NCL cancels Epic sailings from 12.1.2023 to 4.9.2024 for "Fleet Redeployment"

mpk

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

April 23, 2023? How was the cruise? 😁

Sorry about that, I did a bit of a typo there .the booking is for April 2024.

I have been on the Dawn before and enjoyed it and am going again on he Dawn  in September this year around the UK

15 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I would suggest that you communicate with NCL via email.  Start with customer service, compose a concise, polite letter laying out the facts and stating exactly what you want.  Give them two weeks, then escalate to the executives, one by one.  Be polite, persistent and patient. 

Your problem is their fault, but the person reading your email didn't cause the problem ... you want that person to understand your issue in one reading, and want to help you.  You can get help at no charge from Consumer Rescue, run by my good friend Michelle Couch Friedman, if you're not successful with NCL on your own.  

Thanks, all my communication has been by email.. always polite not demanding. First reply requested I send copies of the flights booked ..which I did .

The flights from the cancelled Epic cruise and the more expensive Gem flights . I had hoped to claim the difference .  NCL came back with an offer of £50 ... £25 per person (65 US dollars in total) .

I replied and asked for this to be accelerated to a senior member of the team EU Guest Services <euguestservices@ncl.com>. The reply back was from the same  Guest Experience Coordindator.

Once again asking for the copies of the flights ...and stating that the £50 was a good will gesture !!.

Some experience !!!

2 hours ago, room with a view said:

Thanks, all my communication has been by email.. always polite not demanding. First reply requested I send copies of the flights booked ..which I did .

The flights from the cancelled Epic cruise and the more expensive Gem flights . I had hoped to claim the difference .  NCL came back with an offer of £50 ... £25 per person (65 US dollars in total) .

I replied and asked for this to be accelerated to a senior member of the team EU Guest Services <euguestservices@ncl.com>. The reply back was from the same  Guest Experience Coordindator.

Once again asking for the copies of the flights ...and stating that the £50 was a good will gesture !!.

Some experience !!!

There will come a point where it will need escalating via ABTA,  you don't want a good will gesture when you have the right to claim the damages caused by the cancellation.. 

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

There will come a point where it will need escalating via ABTA,  you don't want a good will gesture when you have the right to claim the damages caused by the cancellation.. 

Thanks , I'm unsure what  I can claim . I know it will not be the flights that I lost when the Epic was cancelled because I was able to transfer that money (with penalty) to another flight with the Gem cruise. It's just that those flights cost a lot more and I had to pay a penalty . 

NCL seem to think that there is no recourse when they cancel and just expect us to lose money 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, room with a view said:

Thanks , I'm unsure what  I can claim . I know it will not be the flights that I lost when the Epic was cancelled because I was able to transfer that money (with penalty) to another flight with the Gem cruise. It's just that those flights cost a lot more and I had to pay a penalty . 

NCL seem to think that there is no recourse when they cancel and just expect us to lose money 

Was the new cruise an alternative offered under package regs or did you take the cancellation full refund option.

With the former the cruise should not cost more if you accept as a substitute, if a lesser value cruise they should refund proportionally.

In the later any new cruise is nothing to do with the cancellation it's a new cruise booking.

You can claim the loss which will be the change fees not the full airfare as you are required to mitigate losses and you have by transferring the cost-fees to new flights

Any other losses like non refundable hotels parking etc.

1 minute ago, insidecabin said:

Was the new cruise an alternative offered under package regs or did you take the cancellation full refund option.

With the former the cruise should not cost more if you accept as a substitute, if a lesser value cruise they should refund proportionally.

In the later any new cruise is nothing to do with the cancellation it's a new cruise booking.

You can claim the loss which will be the change fees not the full airfare as you are required to mitigate losses and you have by transferring the cost-fees to new flights

Any other losses like non refundable hotels parking etc.

When we were informed that the Epic had been cancelled  we were well inside the final payment so had just paid our deposit using a Cruise Next certificate but had booked our flights independently. 

We booked our Gem cruise transferring the CN certificate.

I had hoped that NCL would give us a proportion of the losses (change fees) on the Epic airfare to the Gem airfare Probably asking too much ..but we are "out of pocket" through no faut of our own .

54 minutes ago, room with a view said:

When we were informed that the Epic had been cancelled  we were well inside the final payment so had just paid our deposit using a Cruise Next certificate but had booked our flights independently. 

We booked our Gem cruise transferring the CN certificate.

I had hoped that NCL would give us a proportion of the losses (change fees) on the Epic airfare to the Gem airfare Probably asking too much ..but we are "out of pocket" through no faut of our own .

The loss is the change fee that reduced the value of what you paid for the airfare for the cruise that was cancelled.

What if you had chosen a Hawaiian cruise expect NCL to cover the cost for those flights?

Cruise lines rarely offer alternative holidays under package regulations it is most often a cancellation refund(maybe with additional FCC or discount) to be used on a cruise of your choice.

You start again as if it was a new booking.

3 hours ago, insidecabin said:

The loss is the change fee that reduced the value of what you paid for the airfare for the cruise that was cancelled.

What if you had chosen a Hawaiian cruise expect NCL to cover the cost for those flights?

Cruise lines rarely offer alternative holidays under package regulations it is most often a cancellation refund(maybe with additional FCC or discount) to be used on a cruise of your choice.

