Cabin access and cleaning

jkbec101

While I'm hoping for some recent feedback on the Escape (we sail June 11th), I'll take whatever reports I can get.

When NCL dropped from twice a day cabin cleaning to once a day, it also seemed to correspond to a delay in getting into one's cabin on embarkation and getting one's bags delivered.  

I am wondering if this has gotten any better.

1 hour ago, jkbec101 said:

While I'm hoping for some recent feedback on the Escape (we sail June 11th), I'll take whatever reports I can get.

When NCL dropped from twice a day cabin cleaning to once a day, it also seemed to correspond to a delay in getting into one's cabin on embarkation and getting one's bags delivered.  

Can speak for the escape but we were on the joy a few weeks ago and cabins were ready by 1:30pm and embarkation began at noon, so not to bad 

I was on the Escape in March - cabins were not opening until 3 and we were told this before we even boarded. Mine was in the last bunch to be opened.  My bag arrived before dinner, I know this as I decided to go to dinner at Le Bistro with another solo and needed long pants for that.  That I had to kick out the carpenter fixing one of the closet doors so I could have some privacy to change is a different story.  The solo meet was at 6 PM.

To be fair - there's no assurance in the cruise contract as to availability of cabins on embarkation day.  I get that everyone has gotten used to cabins being ready shortly after boarding, but it's certainly not guaranteed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

You are correct. Each room steward has more rooms to turn. We’re just off the Encore and it was somewhere between 2:00 and 2:30 when they opened the rooms. And there were continual admonishments to stay out of the rooms until they were available. 

This and another reason that there is no dining Dress Code on embarkation day - your luggage
may not have been delivered to your cabin.
The best situation is for an early arrival of the ship to turn around and leave in the late evening.
Thus giving the cabin crew and the rest of crew adequate time to get things straighten away.

8 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

This and another reason that there is no dining Dress Code on embarkation day - your luggage
may not have been delivered to your cabin.
The best situation is for an early arrival of the ship to turn around and leave in the late evening.
Thus giving the cabin crew and the rest of crew adequate time to get things straighten away.

This and disembarking passengers do a reality check that their cruise is over and they need to get out of their cabins (so that they can be turned). And then gorge themselves at the buffet on last time, then get off the ship. Party time has come to an end. 

We just got back on Monday from our 15-day Panama Canal cruise on the Encore. The embarkation process was really straightforward and we didn't wait long in the terminal before boarding (we found seats so it made the waiting a bit easier). Our cabin steward now has 24 rooms to service daily - he used to have 15 when he'd service the rooms twice each day. I don't recall a significant delay in getting access to our cabin on embarkation day...but it was really late when we finally got our 3 suitcases (like after dinner - yikes!). I was really starting to stress out about that! The disembarkation was really easy as well. We had breakfast in Savor and then waited in Sugarcane until our color was called. A bit of shuffling through the line to get off the ship and then chaos! HUGE line to get through Customs/Immigration. That process was the one that took the longest...nearly 5,000 passengers and only 7 Customs/Immigration people to process us all. 

1 hour ago, LCfromFL said:

We just got back on Monday from our 15-day Panama Canal cruise on the Encore. The embarkation process was really straightforward and we didn't wait long in the terminal before boarding (we found seats so it made the waiting a bit easier). Our cabin steward now has 24 rooms to service daily - he used to have 15 when he'd service the rooms twice each day. I don't recall a significant delay in getting access to our cabin on embarkation day...but it was really late when we finally got our 3 suitcases (like after dinner - yikes!). I was really starting to stress out about that! The disembarkation was really easy as well. We had breakfast in Savor and then waited in Sugarcane until our color was called. A bit of shuffling through the line to get off the ship and then chaos! HUGE line to get through Customs/Immigration. That process was the one that took the longest...nearly 5,000 passengers and only 7 Customs/Immigration people to process us all. 

When we got off the Joy in April in Miami Disembarkation was differant then anything i ever seen. When you scanned your face at the Gangway, there was one Customs officers there, if it went green you walked off, red had to show Identification to Customs agent. In our group i was the only one traveling with a passport and i was green the other 6 in our group traveled with birth certificates and they all went red. But once checked you were done, no checks in the terminal.

@wolft927 that's how it was when I got off the Joy in Miami last year.  Getting off the Escape in PC this year I didn't get that scan until inside the terminal, after luggage pick up, but it was the same facial recognition scan.  They had 6-8 of the terminals set up and staffed with CBP agents.