Tracy Arm-Yes/No? Souvenir Shopping in Juneau

BazAl

Heya,

I'm all over the place with this.  So - family of 4 - father, mother, me (daughter) and brother.  Celebrity Millennium 7AM-930PM in August.  I'm doing a post-cruise land trip in Alaska and I'm honestly just all over the place - in my attempts to make a fun/dynamic/variety trip for the family - I'm making a mess.  Each time I wanna plan/sit down and work on the literary something happens

Anyway......

SUN – AUG 6TH. KETCHIKAN 7AM-3PM - Maybe Bering Sea Crab

MON – AUG 7TH. ICY STRAIGHT POINT 9AM-7PM -  Whale Watching + something else? 

TUES AUG 8TH. JUNEAU 7AM-930PM -  This Post

WED AUG 9TH. SKAGWAY 7AM-4PM - Unsure

Post Cruise - Kenai Fjords Boat Tour (Seward), 26 Glacier Tour (Whittier), Flightseeing Tour... and hikes.  2 Rafting Tours

Anyway... so Juneau time.  Was considering Tracy Arm based on a previous post.  But given my itinerary - is it a good addition?  it's highly rated?

Also which company would you do it with?  Adventure Bound seems cheaper than longer than it's counterpart - 10 hours (8AM-6PM).  If we did do it with this company - we'd have ~ 3 hours before cruise departure.

Any advice on how to spend it?  We're thinking of just walking around town for fun and/or souvenir shopping.  I remember there was a tram with a gift shop at the top where we bought an ulu.  Any recommendations on cool souvenir shops (not trinkets) that don't break the bank?

Thanks!

Tracy Arm small boat excursion like Adventure Bound.  On a clear day the tram in Juneau is great for amazing views of the area, if you have time.

Bering Sea Crab Fisherman’s tour in Ketchikan is great.

Kenai Fjords out of Seward (6 hour tour) is much better than the 26 Glacier Tour which I have done 3 times and it never comes close to the beauty of Kenai Fjords.

Icy Straight has a lot of options beyond whale watching.  We did whale watching there and didn’t see any whales although I know it is supposed to be great.  It depends on the conditions.  Juneau is also good for whale watching and you may see some on the Adventure Bound Tracy Arm tour.

You can do the train/bus combo in Skagway.  You can also rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake.  Download Murray’s Guide if you drive.  You can take some ranger tours and get a hiking guide at the visitor center and set out on your own adventure.  The Chilkoot trail hike and raft excursion is fun.  

Alaska is a fun adventure whatever you choose to do.  You can’t do it all in one trip!

• Like 1

Walking around town and shopping is best done at Creek Street in Ketchikan.  Tongass Shops are good for browsing.  Look for products made in Alaska.

Towns will be crowded with many ships in port.  Best to get out of town and see Alaska for most of your port days.

• Like 1

In Hoonah - I went with Glacier Wind for Whale Watching - it was great. We saw bubble feeding. Small boats, excellent experience:

https://www.g-wind.com 

I recommend Chilkoot tours in Skagway: https://chilkootcharters.com

I just did the bus both ways but for a first time person - maybe bus one way and train the other way. Go with the longer tour to get farther into the Yukon.

Edited by Coral

On 5/24/2023 at 10:32 AM, BazAl said:

Heya,

I'm all over the place with this.  So - family of 4 - father, mother, me (daughter) and brother.  Celebrity Millennium 7AM-930PM in August.  I'm doing a post-cruise land trip in Alaska and I'm honestly just all over the place - in my attempts to make a fun/dynamic/variety trip for the family - I'm making a mess.  Each time I wanna plan/sit down and work on the literary something happens

Anyway......

SUN – AUG 6TH. KETCHIKAN 7AM-3PM - Maybe Bering Sea Crab

MON – AUG 7TH. ICY STRAIGHT POINT 9AM-7PM -  Whale Watching + something else? 

TUES AUG 8TH. JUNEAU 7AM-930PM -  This Post

WED AUG 9TH. SKAGWAY 7AM-4PM - Unsure

Post Cruise - Kenai Fjords Boat Tour (Seward), 26 Glacier Tour (Whittier), Flightseeing Tour... and hikes.  2 Rafting Tours

Anyway... so Juneau time.  Was considering Tracy Arm based on a previous post.  But given my itinerary - is it a good addition?  it's highly rated?

Also which company would you do it with?  Adventure Bound seems cheaper than longer than it's counterpart - 10 hours (8AM-6PM).  If we did do it with this company - we'd have ~ 3 hours before cruise departure.

Any advice on how to spend it?  We're thinking of just walking around town for fun and/or souvenir shopping.  I remember there was a tram with a gift shop at the top where we bought an ulu.  Any recommendations on cool souvenir shops (not trinkets) that don't break the bank?

Thanks!

How much are the Tracy Arm tours for your cruise?

The schedule looks great because those tours are usually 7- 8 hours.

Lowest price and the only one I can get is 464 per person. I am not that desperate.

8 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

How much are the Tracy Arm tours for your cruise?

The schedule looks great because those tours are usually 7- 8 hours.

Lowest price and the only one I can get is 464 per person. I am not that desperate.

You can do Adventure Bound in Juneau for $200. It is 8-6 pm.

On 5/24/2023 at 11:36 PM, quack2 said:

Icy STRAIT, not Icy Straight.  ICY STRAIT.  Sheesh.

@quack2 Sorry came out of surgery a little over a week ago... I'm still not 100% there yet.  one of the reasons I mentioned something has to happen when I sit down and plan my trip.

@HaveWeMetYet  Was looking at adventure bound - it's $185+ tax,  Timing is good - but it's 10 hours.  that can account for a very good or very bad time.  for Alaskan pricing it's great and one of the cheapest boat tours I've seen.  Which is why I'm worried - I have tried e-mailing them twice to ask a few questions but no response.  I may just call them

@oaktreerb Thanks I'll look into creek street

Everyone thank you for your advice.

1 hour ago, BazAl said:

@quack2

@HaveWeMetYet  Was looking at adventure bound - it's $185+ tax,  Timing is good - but it's 10 hours.  that can account for a very good or very bad time.  for Alaskan pricing it's great and one of the cheapest boat tours I've seen.  Which is why I'm worried - I have tried e-mailing them twice to ask a few questions but no response.  I may just call them

I would call Winona.

• 4 weeks later...