2 Americans on the Iona, Norwegian Fjords, April 29th

Grumpella

On 5/11/2023 at 7:52 PM, Bill Y said:

Interesting comment, as we thought that up selling for food etc originated from your side of the Atlantic. 

Interesting as we have always found the speciality restaurants on Celebrity to be WAY more expensive than on P&O. Similarly, the drinks. Put that with the cost of the cruise compared to Celebrity and you could probably eat in the Epicurean every night and still have 'change' left over after your cruise. (If you get me)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2023 at 9:30 PM, Grumpella said:

I will be doing a review of this experience, as I appreciate everything I have learned on cruisecritic.

This will be our 17th cruise:  5 on Carnival, 7 on Norwegian, 2 on Celebrity, 1 on Holland America and 1 on Royal Caribbean.

We are a married couple, 59 and 63.  

We are flying out tomorrow from Boston to Heathrow.  We booked tickets on the National Express bus to get to and from Southampton and will be staying at the Holiday Inn.

That's all I can report at this time.  lol

Hiya! I have an American friend doing this cruise in July with me!

Did you need any visa or extra documentation to do this cruise?

Any tips for an American experiencing this as his first cruise ever?! Thanks so much!

44 minutes ago, Grumpella said:

No extra documentation or visa needed.

I just think as an American your friend might be a little disappointed with the food. Just very different options than I have had on other cruises.

Thanks for your quick reply, much appreciated!

On 5/2/2023 at 1:55 PM, Britboys said:

Absolutely right Harry. The ones in the Aurora Horizon last summer were disgusting...

On Arcadia this month the omelettes were delicious - cooked freshly to order with a wide choice of fillings.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

On Arcadia this month the omelettes were delicious - cooked freshly to order with a wide choice of fillings.

I hope things are like that on Aurora this summer...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 11:45 PM, Grumpella said:

No extra documentation or visa needed.

I just think as an American your friend might be a little disappointed with the food. Just very different options than I have had on other cruises.

What cruise insurance did you get? He's not sure which one to get as an American

I bought the insurance from our TA, who said it would satisfy P and O. Since she is authorized to sell P and O cruises to Americans, I took her word for it.

When doing online check in, we were asked to give the name of our insurance company, address, phone number.

No questions were asked at embarkation. I did have my policy on my phone if needed.

7 minutes ago, Grumpella said:

I bought the insurance from our TA, who said it would satisfy P and O. Since she is authorized to sell P and O cruises to Americans, I took her word for it.

When doing online check in, we were asked to give the name of our insurance company, address, phone number.

No questions were asked at embarkation. I did have my policy on my phone if needed.

Thx- do you happen to know the name of the company.

The P&O agents said for non uk, insurance isn't mandatory. Although obvs defo getting it!

On 5/11/2023 at 9:12 PM, Grumpella said:

Lol, that is probably true, but we don’t pay extra for food on this side of the Atlantic either.

Well you do on all the Princess ships that we have been on, that is if you want to go to the speciality restaurants. Just the same as on P & O.  In all our years of cruising we have only paid for a speciality restaurant twice. 

Editing to mention omelettes. The ones in the MDR are great, they are not on the menu anymore for some reason but just ask for them. At least on Ventura, Iona and Arvia since Covid you can just ask. The ones in the buffet perhaps not so good, I never tried, didn’t look very appealing.

Edited by Jazzytelly
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jazzytelly said:

Editing to mention omelettes. The ones in the MDR are great, they are not on the menu anymore for some reason but just ask for them. At least on Ventura, Iona and Arvia since Covid you can just ask.

Thank you for mentioning this Jazzytelly.  We do like the occasional omelette, so great to know we can ask for it in the MDR.

1 hour ago, Grumpella said:

The name was General something.  Sorry I delete all my stuff after a cruise.  I would definitely get.  And I would be surprised if your friend did not need, out TA told us we did need.  Who knows.

Thanks, I booked it through the international P&O line direct and at least two agents said not mandatory for non uk people, but you'd be a fool not to get insurance lol

Thx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RA10 said:

Thank you for mentioning this Jazzytelly.  We do like the occasional omelette, so great to know we can ask for it in the MDR.

On Iona and Arvia you can also get freshly made omelettes in The Quays. We never had breakfast in there as they don’t do porridge but others said it was good. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2023 at 5:37 AM, Grumpella said:

Heya again!! Lol, do you know if it was an American insurance co.

My friend said he spoke to P&O american office and they said something about a british travel insurance?? But that doesn't make sense....

7 minutes ago, Grumpella said:

It was Generali Global and the address is ny, ny, so American. I only remembered the name because my daughter just went on MSC, and they use the same company.

Thx for ur quick response as always!

Emma cruises has pointed me in the right direction- life saver! x

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 10:15 AM, Presto2 said:

I'm surprised at this one. We've been with Celebrity 5 times now and can't ever remember them serving us tea / coffee at the table. Must have missed that one!

In the buffet it is self serve and table service on Celebrity.  I always just grab a cup myself as quicker.

On 5/10/2023 at 2:31 PM, Grumpella said:

It is very difficult to book P and O cruise for an American.  We had to use a certified travel agent and we don't get to see the prices, categories, etc..

I am doing the research now for Norway in 2024.  I have spoken to the certified travel agent for P&O Americas who did not seem to be very well versed.  We do use this travel agent agent (I do not think we are allowed to write their name) at times and they are fine to deal with but we are able to at least use the cruise line's website to gather more intel. We like to see the options and pick our room.  The process just seems so cumbersome if you are not in The UK.  You can not access anything on the site other than some general info.  An almost total lockout.

I kinda like the idea of being on a boat full of Brits, but the process to book is annoying and whereas your review did not totally put me off P&O, it has given me something to think about.  Thank you for your review.

2 hours ago, GoGAdawgsWin said:

Any pros/cons of using a UK based agent for P&O UK cruises v/a American for US citizens ?

Our Canadian relatives used our UK  TA when they sailed with us on P&O, but used a N American TA when they sailed on RCI with us. I dont think they experienced any difference.