🛳️ Live (hopefully) from Crown Princess May 12 - 23

Coral

Thanks for posting, Coral. You have helped me before in Alaskan forum. I am having pangs as i booked a royal caribbean cruise as i had a cruise certificate but this cruise looks great. I like the amount of seafood on the dining menu and the waffle bar sounds so fun! Definitely i want to go whale watching in icy straight another time. Just a note for those starting at vancouver that there is a steak restaurant called chops steak house that is about a 5 minute walk from Canada Place near the convention centre. Miku sushi is also lovely. If you are going solo make sure you dine at the huge bar! Enjoy your cruises everyone!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks for posting, Coral. You have helped me before in Alaskan forum. I am having pangs as i booked a royal caribbean cruise as i had a cruise certificate but this cruise looks great. I like the amount of seafood on the dining menu and the waffle bar sounds so fun! Definitely i want to go whale watching in icy straight another time. Just a note for those starting at vancouver that there is a steak restaurant called chops steak house that is about a 5 minute walk from Canada Place near the convention centre. Miku sushi is also lovely. If you are going solo make sure you dine at the huge bar! Enjoy your cruises everyone!

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations! 

The waffle/crepe bar rotated in the afternoon. One day waffle, next day crepe. It was pretty good but one day, the guy manning it went to help someone else and left it unattended - it was sort of weird. I think he was new and he didn't know he had to deal with the crepes (and then you add your toppings). The gal was so much better. I preferred the waffles to the crepes. More substance 🙂 

Enjoy your cruise!

I do think the whale watching in Icy Strait was one of my better ones. I was on a boat doing a different trip once (Adventure Bound, glacier) and ran into a ton of orcas. So that was pretty amazing but from a whale watching trip by itself - I highly recommend Glacier Wind in ICP.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, martincath said:

Our Coasting Trade act is fundamentally the same as a combo of Jones and PVSA - in that very similar rules apply to both passengers and goods in a single piece of legislation. We're efficient that way up here - since we have to write everything twice (French and English) it's already twice the work!!! We have different specific exemptions but similar 'common sense' exemptions in principle - e.g. many of the small coastal/island towns and villages need supplied by air or water, so if something happened to a regular Canadian-run 'lifeline route' a foreign vessel could step in they'd be allowed to until a Canadian boat was able to operate it again.

The same basic principles apply to the vast majority of developed countries - Nobody wants foreigners stealing their jobs basically, especially if there's a potential 'race to the bottom' on safety standards for passenger transportation!

Someone boarding a cruise ship in Van would absolutely be denied disembarking in Vic 100% of the time unless it was an unscheduled emergency, just like someone boarding in LA would not be allowed off in Seattle unless it was a trip that include a Distant Foreign Port; but cutting short a loop that started in the US by getting off in Vic is no problem legally - a cruise between two different countries is never the subject of coastwise trade, by definition!

Thanks so much for your comprehensive explanation. It sounds like we won't be able to hop off in Victoria, although my neighbour assures me they did get permission to do so on their Alaska cruise, as they also didn't want to come back from Vancouver.

Coral, I think you said you saw some passengers disembarking in Victoria?

Edited by SeaCBear

27 minutes ago, SeaCBear said:

Thanks so much for your comprehensive explanation. It sounds like we won't be able to hop off in Victoria, although my neighbour assures me they did get permission to do so on their Alaska cruise, as they also didn't want to come back from Vancouver.

I probably did say that - I meant - I spoke with several passengers who had told me they had planned on doing so. I do not know if it happened. I wonder if they assumed they could. I didn't actually see them disembarking.

I think on a RT Seattle cruise, they could disembark in Victoria. In the same way that one can cruise from Seattle to Vancouver.

Edited by Coral

Just now, Coral said:

I probably did say that - I meant - I spoke with several passengers who had told me they had planned on doing so. I do not know if it happened. I wonder if they assumed they could. I didn't actually see them disembarking.

Ah, got it. Thanks Coral. I just did an online chat with Princess and they said no, we can't disembark in Victoria. 

So, we'll come back from Vancouver. Certainly not the end of the world. It's a beautiful ferry ride back to the island, and we'll get our last dinner and drinks on board the Crown Princess. 🙂

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SeaCBear said:

A one-way from the AK end, or RT from Seattle, would both be totes legit and many Victorians do exactly that. I think they're actually scared of the mainland, really 😉

Every example I can recall where someone said 'but what about X' in relation to coastwise rules having been broken for them ended up being "Oh, yeah, we bought a CRUISE from San Diego but they actually bussed us to Ensenada to embark" or similar...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SeaCBear said:

Ah, got it. Thanks Coral. I just did an online chat with Princess and they said no, we can't disembark in Victoria. 

