Most memorable Viking Crew Experience

austinetc

What is yours? I think whatever criteria Viking uses to select (and keep) their staff is the biggest asset they have going.

Mine was actually on a Viking River cruise in Portugal. We were circumnavigating the Iberian peninsula at the time by car, so I needed to find long-term parking during the cruise. I short-term parked the car near the boat and asked Sara at the front desk for any long-term parking information. Sara didn't tell me. Instead, she walked me three blocks to the entrance! It actually wasn't that hard to find, making her effort all the more impressive. 

Ours was actually on our very first cruise and involved several employees.

We did not use Viking Air or a Viking transfer.  We missed our connection in Iceland and were unable to get on the rebooked flight the same day but our luggage did.  We stayed overnight in Iceland and took a flight the next morning completely missing our independent pre extension in Bergen but arriving in time to board the ship.  In the Bergen airport a Viking rep found us walking in a daze and upset because our luggage went to Oslo.  He showed us to the lost luggage counter, told us to make a claim and Viking would handle it from there.  He also directed us to get on a waiting Viking shuttle and handed us over to Guest Services when we boarded.

We had Chefs Table reservations that night but my DH did not have a collared shirt plus most of our clothing needed laundering.  Guest Services lent him a clean and pressed dress shirt and gave us free express laundry service.  They found our bags in Oslo.  Since we did not get on the plane our bags stayed in Oslo not making it to our Oslo to Bergen flight.  Viking made sure our bags made it on another flight to Bergen.  One bag was delivered to our stateroom that evening after dinner.  We had an optional excursion the next day and Guest Services assurred us they would track our still missing bag.  Our clean clothing was delivered that morning.  During this entire process Guest Services kept us informed.  We returned from the excursion an hour before sail away to find no second bag in our room.  Minutes later Guest Services called our room to let us know they were delivering our bag.

We were in love with Viking already on our second day aboard.  Perhaps the great luggage service was due to we were in Norway and Viking has leverage there.  I don't know.  

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, duquephart said:

I wonder where the shirt came from. Correct size?

On our last cruise, I spoke with a women with lost luggage. Viking spent days tracking it in the luggage chaos of last summer. She was able to “shop” the Viking clothes closet, stocked with items left by previous passengers. She was well attired for 14 days! She was also given complimentary express laundry service. Her bag was delivered on the last day of the cruise! She then returned her borrowed items to the closet. Kudos to Viking for having clothing available for guests! 

Edited by CDR2001
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, CDR2001 said:

On our last cruise, I spoke with a women with lost luggage. Viking spent days tracking it in the luggage chaos of last summer. She was able to “shop” the Viking clothes closet, stocked with items left by previous passengers. She was well attired for 14 days! She was also given complimentary express laundry service. Her bag was delivered on the last day of the cruise! She then returned her borrowed items to the closet. Kudos to Viking for having clothing available for guests! 

Now that's amazing.  

• Like 3