), plus just wandering around.

Playa Azul Beach Club is the small beach club location AT Playa Azul Hotel. It is a restaurant/bar area to the right (looking at the ocean) side of the property. We visited one afternoon while staying in the island, it was fine for relaxing, having a drink/snack, snorkeling, people watching but nothing much for kids to do. Seats/ loungers appeared to be in short supply unless you sat in the main restaurant palapa. We found some suitable loungers so maybe we didn’t investigate far enough but most appeared to be for hotel guests.

Keep in mind we went to Buccanos before Island Beach was opened. We enjoyed loungers above the ocean on a terrace  - I am not sure that area is even there anymore - but I see recent photos with various seating areas including the beach. One of the downsides of Buccanos, apart from my dislike of their previous discriminatory pricing policy for cruisers, was the fact that they used to be the destination for various cruise ship excursions so you got big groups coming and going. I suspect that has stopped now and they go next door (unless they still have snorkeling/ diving groups) and I would be quite happy to revisit under their current policy. They have a good reputation on the island for food, especially at night and Sunday brunch. Menu is probably online and prices are definitely tourist prices. The restrooms are (or at least were) some of the best on the island!

We have never actually made it to either of the beach bars at Punta Sur. There have been various owners over the years so quality and service has varied. the sand looks really nice but keep in mind it is a long way down the road from the entrance. It is a considerable distance  between the ruins, the light house, sea water crocodiles area, lagoon and bars. We went there on one of our early tours around the island and only did the lighthouse and crocodiles. We have always promised ourselves we would go back for the day but have never done it yet.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

Yes, we did notice that there isn't a pool at Punta Sur, but the kids might enjoy checking out the lighthouse and the alligators (is that right?), plus just 

Sounds like you have your hands full trying to please everyone.  If you want the pool and quiet then go to Azul.  They are the same.  I usually look at the addresses if unsure.  And if people complain, tell them to do the legwork.  Also another source if on FB is the Cozumel 4 U page.  Very helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@MississippiMom i wanted to add, if your group went to Buccanos or Playa Azul and the “kids” wanted more to do there is probably the possibility of them going to Islands for a time if they wanted an activity like paddle boards, jet skis, zip line. I have no experience with this club and you would have to research pricing/packages/activities.

I know it is marketed for Carnival excursions but I think anyone can go in. I have easily walked in the past along the coast from Buccanos to Playa Azul. I am not sure what access is like now Islands is between.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

@MississippiMom i wanted to add, if your group went to Buccanos or Playa Azul and the “kids” wanted more to do there is probably the possibility of them going to Islands for a time if they wanted an activity like paddle boards, jet skis, zip line. I have no experience with this club and you would have to research pricing/packages/activities.

I know it is marketed for Carnival excursions but I think anyone can go in. I have easily walked in the past along the coast from Buccanos to Playa Azul. I am not sure what access is like now Islands is between.

Great idea!

17 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Playa Azul Beach Club is the small beach club location AT Playa Azul Hotel. It is a restaurant/bar area to the right (looking at the ocean) side of the property. We visited one afternoon while staying in the island, it was fine for relaxing, having a drink/snack, snorkeling, people watching but nothing much for kids to do. Seats/ loungers appeared to be in short supply unless you sat in the main restaurant palapa. We found some suitable loungers so maybe we didn’t investigate far enough but most appeared to be for hotel guests.

Keep in mind we went to Buccanos before Island Beach was opened. We enjoyed loungers above the ocean on a terrace  - I am not sure that area is even there anymore - but I see recent photos with various seating areas including the beach. One of the downsides of Buccanos, apart from my dislike of their previous discriminatory pricing policy for cruisers, was the fact that they used to be the destination for various cruise ship excursions so you got big groups coming and going. I suspect that has stopped now and they go next door (unless they still have snorkeling/ diving groups) and I would be quite happy to revisit under their current policy. They have a good reputation on the island for food, especially at night and Sunday brunch. Menu is probably online and prices are definitely tourist prices. The restrooms are (or at least were) some of the best on the island!

We have never actually made it to either of the beach bars at Punta Sur. There have been various owners over the years so quality and service has varied. the sand looks really nice but keep in mind it is a long way down the road from the entrance. It is a considerable distance  between the ruins, the light house, sea water crocodiles area, lagoon and bars. We went there on one of our early tours around the island and only did the lighthouse and crocodiles. We have always promised ourselves we would go back for the day but have never done it yet.

Yes, the facilities, washrooms are very nice - just like a nice hotel. The food was very good - reasonable tourist pricing IMO. The main beach entrance is rocky/coral but was so pretty for snorkeling right near shore. There is lots of different seating. The beach toward the north seemed very sunny and empty. There were 2 “cabanas” in that direction that I saw. The pool was lovely. I have quite a few pics if anyone wants to see anything specifically. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Jumping in on this old post to ask about the rocky/coral beach at Buccanos.  We're looking to go there in about a week - do we need to bring water shoes or is entry managed ok in bare feet?  We will definitely be snorkeling during our time there.

• Like 1