Cruise to Europe in the fall

We've been on 3 Caribbean cruises but haven't been on a cruise in 20 years.  We are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and considering a European cruise.  We have about 10 days total so thinking of a 7-day cruise.  We are in our early 50's but would prefer a younger crowd over an older one.  Will most likely go in mid-late October or early Nov.   We like to keep busy and have a good time.  You won't find us reading a book in the library.  We like entertainment and things to do on the ship.  We like good food but are certainly not foodies.  The budget is around $5k coming from Boston including airfare but we can add to that for excursions and our pre and post-stay or if it were for an extraordinary cruise.  We don't care too much about our type of cabin as we're not in it much.  The only place we've been to in Europe in England and Ireland so open to any ports.  Would love your recommendations!

Welcome to Cruise Critics.
In October and November, the best opportunities are in the western Mediterranean - here the weather is still fine. In the eastern Mediterranean a bit colder.
If you have 10 days, use the extra days before the cruise to minimize the risk of flight delays and jet lag. And fly home directly after.

If you have a favorite cruise line from your Caribbean cruises I would suggest you see what options they have.

Although it's not peak season, you may find it challenging to fit your cruise + airfare for two plus a pre-cruise hotel night or two into your $5,000 budget -- have you priced flights to Europe? They are $$, but perhaps since you are from MA you can look for options from several different airports.

Cruises to the Med often are very port intensive with less focus on "party party party" entertainment at night. I would look to NCL, RCCL and Carnival for a livelier atmosphere.

I somewhat disagree that the Eastern Med is cooler in the Fall. Certainly the Greek Islands remain a good possibility.  It's more about staying in the southern areas of the Med. Southern Italy and Spain also work but France and northern Italy can be cooler and rainy.

• Like 2

We have found cruising in the Med in November can be a little cool.  May be luck of the draw or location.  

I agree with the comment to go a few days early for a 7 day cruise then return directly.  It helps with any jet lag 

I suggest using a travel agent who can help coordinate it all. And tell the cruise line it’s a special celebration! 

Congratulations on your anniversary.  

One advantage of cruising at that time of year is that ports in the Mediterranean will be a lot less crowded. Plenty of cruise lines going there at that time of year. I agree with the comments that airfare has become almost shocking. We are cruising in November with Oceania, a more expensive line than we've done in the past, as they have prices that include airfare and some credit for excursions.

I would focus on an eastern Med itinerary. We have been there twice in the fall- last Nov and in 2019 Nov and Dec. The weather was close to perfect most days with just a bit of rain. So, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey, Israel.

I think your budget is totally unrealistic, airfare alone will take a majority, I would look at cruises from Barcelona, Barcelona has very reasonable hotels , restaurants etc . Definitely count on two day pre cruise stay ,

3 hours ago, George C said:

I think your budget is totally unrealistic, airfare alone will take a majority, I would look at cruises from Barcelona, Barcelona has very reasonable hotels , restaurants etc . Definitely count on two day pre cruise stay ,

We are on a cruise Barcelona to Istanbul next November, and planning to stay two days before the cruise. Recommendations for a hotel or hotels in Barcelona? 

18 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

We are on a cruise Barcelona to Istanbul next November, and planning to stay two days before the cruise. Recommendations for a hotel or hotels in Barcelona? 

We loved hotel universal Barcelona it had a cool rooftop pool and bar with a great view of the city , we had a suite on 9th floor just below the roof , great location a short walk from the Main Street.

1 hour ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

There's a forum under the Ports of Call section here for Spain and it has a long discussion (sticky) on hotels in Barcelona. I would recommend going there and sifting through the various recommendations given.

Personally I like the H10 chain of boutique hotels; I think there are several in Barcelona. I've stayed at the H10 Raco del Pi -- well located in the Gothic quarter without being right ON Las Ramblas (which can be a little frenetic).

• Like 1

You might look into transAtlantic repositionings from the Med in October/November. Often the line has inexpensive eastbound flights, the cruise fare is generally lower on a per day basis, you have the opportunity to spend a few days in/near port of embarkation, and you could enjoy several Med and/ or Atlantic island ports on your cruise.  We have done this ten times.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You might look into transAtlantic repositionings from the Med in October/November. Often the line has inexpensive eastbound flights, the cruise fare is generally lower on a per day basis, you have the opportunity to spend a few days in/near port of embarkation, and you could enjoy several Med and/ or Atlantic island ports on your cruise.  We have done this ten times.

I just checked a few - inside cabin per person prices noted are very low -

Celebrity Reflection - 10/19 -11/2 Barcelona - Fla. $1,249 per.

Carnival Freedom - 10/23- 11/1 Barcelona - Port Canaveral $569. per.

Norwegian Breakaway 11/2 - 11/26 Rome - New York  $599 per

Each has several Med port calls and one or two Atlantic islands.  Of course outside or balcony cabins would be more - but still possibly within your budget.  

Check them out —- there are very many as the lines are bring their ships back from the Med for the winter Caribbean season and fares are very low.

• Like 1

Our Barcelona cruise was 7 years ago but I was amazed on how cheap it was for eating and drinking, on our first day there we stopped a a local bar/tapas restaurant and ordered a couple of beers was definitely expecting to Pat 5 euros each or more , total price was 3 euros, I asked why it was so cheap and was told it was happy hour .

