Galataport Cruise Terminal

I read that the new cruise terminal takes a long time to walk through after getting off cruise ship. Our ship just rescheduled arrival at 10:00 vs 9:00. We had reserved a boat excursion whereby they say the latest they now could pick us up, at the dock is 10:40. Is this doable?

Thanks.

Lots of factors can impact the answer.  Your exact docking position (within the port) which will be unknown until you dock.  How long it will take to get the gangway in position and clear your ship?  How fast you can walk?  Exactly where your excursion boat docks vis-a-vis your ship?

If your excursion operator is not willing to wait (in case you are a little late) we would be uncomfortable with the arrangement unless the excursion operator were willing to refund any pre-payment.

Hank

We are booked on a 21 day sailing, Athens to Athens, that includes an overnight in Istanbul on October 4th.  Since our ship docks at noon on the 4th, we would like to take an afternoon cruise tour on the Bosporus Straight.  Is it reasonable to plan a 2pm excursion if we are docked at Galataport terminal?  If so, what is the best way to get to the excursion port, tram, walking ?  I’ve read that traffic can be heavy, has anyone used a taxi?  I have been unable to find a tour operator who will pick us up at the port.  Our ship does not offer an afternoon excursion on the Bosporus.  
marymount, can you tell me the name of the excursion you reserved.

On 5/21/2023 at 4:37 PM, Cru Doll said:

We are booked on a 21 day sailing, Athens to Athens, that includes an overnight in Istanbul on October 4th.  Since our ship docks at noon on the 4th, we would like to take an afternoon cruise tour on the Bosporus Straight.  Is it reasonable to plan a 2pm excursion if we are docked at Galataport terminal?  If so, what is the best way to get to the excursion port, tram, walking ?  I’ve read that traffic can be heavy, has anyone used a taxi?  I have been unable to find a tour operator who will pick us up at the port.  Our ship does not offer an afternoon excursion on the Bosporus.  
marymount, can you tell me the name of the excursion you reserved.

Hi,

Yes, altho' quoted disembarkation times aren't always reliable, 2pm should be fine.

By tram is very easy, although it's now a longer walk to the tram sop (hopefully others who've experienced the new port layout can advise). Buy tram jetons at the tram stop or at a shop on the way to it. Assuming that you'll return to the ship by tram, take the opportunity to buy jetons for that too.

Take a tram heading to your left (pretty-well all cruisers will do that) and get off at Eminonu immediately after it has crossed the Galata Bridge, the only bridge on the route.

Tour boats normally operate from downstream of the bridge.

But since you have the time, consider instead taking a regular ferry up the Bosphorus to its terminus (Mamuli Reis 111 ?) on the Black Sea.

Apart from the cost being significantly lower, you'll be mixing and travelling with locals, and you can go a lot further up the Bosphorus than tours .

And there are ferry stops are on both sides of the Bosphorus (I don't think the tour boats make any stops at all) - if you like the look of a stop, get off and explore. OK you'll need another ticket but the cost is pennies.

I'm pretty sure that tour boats accept plastic (make sure you're charged in Turkish lire, some outlets try to change the charge to the currency of your card and at their own exchange rate)

But I don't know if ferries accept plastic, so check that or carry some local shrapnel.

JB 🙂

On 5/24/2023 at 9:35 AM, Cru Doll said:

Thank you, John Bull, for the detailed information about the Bosphorus Straight.  I appreciate the time you spent to respond to my question.  

If you take the tram from Galataport, while you're at Galataport I'd buy another ticket for your return trip.  I found that some tram ticket machines can be extremely quirky and or possibly out of tickets.  With the cost of a tram ticket as reasonable as it is, I'd buy extras so that you only have to go through the process once.   Just make sure you know which ticket is the unused one - maybe put in different pockets/places/whatever so you use the correct one coming back.  A ticket is a ticket (doesn't matter which direction you're going), but a used one will definitely not work!

