Nav App

Kate45

Upcoming cruise is our first since Covid so we are new to this  Navigator App thing. Although we have one cell phone between hubby and myself (I know, I know crazy right?), we will not be using it on this cruise unless it's an emergency or to take pics. We don't have data on our plan. Don't use it, don't need it. So my question is.....what are we to do? I understand you need to download pics of ourselves for check in etc. How will not having this app affect us? Thanks for your advice and help

2 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

Upcoming cruise is our first since Covid so we are new to this  Navigator App thing. Although we have one cell phone between hubby and myself (I know, I know crazy right?), we will not be using it on this cruise unless it's an emergency or to take pics. We don't have data on our plan. Don't use it, don't need it. So my question is.....what are we to do? I understand you need to download pics of ourselves for check in etc. How will not having this app affect us? Thanks for your advice and help

No - not crazy, only one cell phone for us as well.

You don't actually need data to run their app while on the ship, so you may want think about at least trying it for this cruise. I don't think It's totally necessary, but it can be useful and i would recommend at least giving it a shot.

@Kate45, is your cell phone a smartphone? If it's not,  I'm not sure that you can even download the app.  If you put your phone in airplane mode on the ship you won't need a data plan. 

• Like 1

We too don't use the Navigator app - have basic cellphones only. No need to have it to board or preload photos. We do use the HAL Navigator on our laptops though. We find it helpful but not necessary. If you will have a laptop with you, I can post a PDF file with instructions. On board, instructions are in staterooms for smartphones but not laptops.

There was a mention that we need pictures of ourselves for check-in.  The last HAL cruise I was on, they used the pictures they had on file from previous cruises.  Or, they would shoot a new one at check-in.   Are we now supposed to have current pictures on our phone for check-in?

4 minutes ago, mikebsxm said:

Are we now supposed to have current pictures on our phone for check-in?

Phones are NOT needed for embarkation. If HAL does not have a previous photo of you, one will be taken. Some passengers prefer to have their documents only on their phones. Others have documents on their phones but also bring printed copies just in case the system fails. Some of us don't have any documents on our phones and bring printouts.

• Like 1

Lots of people don't own a cell phone, but are still allowed to cruise on HAL. They have procedures to do their job and get whatever needs completing done, including taking your picture and getting it in the system. 
Don't worry about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebsxm said:

There was a mention that we need pictures of ourselves for check-in.  The last HAL cruise I was on, they used the pictures they had on file from previous cruises.  Or, they would shoot a new one at check-in.   Are we now supposed to have current pictures on our phone for check-in?

It was the opinion of someone thst having your picture on navigator sped up the process. I don’t see how.   I uploaded a picture once and they took it again anyway.