So, we'll come back from Vancouver. Certainly not the end of the world. It's a beautiful ferry ride back to the island, and we'll get our last dinner and drinks on board the Crown Princess. 🙂

Enjoy your cruise! I hope you have great weather.

1 minute ago, Coral said:

Enjoy your cruise! I hope you have great weather.

Thanks again Coral. And thanks again for your terrific 'live' post.  I know it was no doubt a lot of work for you, but it was very informative, entertaining and much appreciated by me and many others. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Hi Coral, Just wondering if they still do afternoon tea on the ship? I don’t recall you mentioning it but i may have missed it.

In all of my Princess cruises - I have never attended this. I keep saying I should.

I just checked the patters and yes, it was offered on sea days.

@Coral,  I really appreciate all your kind information.  I'm wondering if Princess videos the various Naturalist Presentation so they can be watched in the cabin if you miss them in person. I'm wondering because on our upcoming trip they have switched Rachel Moreno's presentation around so that now it's at the same time as our Meet & Greet.  And Libby Riddle's presentation is now in the middle of the afternoon in Juneau.

My memory is that they do video these presentation and they are available to watch in the cabin but it would be great to have confirmation if you know.

thanks!

53 minutes ago, miagirl said:

@Coral,  I really appreciate all your kind information.  I'm wondering if Princess videos the various Naturalist Presentation so they can be watched in the cabin if you miss them in person. I'm wondering because on our upcoming trip they have switched Rachel Moreno's presentation around so that now it's at the same time as our Meet & Greet.  And Libby Riddle's presentation is now in the middle of the afternoon in Juneau.

My memory is that they do video these presentation and they are available to watch in the cabin but it would be great to have confirmation if you know.

thanks!

Yes they do but not always. I do know Rachel Moreno's presentation was filmed - her talk was early on our cruise (first sea day I believe and she got off the ship in Sitka). Princess Rachel is such a sweet person. Definitely a real Alaskan. Allan's was also recorded - he isn't the most dynamic speaker - sort of monotone. I know in years past I have watched Libby's on television - I didn't see it this time on the television but I wasn't looking for hers as I attended hers in person (which was mostly a video now though she did answer questions). I was packing and lost track of time when Rachel Cartwright's last talk was on our ship (I know she is on Cunard now) and I missed it. It was the last sea day. I kept checking the next day after I got back to the ship in Victoria and her last presentation was never uploaded. I was disappointed as she definitely was a highlight on our sailing.

It was sort of difficult to find on the television but I am sure you will find it. Hopefully they will remember to upload the presentation.

I am so sorry Libby's talk is earlier. Hopefully they film it. Again, I wish I could remember if I saw it on TV but I don't remember.

Ryan Redington was also on our ship doing a talk one night (2023 Iditarod champion) and I missed that all together. His was never on tv. It wasn't until I watched the morning show that they were talking about it and Libby mentioned it so it must have been Skagway day??? Hopefully he comes on your ship also.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Coral said:

Yes they do but not always. I do know Rachel Moreno's presentation was filmed - her talk was early on our cruise (first sea day I believe and she got off the ship in Sitka). Princess Rachel is such a sweet person. Definitely a real Alaskan. Allan's was also recorded - he isn't the most dynamic speaker - sort of monotone. I know in years past I have watched Libby's on television - I didn't see it this time on the television but I wasn't looking for hers as I attended hers in person (which was mostly a video now though she did answer questions). I was packing and lost track of time when Rachel Cartwright's last talk was on our ship (I know she is on Cunard now) and I missed it. It was the last sea day. I kept checking the next day after I got back to the ship in Victoria and her last presentation was never uploaded. I was disappointed as she definitely was a highlight on our sailing.

It was sort of difficult to find on the television but I am sure you will find it. Hopefully they will remember to upload the presentation.

I am so sorry Libby's talk is earlier. Hopefully they film it. Again, I wish I could remember if I saw it on TV but I don't remember.

Ryan Redington was also on our ship doing a talk one night (2023 Iditarod champion) and I missed that all together. His was never on tv. It wasn't until I watched the morning show that they were talking about it and Libby mentioned it so it must have been Skagway day??? Hopefully he comes on your ship also.

Thanks so much for the quick response!  Now if we can get some officers to show at our M&G, we can let them know that it's important to upload these presentations.