On 5/26/2023 at 7:47 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

If you take the tram from Galataport, while you're at Galataport I'd buy another ticket for your return trip.  I found that some tram ticket machines can be extremely quirky and or possibly out of tickets.  With the cost of a tram ticket as reasonable as it is, I'd buy extras so that you only have to go through the process once.   Just make sure you know which ticket is the unused one - maybe put in different pockets/places/whatever so you use the correct one coming back.  A ticket is a ticket (doesn't matter which direction you're going), but a used one will definitely not work!

Thanks for the good advice.   We’ll certainly purchase the return tickets.  

12 minutes ago, Cru Doll said:

Thanks for the good advice.   We’ll certainly purchase the return tickets.  

Ignore my mention of tram "jetons" (tokens), I'm clearly out of date.

You used to put a jeton into the turnstile to access the platform, so whatever jetons were still in your possession were live.

So yes, do be careful not to throw away an un-used ticket

JB 🙂

• 4 months later...
On 5/26/2023 at 7:47 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

If you take the tram from Galataport, while you're at Galataport I'd buy another ticket for your return trip.  I found that some tram ticket machines can be extremely quirky and or possibly out of tickets.  With the cost of a tram ticket as reasonable as it is, I'd buy extras so that you only have to go through the process once. 

Are you saying that you found a ticket machine or a place to buy single ride tickets at Galataport? If so, where can I find it? 

So much of the info I'm finding on riding the tram now deals with the Istanbulkart, but as I am only planning on 2 tram rides (one to historic area and one back to ship) it doesn't really make sense for me to buy one.

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Are you saying that you found a ticket machine or a place to buy single ride tickets at Galataport? If so, where can I find it? 

So much of the info I'm finding on riding the tram now deals with the Istanbulkart, but as I am only planning on 2 tram rides (one to historic area and one back to ship) it doesn't really make sense for me to buy one.

I don't know for sure if they have a ticket machine at that tram stop or not.  I know they had one in Sultanahmet (historic area).  And I know there was one near the large park down in Sultanahmet near Topkapi.  But I don't specifically remember if the tram stop near Galataport had one or not, as I used an extra card I had purchased day before. But it looks like there's a ticket machine at one end or more, based on this google picture. One thing I don't remember is if we used a credit card to get tram tickets -- and if not, if  Turkish lira were needed (Turkey's not on euros, right?)  I don't think ALL machines take credit cards, but perhaps they do.  And yes, I wouldn't buy an Istanbulkart for a short stay.  We went to Istanbul 2 days early and just bought regular tickets.  I would, however, buy 2 tickets once you find a machine. And then, of course, just look to see which direction you're going.  And if you have time on your way to the tram, that mosque near the Tophane stop is a nice, quiet, real one. And they have coverups hanging outside the door if you're not appropriately dressed (but take a scarf).  And shoe cubbyholes to leave your shoes (take footie socks if wearing sandals).  I was the only person in there for 5 or 10 minutes until a man came in to pray.

IST TOPHANE.jpg

IST tphane tram.jpg

ISTAN map around galataport.jpg

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

Thanks, yes I've used the trams on previous visits to the city and they are very easy to navigate. I'm sure on my last visit I was able to use a credit card to purchase single-use tickets, but that was pre-Covid and many things have changed or been updated since then. 

It would make sense to me that Galataport will have either ATMs or at least a Tourist Info point. Hopefully they will be relatively prominent for those coming off cruise ships. The facility itself looks huge.

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks, yes I've used the trams on previous visits to the city and they are very easy to navigate. I'm sure on my last visit I was able to use a credit card to purchase single-use tickets, but that was pre-Covid and many things have changed or been updated since then. 

It would make sense to me that Galataport will have either ATMs or at least a Tourist Info point. Hopefully they will be relatively prominent for those coming off cruise ships. The facility itself looks huge.

Yes, new port is huge.  But basically you'll likely just go up and down a number of escalators to get outside/inside.  It was confusing coming in, as cab driver had no clue to go once inside, as you can't see ships once inside, and signage was lacking.  But that was soon after they opened, and hopefully by now things are better.  You will, however, likely have to walk up 2 kind of long inclines (ramps) to your ship once you check in.  And it was confusing getting back into the port terminal, as there were a ton of newish shops built around there, with again, limited signage. I ended up asking someone where the correct building was (large, dark colored, new, tall building from the outside; think there are lots of offices in there, not just a port).  It was definitely not a typical port experience.

