Guaranteed Stateroom Not So Guaranteed?

Dreamscaper

42 minutes ago, Dreamscaper said:

It's not that easy for us to just say "oh well, cancel it".  We are traveling with a family member and her girlfriend and there was very little available in the window of time we all had available.  We also have flights and hotel booked, the friend has booked her holiday time off, etc.  

We have been reverted back to the aft cabin, category BD when we had booked a "guaranteed" BA, and price adjusted back down again.  But it took six hours on the phone to get that - up until yesterday they had us booked into an upgraded room and billed us an extra $1,100.

I absolutely agree there should be some form of OBC or other compensation offered.  There is none.

Again, live and learn, I fully expected a guarantee to be a guarantee (with the possibility they'd move us to comparable or better if they couldn't honour the guaranteed BA, not put us down to a BD without even lowering our price or offering any compensation).

Why they moved us down to a BD from a paid for BA is yet another question - I see there are still BB categories available.

@Dreamscaper I am aligned with you on the mystery of why they downgraded you to begin with. I feel your pain (as you can probably tell from my recent experience on Carnival) - getting downgraded hurts, getting downgraded w/o compensation sucks and getting downgraded then paying to get original selection restored is baffling.

No, it's not as simply "just cancel" when flights, hotels and travelling companions are involved.

I do hope your cruise is awesome!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

Since you are still before final payment date. What is the cheapest guarantee you can find that includes your current deck and see if it is less than what you are paying. If it is then use it together with your booking document try and get the price adjusted to that amount either as a refund or OBC.

You can also try a letter describing what you booked, what your expectations were based upon the web site language, together with any info on the price difference between the mid ship guarantees and the location where you ended up. Stick just to facts, though you could mention the amount of confusion you faced with customer service, who apparently did not understand the current rules either. Ask for some compensation, at least the difference between those prices in guarantees. The base level guarantee does not apply since those are now non refundable, while yours still is.

Looking at our cruise, a new booking would now cost us $6,803.30 (Canadian) for a mid ship upper deck (mid deck isn't an option) - but for the guarantee, not a specific cabin.

A mid-forward cabin on deck 11 would be the same price as above, but I could book a specific cabin there.

Our original booking price was $4,629.30 - for mid ship, mid deck, so unfortunately canceling and rebooking isn't an option either.

I will probably end up writing to Princess to let them know what happened.  But my stress levels have been through the roof the past couple of weeks so I'm taking a bit of a step back for at least a few days.  

And in follow up to your 2nd post (I don't know how to quote both here) I will probably ask client services if we could be moved into the BB category at our current rate, but given the "solutions" I've been offered up to the resolution reached yesterday and how much fuss he made over how hard he had to work to get it for us, I don't expect them to move us without charging us "today's booking rate" like they were trying to do previously :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2023 at 3:01 PM, Haljo1935 said:

To go slightly off topic, recently on Carnival (which owns Princess),

Just to clarify:  Carnival Cruise ship company DOES NOT own Princess.

Carnival Corporation (CCL) is the owner of Carnival Cruises, Princess Cruises, Holland America Cruises...and others.

Independent cruise lines under the CCL umbrella have nothing in common with relationship to one ship and another.  Best example, loyalty credits with CCL are not combinable or recipracal.  

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
45 minutes ago, Dreamscaper said:

Looking at our cruise, a new booking would now cost us $6,803.30 (Canadian) for a mid ship upper deck (mid deck isn't an option) - but for the guarantee, not a specific cabin.

A mid-forward cabin on deck 11 would be the same price as above, but I could book a specific cabin there.

Our original booking price was $4,629.30 - for mid ship, mid deck, so unfortunately canceling and rebooking isn't an option either.

I will probably end up writing to Princess to let them know what happened.  But my stress levels have been through the roof the past couple of weeks so I'm taking a bit of a step back for at least a few days.  

And in follow up to your 2nd post (I don't know how to quote both here) I will probably ask client services if we could be moved into the BB category at our current rate, but given the "solutions" I've been offered up to the resolution reached yesterday and how much fuss he made over how hard he had to work to get it for us, I don't expect them to move us without charging us "today's booking rate" like they were trying to do previously 😞

Unfortunately we do not know what the delta between the guarantees in each area at the time you booked.  That is why I suggested to see what the current delta might be between the BB area and the BD area.

Are you working with one customer service manager at this time?

I will let you know what my PVP says when I hear back from them.

21 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Unfortunately we do not know what the delta between the guarantees in each area at the time you booked.  That is why I suggested to see what the current delta might be between the BB area and the BD area.

Are you working with one customer service manager at this time?

I will let you know what my PVP says when I hear back from them.

Oh I think I misunderstood - you meant to see if I could tell what the current differences in prices would be between the current BB and BD areas?  From what I can tell, it would be a difference of about $128 if we were to move to an upper deck.  Not a lot of money, but from my phone conversations thus far, they wouldn't merely charge us the difference in the category, but would have to cancel our current low rate and then rebook us at today's higher rate.  Apologies if this isn't what you meant and I'm still misunderstanding.

This last guy has made it clear that he's done everything he can for me and suggested that he could put me through to client services again to see if anything further could be done, so I'm on my own now.

Thank you and I'll be interested in seeing what your PVP has to say!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Just to clarify:  Carnival Cruise ship company DOES NOT own Princess.

