In a handicap cabin, but dont need it.

jonthomas

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I wonder how anyone would have booked the H/C cabin  opening day 

The cruise Jon is complaining about is 2 yrs away  

It should have never been in the available inventory 

H/C cabins  should be on request only basis  until at least  final payment  then  they can put it in the open  pool

The H/C rooms are  NOT the same as the regular cabins

Next time onboard ask to have a look at one

JMO

For bookings on opening day, I give my TA a list of cabins I’ll accept. When she does the pre booking with her O rep all that information goes in. The algorithms then take over. It’s what pre booking is all about.

If one needs, or requires, a HC cabin then their TA can feed that information in during pre booking likewise. I’ll bet they’ll normally get that HC cabin.

For those adamant about DIY, and refuse to use a professional TA, then they’re playing against a stacked deck. That’s a cost associated with DIY. 

FWIW, the number of cruises selling out upon opening has been slim of late. That’s why Oceania has resorted to a number of special sales to book cabins and reduce inventory. 

If one truly has special needs and requires that HC cabin, then I believe they should book it early ( upon opening). I don’t believe Oceania should just keep cabin availability open for certain classes of people just in case they might want to book it 18 months from now.

• Like 2

Do not book without first studying the DECK PLANS. Carefully.

You can see the "Wheelchair Accessible" cabins and the "Connecting Staterooms", for example. Simple to tell the O rep that you don't want either (or do want either). Make sure you know the # of any possible room, to make sure it is "port" or "starboard" or "forward" or "aft". You can see how close their are to stairs and elevators. Or by a lounge or launderette.

Studying DECK PLANS and discussing cabins with O reps is not rocket science nor is it something only a PhD-level TA with decades of experience can do for you. We've had no problems booking the "right" rooms for us on "opening day" or during later sales. I've enjoyed using sale after sale to go from G to C to B to A, for example. Each time calling the O rep with the DECK PLAN in front of me.

• Like 4

Yes, I also told the O rep to book a cat B5, french balcony on opening day. He let us know he booked us a B5 and gave us a cabin number. Only later when I looked at the deck plan did I see it is HC and adjoining. I immediately told him I didnt want that, He said, it is 2 years away things will come up. I thought no more about it. 

Just heard back from my TA, she has us on a wait list for a regular cabin in the B5 cat, but I thought I could not be on a wait list for that since we already have a B5 cabin.

Anyway, many of you must think this is much ado about nothing and you are probably right. Unless you need a cabin like this and are frustrated as to why you cant get it. 

3 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

... He said, it is 2 years away things will come up. I thought no more about it. 

Just heard back from my TA, she has us on a wait list for a regular cabin in the B5 cat, but I thought I could not be on a wait list for that since we already have a B5 cabin....

On the possible bright side, you may find a cabin-upgrade sale that reduces your cost and upgrades your level. I've moved many times since I booked, in early 2022, our 2 cruises on Riviera in Oct-Nov 2023. And while I'm reasonably certain a better deal won't come along after the ESS, if it does, I'll take it. (Like they offer a real free or reduce upgrade two or so weeks before the cruise.)

I'm having fun with my September 2024 Baltic cruise on Sirena. Booked it on "opening day" in 2022. Two and 1/2 years in advance. Used the DECK PLAN to snag a "big" C1, 7006, up high. Even poked my head in it with permission of the cruiser while on Sirena 11/2022. BUT almost sadly I suspect I'll end up in a B or A after some future cabin sale upgrade! 

9 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

...Just heard back from my TA, she has us on a wait list for a regular cabin in the B5 cat, but I thought I could not be on a wait list for that since we already have a B5 cabin....

Just as for their "wait listing", I think it can be a "mess", with the computers keeping all sorts of old data. I booked an F for Riviera, but waitlisted a C, and then upgraded using a cabin-upgrade sale to an A3. When they sent me the new paperwork, it still showed the C wait listed! Had to call them to remind my O rep we'd deleted that when I booked the upgrade. It had just stayed intact even after I'd zoomed past it in cabin levels and had mentioned I didn't want it any more. So I'd bet your TA is accurate.