I will see if I can squeeze a little more than £50 in OBC

On 7/16/2023 at 5:41 PM, insidecabin said:

No I would not ... but some how it seems that NCL can cancel a cruise and not have any responsibility when a client has lost money . 

On 7/15/2023 at 1:57 PM, room with a view said:

Hello, back on this topic ...how did refunds/transfers work out for GLYNAGP, Inside Cabin and Di Ti. ?

Our flights for our Epic cruise cancelled by NCL Manchester - Venice / Lisbon - Manchester cost £394.27  ..great prices as we booked early and December/ January flights were cheap.

Re booked (loss of £100 for transfer)  .. new flights for NCL Gem cruise.£1081.94  .. September prices ..much higher...also flights from Rome are expensive.  

Made a claim to NCL   as it was NCL that cancelled .

Offer from NCL ... £50 ...that's £25 each .... and at this moment that is all they are offering .

Any advice on what to do to get them to up our claim ? ,,,thanks

I got nowhere with NCL Uk they said try insurance! Insurance said it was cruise line to pay out of pocket expense, emailed NCL in Miami and they replied they would as a good will allow up $300 for lost flight fares, I had to send proof of booking and cancellation of the flights.British airways were very prompt at emailing the proof,butTAP were hard work,eventually I forwarded the details to NCL and they said I would receive the refund into my account asap.This was two weeks ago. Dianne

4 hours ago, di T said:

I got nowhere with NCL Uk they said try insurance! Insurance said it was cruise line to pay out of pocket expense, emailed NCL in Miami and they replied they would as a good will allow up $300 for lost flight fares, I had to send proof of booking and cancellation of the flights.British airways were very prompt at emailing the proof,butTAP were hard work,eventually I forwarded the details to NCL and they said I would receive the refund into my account asap.This was two weeks ago. Dianne

Hello di Ti,

I have sent both copies of the flights ..and received the reply and the offer of £50 as a good will gesture. I have resubmitted and will see what the reply is from NCL UK . 

Would you be happy to say what Miami eventually offer when you receive a reply ?

1 hour ago, room with a view said:

Hello di Ti,

I have sent both copies of the flights ..and received the reply and the offer of £50 as a good will gesture. I have resubmitted and will see what the reply is from NCL UK . 

Would you be happy to say what Miami eventually offer when you receive a reply ?

Will definitely post! 

10 hours ago, room with a view said:

No I would not ... but some how it seems that NCL can cancel a cruise and not have any responsibility when a client has lost money . 

They have a responsibility to cover losses  not the costs for a new cruise.

17 hours ago, room with a view said:

Thanks 

Hi, I have been in touch with ABTA and received a reply to say they have corresponded with NCL who are a member of ABTA.

Will see if this helps. Dianne

On 7/16/2023 at 12:41 PM, insidecabin said:

Yes.

Pre-pandemic, a clam, respectful, professional letter with demonstrated loss has resulting from NCL operational changes has often (but not always) resulted in compensation above and beyond what the cruise line offered for the cancellation. Compensation has included difference in airfare, airline change fees, hotel nights. 

These are all things which could have been blown off and pointed at insurance companies, but NCL did reimburse the full cost of the loss,,, which was always above and beyond what they offered in the cancellation/change notice. 

We have been operationally cancelled on the Epic (twice), Getaway, Joy, Bliss, Encore, Escape, Sky

On 7/20/2023 at 2:10 PM, di T said:

Hi, I have been in touch with ABTA and received a reply to say they have corresponded with NCL who are a member of ABTA.

Will see if this helps. Dianne

Doubt if you will receive the £100 penalty ...how much is your claim ? ..as I said in previous posts NCL have offered £50 - though I don't know how that was calculated !!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/24/2023 at 9:10 PM, msjackie said:

I just called NCL and it is not true at all. We are booked for February and going to the Caribbean and NCL said they have nothing on this at all....

Just got this email today also. I'm so so sad. I was looking forward to this itinerary. The coupon they are giving for our "inconvenience" will be effective June 1st, so I'm thinking about booking if possible before December and going this year. It was hard to wait til next year anyways! 🙂

20 hours ago, Makegrl1 said:

I  think this refers to the Epic Christmas/ New Year 2023/2024 cruise that NCL cancelled. Those passengers who had booked this cruise received a letter in May 2023 stating that Epic sailings  from December 1st 2023 through and including April 9th 2024 were cancelled. Deployed .

Ok I eventually received £142 back from the British Airways flight after over 5 months the £160 from TAP I have just put down as a loss. But it still annoys me that they can decide to cancel a cruise and we are left to pick up the loss of air fares etc.

5 hours ago, di T said:

Ok I eventually received £142 back from the British Airways flight after over 5 months the £160 from TAP I have just put down as a loss. But it still annoys me that they can decide to cancel a cruise and we are left to pick up the loss of air fares etc.

Of course it's annoying.  I'm sure some cruiselines would make their pax whole if they cancelled a cruise.  But NCL probably doesn't think they need to do that.  I'd not book air these days unless I knew I could cancel and rebook without a penalty.  Every cent you invest in a trip that is not refundable needs to be insured, that's just the way it works these days.  I'm an early Chase Sapphire Reserve customer, there are so many good perks with that card, including travel insurance.