Carnival Corporation (CCL) is the owner of Carnival Cruises, Princess Cruises, Holland America Cruises...and others.

Independent cruise lines under the CCL umbrella have nothing in common with relationship to one ship and another.  Best example, loyalty credits with CCL are not combinable or recipracal.  

I know loyalty is not reciprocal  - never said it was, never mentioned loyalty program as it's not relevant to this discussion. 

51 minutes ago, Dreamscaper said:

This last guy has made it clear that he's done everything he can for me and suggested that he could put me through to client services again to see if anything further could be done, so I'm on my own now.

I still think it's worth it to shoot an email off to Princess management (contacts here https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/princess-cruise-lines/ ) to outline what has happened to you.  I'd keep it as short as possible but enough detail to convey that you booked BA, were assigned BF, and that you've spend 6+ hours attempting to get things right on your reservation given what transpired thereafter.  Make sure you have a descriptive subject.  I wouldn't be surprised if you got a call back offering *something* to make things right with you.  Something may include some OBC, the Plus package, or they may even shake loose the cabin that you want close to your family (make sure to tell them their cabin number).  It's worth a try, they really did screw up your reservation and they have caused you quite a bit of angst for what should be a relaxing experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I still think it's worth it to shoot an email off to Princess management (contacts here https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/princess-cruise-lines/ ) to outline what has happened to you.  I'd keep it as short as possible but enough detail to convey that you booked BA, were assigned BF, and that you've spend 6+ hours attempting to get things right on your reservation given what transpired thereafter.  Make sure you have a descriptive subject.  I wouldn't be surprised if you got a call back offering *something* to make things right with you.  Something may include some OBC, the Plus package, or they may even shake loose the cabin that you want close to your family (make sure to tell them their cabin number).  It's worth a try, they really did screw up your reservation and they have caused you quite a bit of angst for what should be a relaxing experience.

Thank you so much for this!  I will definitely be using it!

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 3:01 PM, Haljo1935 said:

To go slightly off topic, recently on Carnival (which owns Princess), we paid in full for a specific cabin on a 7 day + 6 day B2B (13 days total). We booked the same cabin so we wouldn't have to move mid-cruise.

When you said "recently on Carnival (which owns Princess)", I wanted to clear up your statement.  My understanding was that you were on a Carnival Cruise Ship.  That cruise ship belongs to Carnival Cruises Lines.  It is not to be confused with Carnival Corporation.

Carnival Corporation owns both Carnival and Princess (and a few others); but Carnival Cruise Lines does not own Princess.

Sorry to add unnecessary information like the loyalty programs.  

Guest ldtr
20 hours ago, Dreamscaper said:

Oh I think I misunderstood - you meant to see if I could tell what the current differences in prices would be between the current BB and BD areas?  From what I can tell, it would be a difference of about $128 if we were to move to an upper deck.  Not a lot of money, but from my phone conversations thus far, they wouldn't merely charge us the difference in the category, but would have to cancel our current low rate and then rebook us at today's higher rate.  Apologies if this isn't what you meant and I'm still misunderstanding.

Thank you and I'll be interested in seeing what your PVP has to say!

Usually he responds same day, but no response as of yet.

On 6/8/2023 at 9:23 PM, Dreamscaper said:

Curious if you ever heard back from him.  No biggie, just curious 🙂

He never did respond.  Not sure what is going on, did not get an out of office message.

I actually heard from my PCC today, after 4 emails & 3 calls. She said her department is closed weekends (?)

Well alrighty, but what about the messages I sent/left during the week?

Anyway, she did have an OOO but still said that department doesn't work weekends. I never heard that before - does anyone know if that's correct, that PCCs are Mon-Fri?

35 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I actually heard from my PCC today, after 4 emails & 3 calls. She said her department is closed weekends (?)

Anyway, she did have an OOO but still said that department doesn't work weekends. I never heard that before - does anyone know if that's correct, that PCCs are Mon-Fri?

That is my understanding.

3 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Yes, correct.  I had to wait until a Monday to talk to mine.

• Thanks 1

Wow, what an ordeal!! The amount of time you’ve wasted for no resolution, that’s so frustrating. I just booked a 7 day for next year and am considering booking 2 other cabins for family members but not sure if I want to deal with the hassle. On my current booking I’ve already been told something was included and then told afterwards that it isn’t. I’ve spent hours on the phone too and honestly just feel over it already. It’s a difference of like $300CAD which is small in the grand scheme of things but it’s the principal of it. I hope you manage to get put back in the location you paid for initially and they make it right! 

My PVP never answered the question even though I asked twice. They did answer another email so it is not like they were not there.

5 hours ago, amby6063 said:

Wow, what an ordeal!! The amount of time you’ve wasted for no resolution, that’s so frustrating. I just booked a 7 day for next year and am considering booking 2 other cabins for family members but not sure if I want to deal with the hassle. On my current booking I’ve already been told something was included and then told afterwards that it isn’t. I’ve spent hours on the phone too and honestly just feel over it already. It’s a difference of like $300CAD which is small in the grand scheme of things but it’s the principal of it. I hope you manage to get put back in the location you paid for initially and they make it right! 

Small for you but if this happens with all 3,000+ passengers on a cruise, that’s almost $1 million for them. Question is if it’s an honest mistake or pushing the limit to what passengers will accept