Yes agree with both your posts.

We are in a situation that we have been in many times when sales come up.  With this one again we have an excellent opening air rate and prem econ at 199. Now it is 649.

So when sales come up, we rarely benefit because of the good deal with air.

Of course you never know. Keeps things interesting. 

On 4/29/2023 at 11:31 AM, jonthomas said:

maybe should wait and offer to pay for an upgrade...it is two years away...

but I agree with the advice given here, NO way to sail in a handicap unless you need it....

Although we didn't need it, we were in an "accessible" cabin on another cruise line, and we loved it.  It was much larger than other cabins in the same category.  The bathroom was very large - large enough to accommodate a wheelchair.  It had a large walk-in shower.

Of course, that was a different line, ship, etc., so who knows what Vista's is like.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

If one needs, or requires, a HC cabin then their TA can feed that information in during pre booking likewise. I’ll bet they’ll normally get that HC cabin.

Some people may not decide to book opening day   not everyone wants to book 2 yrs out 

so I will disagree

But  yes  I give my TA  the cabin I want when I am ready to book   I do my research to see what is available 

Maybe some  that  are in a situation where  they decided to cruise  &  became H/C   due to  circumstances  beyond their control

Some lines will keep the H/C  cabins out of the online booking system  so those in need   will call to request  the  cabins

Of course  as always

YMMV

When you book a GTY or W/L    you  will not know what cabin you will get

You would hope  Oceania or any cruise line would  hold the  H/C cabins  back  for those that submit  paperwork that  they really need one

Not sure the ADA rules on that option

I do not book GTY or W/l  because I like to know where I am sleeping

If we get an upgrade I ask for the cabin # before accepting the offer

JMO

OK done with this

for those that feel it is acceptable to take a H/C cabin  let's just hope you never need one

I did not book a GTY, asked for specific cabin in cat b5.

O rep came back with a diff cabin. He said the big agencies got the other cabins, he got the last one. Only sometime later I saw it was HC and connecting.

He also just clarified that no way could my TA waitlist a cabin in the same cat. The only waitlist is for the higher b4 cat.

I have now said too many times that it is time to move on. Will only respond if someone else writes.

4 hours ago, jonthomas said:

I did not book a GTY, asked for specific cabin in cat b5.

O rep came back with a diff cabin. He said the big agencies got the other cabins, he got the last one. Only sometime later I saw it was HC and connecting.

He also just clarified that no way could my TA waitlist a cabin in the same cat. The only waitlist is for the higher b4 cat.

I have now said too many times that it is time to move on. Will only respond if someone else writes.

Ok

John this is what I think you should do 

Keep this cabin for now. The minute you  cancel Oceania is going to release it and chances are an able bodied person who might not be a sympathetic and kind as you will get it. 

Keep on top of your roll call over the next 2 years if anyone needs it. 

Prior to final payment post on your roll call and on this main board 

Also call Oceania dept that does special requests for accessibility. 

If I wanted this sailing I would be doing/checking all 3 of those things as a disabled person

I would be all over it when full payment was approaching because so many cabins drop off. 

I think you holding it will actually keep it more protected for a disabled person. 

Since your itinerary is a TA these usually appeal to a more experienced cruiser

and chances are they will belong to CruiseCritic or they will be sailing with someone who is on Here. 

When and if Oceania puts checks and balances in place it’s a different story, 

but I think you are the perfect person to hold and guard this cabin more than Oceania itself. 

Just my 2cents as the only confirmed disabled person on this thread that has lived through this scenario over and over! 

• Like 2

On 4/29/2023 at 10:06 AM, jonthomas said:

will keep watching it...

anyone in a handicap cabin and didnt need it? 

just doesnt feel right to be in it when someone else may really need it..

