Antarctica cabin portside or starboard?

Gawker

We are ready to book the Oosterdam next winter for the Buenos Aires to Santiago Antarctica cruise. Does it matter which side of the ship the cabin is on for views of Antarctica? 

Much asked question. It doesn't matter, because you will have to be inside in crowsnest or lido to view from both sides. Best is to go outside either on the front bow, if it is open, or on the pooldeck aft. If you restrict yourself to just one side you will be missing a lot.

• Like 3

When sights or events are really spectacular, the ship often maneuvers around so both sides get the views.

We had an extraordinary whale watching event in one of the Antarctic lagoon areas and even there the captain maneuvered the ship so both sides could see them circling, bubbling and breaching.

The whales apparently paid no attention to us, and kept up their massive krill feast in those secluded waters. Captain reported the krill was so dense it interfered with their navigation equipment.

• Like 1

@Gawker Since the cruise goes fromBA to Santiago, I would pick starboard so you can see the land and instead of the ocean for the part of the cruise around SA, particularly the Chilean fjords.

• Like 1

Just now, 0106 said:

@Gawker Since the cruise goes fromBA to Santiago, I would pick starboard so you can see the land and instead of the ocean for the part of the cruise around SA, particularly the Chilean fjords.

In the chilean fjords again both sides are interesting. As for traveling over sea around SA the ship will be too far from land to see anything significant. We went from Rio to santiago on our first cruise and I thought the same and picked a cabin on the starboard side. Land was only a small stripe on the horizon.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jakkojakko said:

In the chilean fjords again both sides are interesting. As for traveling over sea around SA the ship will be too far from land to see anything significant. We went from Rio to santiago on our first cruise and I thought the same and picked a cabin on the starboard side. Land was only a small stripe on the horizon.

Exactly 

• Like 1