Alaskan excursions on a budget.

GINNY L

23 hours ago, CCJack said:

Good idea.... you could also take  the tram up and then hiked the free trails up from there.   You can hike as much as you like up there the views are great.   Then take the tram down.  Essentially hiking all above the tram.    You would have to purchase tram tix, but they are reasonable.   

With the $50 excursion credit it will only be $25 for each of us.  We could do that.  Thank you

13 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

Juneau has a ride free zone on public transit around the downtown area if you want to visit the Capitol building and the museum. And St. Nicholas church is just a short walk away.
https://juneaucapitaltransit.org/ride-free-zone-downtown/#:~:text=Capital Transit offers a Ride,the top of the hill.

Thank you for the information.  This will really help.

• Like 1

Ginny, we purchased a couple of hiking excursions for our trip, which embarks next Sunday.

Before that, though, I check on All Trails (quite a few options), and there were quite a few options, especially since you'll be with a friend. I would HIGHLY recommend bear spray, though... HIGHLY. 

Also, consider whether you want to pack your trekking poles.

We're hiking the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau and then the Tsongas National Forest in Skagway. In Ketchican, we're just going to do our own thing & check out the town.

Have fun with whatever you choose.

2 hours ago, Tgianco said:

Ginny, we purchased a couple of hiking excursions for our trip, which embarks next Sunday.

Before that, though, I check on All Trails (quite a few options), and there were quite a few options, especially since you'll be with a friend. I would HIGHLY recommend bear spray, though... HIGHLY. 

Also, consider whether you want to pack your trekking poles.

We're hiking the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau and then the Tsongas National Forest in Skagway. In Ketchican, we're just going to do our own thing & check out the town.

Have fun with whatever you choose.

I guess you get the bear spray there?  Or I could probably could find it on Amazon

24 minutes ago, GINNY L said:

I guess you get the bear spray there?  Or I could probably could find it on Amazon

Bear spray is a weapon.  You will not be allowed to take it on any public transportation including airplanes, trains, and your cruise ship.  You can buy it in stores in Alaska but must dispose of it before you get back on the ship again.

2 hours ago, GINNY L said:

You could probably get it there, but getting it on Amazon would be better. Out here in CA, our Costco's are loaded w/ bear spray right now (probably anywhere near bears).

On 4/24/2023 at 6:55 AM, GINNY L said:

My friend and I will be going to Alaska in July for her birthday.  We have been to some of these ports before.  However, due to certain reasons, we are going with a low budget.  

Can anybody give some good recommendations on hiking trails, besides free to inexpensive things to do in the following ports.  We will not be interested in food or drink suggestions, since we will only eat and drink on the ship.

Icy strait point--(I know there is a free gondola ride there)

Juneau--

Skagway--

Keystone Canyon

Thank you all in advance for any and all information you all can provide.

One of my favorite hiking trails in Skagway is Dewey Lake.  Going up is moderate but once at Lower Dewey Lake, the trail goes all the way around.  The trailhead is maybe a 1.4 mile from the ship.  Totally worth it.

In Juneau, Mt Roberts was mentioned, and it is a good hike, but I would say it is strenuous, even if you take the one-way down.  I recommend the city bus that drops you off a little over a mile from the Mendenhall visitor center.  From there, you can either hike to Nugget Falls with a thousand other tourists or take the East Glacier Loop Trail, which is beautiful and much emptier.  The uphill portion will be moderate.  

In Icy Straight, I don't recall the gondolas being free. Maybe the lower gondola is free because it is used to take passengers between piers, but I'm not sure.  The 2nd gondola that actually goes up the mountain definitely has a cost.  I do remember the cost being unlimited rides though.

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

One of my favorite hiking trails in Skagway is Dewey Lake.  Going up is moderate but once at Lower Dewey Lake, the trail goes all the way around.  The trailhead is maybe a 1.4 mile from the ship. 

Typo.  This is supposed to say 1/4 mile.

On 4/30/2023 at 1:55 PM, Tgianco said:

You could probably get it there, but getting it on Amazon would be better. Out here in CA, our Costco's are loaded w/ bear spray right now (probably anywhere near bears).

You cannot bring bear spray on an airplane or a cruise ship. Don't order on Amazon. Buy it when you get to Alaska (I've ready they sell it all over, even Walmart) but you won't be able to bring it on the cruise ship.

On 4/30/2023 at 4:28 PM, Aquahound said:

One of my favorite hiking trails in Skagway is Dewey Lake.  Going up is moderate but once at Lower Dewey Lake, the trail goes all the way around.  The trailhead is maybe a 1.4 mile from the ship.  Totally worth it.

In Juneau, Mt Roberts was mentioned, and it is a good hike, but I would say it is strenuous, even if you take the one-way down.  I recommend the city bus that drops you off a little over a mile from the Mendenhall visitor center.  From there, you can either hike to Nugget Falls with a thousand other tourists or take the East Glacier Loop Trail, which is beautiful and much emptier.  The uphill portion will be moderate.  

In Icy Straight, I don't recall the gondolas being free. Maybe the lower gondola is free because it is used to take passengers between piers, but I'm not sure.  The 2nd gondola that actually goes up the mountain definitely has a cost.  I do remember the cost being unlimited rides though.

Thank you for your detailed information and time.  Much appreciated

On 5/1/2023 at 6:41 PM, no1racefan1 said:

You cannot bring bear spray on an airplane or a cruise ship. Don't order on Amazon. Buy it when you get to Alaska (I've ready they sell it all over, even Walmart) but you won't be able to bring it on the cruise ship.

Thank you for the information time.  I am surprised how expensive bear spray is.