If someone booked the same cruise and needs handicap cabin, and it's not available, the cruise line would automatically (without contacting) assign to a person (who currently has that cabin and didn't request it to be handicap) a different cabin of the same category (even if a newly assigned cabin is located in an undesirable position of the ship) or higher (similar to guaranteed cabin category) - it's in fine print.  That's what my travel agent warned me on a few occasions within last 24 years.  So, there is no "need" to feel guilty.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

If someone booked the same cruise and needs handicap cabin, and it's not available, the cruise line would automatically (without contacting) assign to a person (who currently has that cabin and didn't request it to be handicap) a different cabin of the same category (even if a newly assigned cabin is located in an undesirable position of the ship) or higher (similar to guaranteed cabin category) - it's in fine print.  That's what my travel agent warned me on a few occasions within last 24 years.  So, there is no "need" to feel guilty.

Wow. I am pretty particular on cabin location on TAs so this would be awful. 

39 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Does not always work that way

sounds good on paper  but  in real life  it may not  happen

23 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Wow. I am pretty particular on cabin location on TAs so this would be awful. 

If you are not requesting a handicap cabin, don't book it., and there will be no issue for you.

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

Not sure I understand this.

The b5 and b4 are fully booked and waitlisted. We did not request this cabin only the  category. O rep  booked it. Only realized it was HC when I checked. I immediately told him it was a no go. He said don't worry about it, it is two years away. 

27 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Not sure I understand this.

The b5 and b4 are fully booked and waitlisted. We did not request this cabin only the  category. O rep  booked it. Only realized it was HC when I checked. I immediately told him it was a no go. He said don't worry about it, it is two years away. 

I don't know why he booked handicap cabin without your request (unless only that cabin was available at a time of booking), and what he meant by "don't worry".

Yes at opening day, that was all that was available. He said all the big agencies booked the rest first.

Because of our prem air deal at 199 and now 649, we are stuck...a much stronger word is needed here.

We will have to pay a great deal more to get into a diff cat, or cancel. Too bad that this time booking on the opening day of availability has put me into this muddle.

But as everyone says, you have 2 years, so move on.

20 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

I don't know why he booked handicap cabin without your request (unless only that cabin was available at a time of booking), and what he meant by "don't worry".

The same thing happened to us on our April 2025 cruise. There were several cabins available in our category, the Oceania agent booked a cabin for us and it turns out it's an accessible cabin. By the time I discovered that the cabin was accessible, the category was sold out. Upgrading would cost more than we're comfortable with, so I'm hoping for a price drop and then we'll change cabins.

Edited by patty1955

All I can hope for is a sale with the reduced prem econ air, but it is on a new ship so a sale is not likely to happen, besides it is selling very well.

I put it on roll call, letting others know that I have HC cabin and don't need it. No responses but it is very early.

Even if someone needed it, how would O unravel it, when nothing is available for the 2 lower categories, with huge wait lists.

Sure two years away, but with the situation as it is, I can't see that I have any options.

The O rep has put us on the huge wait list for one cat up, since you can't go on a wait list when you are already in that cat.

This totally defeats why I booked on opening day. This wait list cat is close to 1400pp more.

26 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

The same thing happened to us on our April 2025 cruise. There were several cabins available in our category, the Oceania agent booked a cabin for us and it turns out it's an accessible cabin. By the time I discovered that the cabin was accessible, the category was sold out. Upgrading would cost more than we're comfortable with, so I'm hoping for a price drop and then we'll change cabins.

Since an Oceania agent d (not a personal travel agent) did it without your consent, I would contact the cruise line for a complimentary upgrade, because unless you request the accessible cabin and other cabins are available in the same category, the agent may not book an accessible cabin, because they are specifically reserved for people who need them (it's just a mistake).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Since an Oceania agent d (not a personal travel agent) did it without your consent, I would contact the cruise line for a complimentary upgrade, because unless you request the accessible cabin and other cabins are available in the same category, the agent may not book an accessible cabin, because they are specifically reserved for people who need them (it's just a mistake).

How would I prove they chose the cabin?