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

We're also only planning on 2 tram rides (one to historic area and one back to ship).

It would be good to know if the tram ticket machines at Galataport accepts credit card or not. 

Thank you.

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

We're also only planning on 2 tram rides (one to historic area and one back to ship).

It would be good to know if the tram ticket machines at Galataport accept credit card or not. 

Thank you.

Edited by bussub

44 minutes ago, bussub said:

It would be good to know if the tram ticket machines at Galataport accept credit card or not. 

Thank you.

I'll report back after my trip; will be home last week of October.

Of course, if there are more than 1 of you, the Istanbulkart may still be a better deal. You can share one card among several people and if you use the card, you get a discount of 5 Turkish lira per ride (e.g., a single ride ticket is 20 TL while a ride using the Istanbulkart is debited 15 TL).

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'll report back after my trip; will be home last week of October.

Of course, if there are more than 1 of you, the Istanbulkart may still be a better deal. You can share one card among several people and if you use the card, you get a discount of 5 Turkish lira per ride (e.g., a single ride ticket is 20 TL while a ride using the Istanbulkart is debited 15 TL).

Looking online, it appears that payment by card (specifically Mastercard, as they don't mention Visa) has significantly expanded.  They have announced, don't appear to have implemented yet, payment on the bus/tram/etc with contactless Mastercard.

It's also worth noting that, as well as the ONEpass ticket, there are TWOpass, THREEpass, FIVEpass and TENpass cards available (BirGeç, İkiGeç, ÜçGeç, BeşGeç, OnGeç).

3 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

Looking online, it appears that payment by card (specifically Mastercard, as they don't mention Visa) has significantly expanded.  They have announced, don't appear to have implemented yet, payment on the bus/tram/etc with contactless Mastercard.

It's also worth noting that, as well as the ONEpass ticket, there are TWOpass, THREEpass, FIVEpass and TENpass cards available (BirGeç, İkiGeç, ÜçGeç, BeşGeç, OnGeç).

Thanks, I'll have both Visa and MC so we'll see....

Also, someone on TripAdvisor was kind enough to post this link with info about an initiative to make it easier for cruise passengers to use the tram. However, I've not heard about this anywhere else (e.g., from any other travelers) so I'm not sure it's up and running yet.

https://www.metro.istanbul/en/news/detail/historical-collaboration-on-tourism-between-metro-istanbul-and-tursab-161122

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any tips for arriving at this port? We sail on Oceania Sirena on October 24. We have chosen a later boarding time so we can explore Istanbul that morning after staying overnight in the historic area. We will take a taxi from our hotel. Any tips for arriving at the cruise terminal are appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just reporting back after my visits to Istanbul in October 2023. I was on a B2B cruise with the turnaround day in Istanbul. We docked at Galataport. As reported, it is a very large, multi-use facility. Since I was already onboard I did not have to go through embarkation, so cannot help with arrival. They have a pathway clearly marked through the facility to get to the outside from shipside, although it is not exactly intuitive. (Must transit thru several levels. This may differ depending on which of the docks your ship uses.)

I did not find a place to buy an Istanbulkart or tram tickets along this path, so I stopped at an ATM got Turkish lira, and used them at the tram stop to purchase the single-use tickets I needed. 

The whole city was very crowded, even in mid-October. This included the trams. Expect them to be packed with people. The old city was also very crowded. I didn't queue up for any of the main sites (seen most of them more than once), but others mentioned hundreds of people in line to see both Haghia Sofya and the Blue Mosque. A local Turkish guide I met onboard the ship (he was leading a tour group of 20 Turkish passengers) said the best time to see Haghia Sofya now is late afternoon after most of the tour groups have passed -- but this probably only works if you have an overnight as we did, or if you are there before or after your cruise.

