How do Ship Transfers from Southampton to Heathrow work?

42 minutes ago, RitafromCalifornia said:

Is there any benefit to purchasing a transfer from the cruise line versus just arranging a private transfer/

In 2020 (cruise cancelled of course for Covid), we were going to take a Princess transfer back to Heathrow with a stop at Stonehenge. My DW was actually looking more forward to that than the cruise itself.

Years earlier, we had done something similar with a Princess excursion back from Dover to Heathrow with a walking tour of Dover and a stop at Canterbury. It was well worth the extra cost. Plus it made you feel like you were still on your cruise vacation instead of now heading back to the airport with your cruise behind you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RitafromCalifornia said:

Is there any benefit to purchasing a transfer from the cruise line versus just arranging a private transfer/

The options I am aware of is the National Express bus from the coach station, with multiple buses daily, or booking a private car hire. You can use rail, but it requires 1 or more changes.

Price out the National Express v's the cruise line, ensuring they are to the correct LHR terminal. An executive car hire is more comfortable, but also more expensive.

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

The options I am aware of is the National Express bus from the coach station, with multiple buses daily, or booking a private car hire. You can use rail, but it requires 1 or more changes.

Price out the National Express v's the cruise line, ensuring they are to the correct LHR terminal. An executive car hire is more comfortable, but also more expensive.

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, RitafromCalifornia said:

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately my cruise line, Azamara, doesn’t offer that option.  It is just what it calls a “generic transfer”.

Maybe it is port to airport  no sightseeing along the  way

I would  ask on the Azamara forum  maybe recent cruisers will comment on how the transfer work  now

We did ship's transfer from Dover to LHR  several years  ago

on the bus early arrived at LHR  where the driver dropped  pax at the different terminals

Easy peasy

2 hours ago, RitafromCalifornia said:

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately my cruise line, Azamara, doesn’t offer that option.  It is just what it calls a “generic transfer”.

That's too bad. It really is a nice option.

Perhaps, you can find a private tour that will give you a stop at Stonehenge and get you to Heathrow on time.

Edited by ontheweb
added second paragraph
  • Like 1