On 5/14/2023 at 10:33 PM, navybankerteacher said:

I just checked a few - inside cabin per person prices noted are very low -

Celebrity Reflection - 10/19 -11/2 Barcelona - Fla. $1,249 per.

Carnival Freedom - 10/23- 11/1 Barcelona - Port Canaveral $569. per.

Norwegian Breakaway 11/2 - 11/26 Rome - New York  $599 per

Each has several Med port calls and one or two Atlantic islands.  Of course outside or balcony cabins would be more - but still possibly within your budget.  

Check them out —- there are very many as the lines are bring their ships back from the Med for the winter Caribbean season and fares are very low.

Would love to do this but unfortunately we only have about 10 days total.  We still have kids at home and a relative that's only willing to babysit for a certain amount of time.

What about RC Symphony of the Seas out of Barcelona on October 15th?  We could get a balcony room (cruise picks our room) for $2373 for the two of us and direct flights from Boston are currently $1150 for two.  Ports are Palma de Mallorca, Provence, Florence, Rome, Naples and one day at sea. Any thoughts on that itinerary or the ship?  

6 hours ago, Cruisingnew123 said:

Would love to do this but unfortunately we only have about 10 days total.  We still have kids at home and a relative that's only willing to babysit for a certain amount of time.

What about RC Symphony of the Seas out of Barcelona on October 15th?  We could get a balcony room (cruise picks our room) for $2373 for the two of us and direct flights from Boston are currently $1150 for two.  Ports are Palma de Mallorca, Provence, Florence, Rome, Naples and one day at sea. Any thoughts on that itinerary or the ship?  

Good itinerary - and returning to Barcelona probably make air fare more reasonable.

I prefer smaller ships, but that deal seems to work with your time/expense frames.

Do keep in mind the trans-Atlantic repositioning for the future when you have more time - a great way to combine some land visit with a cruise that gets you most of the way home.

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Do keep in mind the trans-Atlantic repositioning for the future when you have more time - a great way to combine some land visit with a cruise that gets you most of the way home.

The trade-off being that you will see fewer places in Europe on such a cruise, and they will tend to be places enroute home (e.g., Western Med), which may not be the ones you really want to see...

I have just retired, but up until now I would not have considered a trans-Atlantic cruise with limited time off from work. If I have a week -- or 10 days, or whatever -- I want to spend that time IN Europe, not using 5-6 days for crossing the ocean onboard a ship. 

Now that I am no longer working, and the price of airfare continues to be sky high, I might consider it, but probably would be in addition to a previous cruise or previous land travel in Europe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The trade-off being that you will see fewer places in Europe on such a cruise, and they will tend to be places enroute home (e.g., Western Med), which may not be the ones you really want to see...

I have just retired, but up until now I would not have considered a trans-Atlantic cruise with limited time off from work. If I have a week -- or 10 days, or whatever -- I want to spend that time IN Europe, not using 5-6 days for crossing the ocean onboard a ship. 

Now that I am no longer working, and the price of airfare continues to be sky high, I might consider it, but probably would be in addition to a previous cruise or previous land travel in Europe.

Of course - ideally it is the way to come home from a land trip in Europe.  But you should not ignore the Med ports likely included .  We have had TA sailings from Rome which stopped at Livorno, Monte Carlo, Sardinia, Corsica, Malaga, Barcelona, Cadiz, Porto, and Lisbon (among others) which may complement an earlier eastern Med cruise.— not to mention the Canaries, Azores, Madeira en route.

The fact remains: it is a leisurely way to come back from Europe - often at a cost well below that of a flight.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course - ideally it is the way to come home from a land trip in Europe.  But you should not ignore the Med ports likely included .  We have had TA sailings from Rome which stopped at Livorno, Monte Carlo, Sardinia, Corsica, Malaga, Barcelona, Cadiz, Porto, and Lisbon (among others) which may complement an earlier eastern Med cruise.— not to mention the Canaries, Azores, Madeira en route.

The fact remains: it is a leisurely way to come back from Europe - often at a cost well below that of a flight.

Sure; just pointing out the down side. If I am on a 10-day cruise and I want to see some of Europe, I want 8-9 solid ports, not 4-5 ports and 5-6 days at sea.

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sure; just pointing out the down side. If I am on a 10-day cruise and I want to see some of Europe, I want 8-9 solid ports, not 4-5 ports and 5-6 days at sea.

I was not suggesting it as a way to “ …see some of Europe…”, rather as a comfortable and economic way to come home from a trip to Europe (while allowing an opportunity to see those extra 4-5 ports).

Of course, if someone does not like sea days it would not be advisable.l

44 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I was not suggesting it as a way to “ …see some of Europe…”, rather as a comfortable and economic way to come home from a trip to Europe (while allowing an opportunity to see those extra 4-5 ports).

Of course, if someone does not like sea days it would not be advisable.l

Sorry -- as the OP said they only had 10 days available, my assumption was that you were recommending the transatlantic as their cruise, not as a way home (which would make little sense given their constraints).  Good to clarify as the OP may also have been confused.

On 5/16/2023 at 2:49 PM, Cruisingnew123 said:

You can get roundtrip air for $1,150. for two? That's amazing.

10 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

You can get roundtrip air for $1,150. for two? That's amazing.

Yes - some air fares are very low - but I do not think any in that price range are “direct” and certainly not non stop. Most seem to have lay-overs , some in places as close as Madrid, but others in places like Iceland or the Azores — a bit risky if cutting time close as OP wants to .