• Like 4

On 10/9/2023 at 12:14 PM, KBrote said:

Any tips for arriving at this port? We sail on Oceania Sirena on October 24. We have chosen a later boarding time so we can explore Istanbul that morning after staying overnight in the historic area. We will take a taxi from our hotel. Any tips for arriving at the cruise terminal are appreciated. 

I would just make sure that the taxi driver knows, or can ask, where to drop you for embarkation.  The driver will likely have to go inside the building containing the port offices and place where you check in. Ours found a guarded entrance on the side, but the basement area is cavernous and he had no help in finding a door for passengers.  We were there soon after the port opened and it wasn't clearly marked.  Finally he found a couple guys heading walking through the garage and asked for help.  They sent him to a door.   Yes, it was a door.  But it was not the right place to enter for embarkation, with luggage.  We struggled inside and found a turnstile.  Soon someone came up to us with a radio and asked for our key card.  She spoke little English and we spoke no Turkish.  Eventually we made it upstairs via multiple escalators, asked someone where embarkation was, and did check in. Then I went back out into the city and my key card wouldn't work in the turnstiles to get out - or back in.  Hmm.   But hopefully now that the port has been open a year or more, they'll have the hiccups ironed out.  One good thing was that the port personnel/contractors were pretty good at getting people checked in, including having our checked bags sniffed by a dog, and we were on our way to the two long ramps up to Sirena pretty quickly.  And the views from the ship were pretty nice.  

As for timing, we checked in maybe 12:30 or 1, and there was only a very small line then.. KBrote, you may not have any line if you come in the afternoon.  And they may still have the Terrace buffet open late then too.  But don't cut things too short, as getting over the Galata Bridge can take longer than you might think - lots of traffic.

The sail out is quite nice - pretty!

Interestingly, when my ship (Azamara Onward) returned to Istanbul 8 days later, we did NOT dock at Galataport but at a very old port facility on the Sultanahmet side across from it. I've been to the port that preceded Galataport before, but never this one. 

I assume this was done because there were 3 other, larger ships already docked at Galataport when I looked out. 

This would've been such a convenient location for our previous overnight as it was practically next-door to the Archaeological Museum and just a short walk to Topkapi. Oh well, all I got to do that day was board a bus for my airport transfer...😭

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add in case anyone is looking for help for Galata Port. It is a long walk, we disembarked in Galata Port and baggage claim was chaotic. We were able to find Tophane Tram stop quite easily, but a scammer was there blocking tourists from buying tram tickets. He charged us 600 Turkish Liras for a 10 ride ticket - shareable with other people, it should have been 170 Turkish Lira. We wanted to buy our own tickets but he was blocking the machines and keep rushing us saying people are waiting. Think he had an accomplice too. It would have been even cheaper with Istanbulkart - 70 Lira for the card and then load any amount onto it, 15 Lira per tram/bus ride. I believe metro might be a bit more expensive but not more than 25 lira ride. Same with Marmaray. 
I would have reported him to Tourist Police but the kiosks were closed. Sigh…

• 1 month later...

We plan on arriving for a cruise the day before and scheduling transportation from the airport to a nearby hotel and hopefully walking to the port. Any suggestions for hotels? We aren't picky and just want something clean and convenient. 

22 hours ago, Reds4life said:

We plan on arriving for a cruise the day before and scheduling transportation from the airport to a nearby hotel and hopefully walking to the port. Any suggestions for hotels? We aren't picky and just want something clean and convenient. 

We stayed center city, so I can't recommend any hotels near the port.  However, when Galataport first opened a few years ago, I found that the Galataport website had some nearby hotels listed.  However, it appears now they simply list the Peninsula Hotel, which looks to be quite nice, but I'm thinking may be expensive.  Also on that site (now) is mention in the "How to Get Here" section of a new ferry that goes from Galataport to Karakoy and Eminonu.  Karakoy is walkable if you're mobile, and from there you can walk across the bridge and keep going into center city if you really like to walk. Eminonu is a great location for starting an exploration of center city OR for taking a ferry across to the Asian side of Istanbul.  The website also lists some restaurants/shops around Galataport.  So I'd check out the port website, which I believe is just www/galataport.com.

• Like 1