5 hours ago, miagirl said:

Thanks so much for the quick response!  Now if we can get some officers to show at our M&G, we can let them know that it's important to upload these presentations.

@baybeach11 invited the officers to ours with invites and dropped them off immediately after they got onboard. We didn't think they would show up because they were scheduled to attend a gathering for new Princess cruisers at the same exact time.

They actually did show up quicker than I thought they would (and dressed appropriately). 🙂 They stayed for probably 10-15 minutes. I thought they would show up towards the end of our 1 hour gathering and they probably showed up 15 minutes into it.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, miagirl said:

As soon as you board, go talk to the Events planner, Rahana, right by the Wheelhouse Bar.  Or try to contact her now, if you can figure out how to do that.  If you see Santosh, the Manager of Beverages and Bars, at the Meet and Greet, please give him my regards!  He helped facilitate our Sailaway and Meet and Greet and is such a great guy!!  

Vicki Sprague

baybeach11

• Like 1

Coral, I am always late to these Live Froms, and I just discovered yours and read it straight through. Your pics were amazing, and I know how difficult it is to upload them from a ship in Alaska, so I especially appreciate your time and effort. Thanks for bringing us along!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Coral, I am always late to these Live Froms, and I just discovered yours and read it straight through. Your pics were amazing, and I know how difficult it is to upload them from a ship in Alaska, so I especially appreciate your time and effort. Thanks for bringing us along!

Thank you. I felt dizzy at times trying to post when the screen kept redrawing! It will be great (if and when) all the ships get better internet. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, baybeach11 said:

As soon as you board, go talk to the Events planner, Rahana, right by the Wheelhouse Bar.  Or try to contact her now, if you can figure out how to do that.  If you see Santosh, the Manager of Beverages and Bars, at the Meet and Greet, please give him my regards!  He helped facilitate our Sailaway and Meet and Greet and is such a great guy!!  

Vicki Sprague

baybeach11

@baybeach11, thanks!  @Coral said that you dropped off invitations as soon as you boarded.  Did you do actual invitations, or did you just need to talk to Rahana?  

Tagging @sprowlie, as she's on our sailing and has been working on the M&G for us.

2 hours ago, miagirl said:

@baybeach11, thanks!  @Coral said that you dropped off invitations as soon as you boarded.  Did you do actual invitations, or did you just need to talk to Rahana?  

Tagging @sprowlie, as she's on our sailing and has been working on the M&G for us.

I did take actual invitations but Rahana helped me out by sending an email to the Officers, but she had been given a heads up somehow a few weeks before our cruise.  

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 8:02 AM, memoak said:

I would much rather eat in the MDR close to other tables with plated dishes than the buffet with people crowded in and sharing serving utensils   Just my preference and I have had Covid twice on cruises in the last 8 months. Per my doctor I should be swimming in immunity and in fact they will not give me another booster till after my June cruises

We are on this itinerary in August so I am snooping on here checking out the MDR menus. We got covid after a California coast cruise on the Discovery in March. Just curious - how long did your doctor say your immunity would last? Debating getting a booster b4 cruise but wonder if March bout of covid gave us enough immunity. 

Hi Coral!  Could you do me a huge favor if you still have the Patters, and look through them for how many and what day and time Rachael's (the naturalist) talks were please?  A friend of mine has been asked to be the naturalist on Crown for a few weeks and is wondering.

25 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Hi Coral!  Could you do me a huge favor if you still have the Patters, and look through them for how many and what day and time Rachael's (the naturalist) talks were please?  A friend of mine has been asked to be the naturalist on Crown for a few weeks and is wondering.

Rachel Cartwright is no longer on the Crown Princess. She is now on Cunard for the rest of the summer. Rachel Moreno maybe on - (Princess Rachel of Sitka). She was only on from Vancouver to Sitka. I think the other naturalist may still be on - his name was Allan Conlin. He isn't as dynamic as Rachel Cartwright is as a speaker.

I do still have the Patters. Let me know what info you want now.

Edited by Coral

On 6/9/2023 at 7:34 PM, Coral said:

Thank you. I felt dizzy at times trying to post when the screen kept redrawing! It will be great (if and when) all the ships get better internet. 

Reminder: If you aren't uploading pictures just type your entire post in Word or Wordpad or Notepad or, if on a MAC, whatever the equivalent is for simple text files. Once that is done and you have proofread the thing, copy and paste it into your post. It will be much easier on you than fighting the Internet connection.