Shipping luggage ahead of cruise

jaykay3

My wife and I are taking the NCL Breakaway out of Civitavecchia Port (Rome) for a 10-day Mediterranean cruise departing Sept 3, 2023. We are flying out of Philadelphia a few days ahead of time to explore Milan/Switzerland and do not want to drag our larger cruise luggage with us.

Has anyone used a luggage shipping service that ships your luggage from your hometown to the port or even to the cruise ship at the start of their cruise? Overseas? Looks like LuggageForward and ShipGo are 2 options and the going rate is $300-400 per bag.

Any advice or recommendations is appreciated.  Thanks, John

We have friends who did this last summer when the airlines were experiencing delays at Heathrow, etc.  They said it worked great.  One thing to be aware of - she forgot about the limited liquids on carry on and was caught with some that had to be tossed.  

$300 - $400 per bag seems about right. We used this service when coming home, so no issue. I can only add that you may want to ensure that whomever or whatever is on the receiving end is aware of and agreeable to receiving parcels.

I can easily see how $300 to not have to drag your luggage around would be 'worth it'.  But I'd not have even the slightest hope that my bag would be waiting for me at a port.  The only way I'd do that would be to book an expensive room at a Hilton where I have status and ask the concierge to accept the bag, tipping well.  Then come back to that Hilton the night before the cruise.  And hope that the bag is there.  Shipping luggage has just has never struck me as being even remotely reliable.  

• Like 1

I have used Luggage Forward before and it worked great and yes, it was about 350.00. In my case, I used them to ship my luggage home from Barcelona to here in the states. Guest Services on the ship helped me (I had hurt my leg while on my cruise) and it was much easier for me to not have to worry about that checked bag. Luggage Forward came to the port and picked up the bag and I had it within 3 days after I arrived home🙂 So, yes I would recommend them and I am actually thinking about using them again in August. Haven't made a final decision yet......but, I would use Luggage Forward again.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shorne said:

Someone just mentioned that sending four suitcases would have cost US$3000. Unbelievable.

So that would be 750.00 per suitcase. I used Luggage Forward and paid about 350.00-375.00 (can't remember exactly) but I know it was not 750.00. Not sure why they are are being charged that amount.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I can easily see how $300 to not have to drag your luggage around would be 'worth it'.  But I'd not have even the slightest hope that my bag would be waiting for me at a port.  The only way I'd do that would be to book an expensive room at a Hilton where I have status and ask the concierge to accept the bag, tipping well.  Then come back to that Hilton the night before the cruise.  And hope that the bag is there.  Shipping luggage has just has never struck me as being even remotely reliable.  

That is the way to do it......send it to the hotel🙂 I am staying at a The Conrad London St James and am thinking about shipping my luggage to them for my next cruise. (It is a Hilton Property LOL). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lois R said:

That is the way to do it......send it to the hotel🙂 I am staying at a The Conrad London St James and am thinking about shipping my luggage to them for my next cruise. (It is a Hilton Property LOL). 

I'm thinking The Conrad is a little bit more than just "a Hilton property".... LOL

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I'm thinking The Conrad is a little bit more than just "a Hilton property".... LOL

Yes, but it is part of the Hilton Brand.......I have heard it is supposed to be really nice🙂

The 'big-deal' Hiltons are great, but the Conrads and Waldorfs of the world are really special.  I once walked out on the terrace of Conrad's Exec Lounge in Istanbul and an attendant had a cashmere shawl around my shoulders before my bottom hit the chair.  Hilton Honors' redemptions have skyrocketed, but those 'big deal' hotels are so worth the points.  Especially now when we can book with a combo of HH points and cash. The Paris Hilton and the Versailles Waldorf last month couldn't do enough for me.  I'd definitely trust them with my luggage ... both of the Hiltons' Concierge Desks contacted me directly the week before my arrival to remind me they were there to help.  

Edited by jsn55

We did Luggage Free to an Azamara cruise last fall. Only one hiccup. But the luggage went from Arizona to the cruise ship in Amsterdam just fine. The hiccup was the return. But the change of plans worked with our luggage going from a hotel in Paris to our home in Arizona. We would consider doing it again as needed.

JMHO, if your luggage is too large to drag around with you for a few days; you are packing too much. I've done a month each traveling around South America and Asia with a bag that wasn't too much to handle easily myself. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

JMHO, if your luggage is too large to drag around with you for a few days; you are packing too much. I've done a month each traveling around South America and Asia with a bag that wasn't too much to handle easily myself. 

Then I guess you are a much more exceptional and remarkable person than I.

JMHO (if that counts)

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Some of us chose to pack for our own pleasure and tastes; we like to have choices each day and each evening.  We enjoy looking our best and give our ensembles a lot of thought.  We've all read about people who wear the same pair of shoes out trekking and to dinner.  They pack 97 pieces of clothing in a bag that fits under the seat in front of them on the airplane.  The idea of doing a 3-week cruise like that gives me the willies.  More power to y'all!

• Like 2