Anthem of the Seas - Norwegian Fjords - A trip report

On 6/13/2023 at 6:35 AM, latebuyer said:

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your photos-I would like to go to norway sometime. Anthem looked nice. I was glad to hear you for the most part liked the food in the mdr as there are complaints about it and i am going to alaska in 2 weeks.

Does anyone know if the new environmental restrictions also affect smaller cruise ships? It would be a shame if no cruise ships could go there. I’m hoping they’ll allow ships brilliance of the seas size.

Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it. My understanding re the environmental issues is that no current cruise ship, big or small meet the new proposed regulations. But the regulations don’t affect all ports, only the UNESCO heritage sites such as Geirangerfjord, so I think it may mean itinerary changes rather than no cruises at all. If you do a Google search you can find more info. Have a great cruise to Alaska. 

On 6/13/2023 at 5:07 PM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Lol theres no meat on american bacon just strips of fat, well over cooked....normally covered in an orange liquid cheese flavour lol 🤣🤢🤮

Didn’t detect any cheese, lol, that wouldn’t have been good 🤪

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2023 at 1:35 AM, latebuyer said:

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your photos-I would like to go to norway sometime. Anthem looked nice. I was glad to hear you for the most part liked the food in the mdr as there are complaints about it and i am going to alaska in 2 weeks.

Does anyone know if the new environmental restrictions also affect smaller cruise ships? It would be a shame if no cruise ships could go there. I’m hoping they’ll allow ships brilliance of the seas size.

Check the itinerary for Jewel of the Seas May 30th 2024 Leaves from Amsterdam. It might be exactly what you are looking for.

12 nights 🙂

Edited by Jimbo

On 6/4/2023 at 7:14 AM, jjsparkles said:

Thursday 25 May – Olden

There is an option to book Troll cars to take you up but there is still a decent bit of walking to do once they drop you off.

I just wanted to expand upon this since we used the troll cars (they're like little golf carts).   I didn't expect to actually reach the glacier since I was traveling with a 2 year old, so I sent my husband and 6 year old ahead of us.  To my surprise, my 2 year old was able to complete the relatively flat 700 m walk in the time allocated (they give you a return time).  Please note that strollers are not recommended since the ground is a bit tough to push a stroller over.  This is a good option to consider for people who can walk, but have some physical limitations.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if you can book the troll cars to take you up but then walk down, so you can take pictures as you descend.  My husband will be almost 85 on this cruise and I worry we won't make it to the top in time, although we walk daily this is a lot of climb, coming down is much less worrisome.  Thanks for any insights!

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the review! I am from Texas and doing this itinerary in early Sept, taking my in-laws with us!  They haven't sailed Royal Caribbean before and I hope Anthem will make a good first impression. All of us haven't done this itinerary and we are so excited! It looks beautiful! Sad about your Geiranger experience 😞

On 6/20/2023 at 12:52 AM, T-2 said:

Does anyone know if you can book the troll cars to take you up but then walk down, so you can take pictures as you descend.  My husband will be almost 85 on this cruise and I worry we won't make it to the top in time, although we walk daily this is a lot of climb, coming down is much less worrisome.  Thanks for any insights!

You'd probably need to pay the same as a round trip ticket, but you can absolutely skip meeting up with the troll car for your return visit.  Just tell them at the check in desk, and also remind your driver so hopefully no one is waiting for you on the return.  Each troll car is like a  golf cart, and they just pick you up at a designated spot for your return trip. Please just double check on the Baltic board because I don't remember if it's a straight downhill climb on the way back - I rode the troll car both ways with a 2 year old.  But you can also take pictures from the troll cart- its pretty open, like a golf cart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really appreciate that you took the time to share what this experience is- it is such a huge help in planning.  I wouldn't mind at all just forgoing the return- the hesitation was committing that the 83 year old could manage the entire hike in the amount of time allowed, this is just the perfect solution.  And it might be that having seen the route, he might still prefer to ride back down and we can just let the driver know.  Thank you so much, you've taken all the worry out of booking this excursion!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T-2 said:

I really appreciate that you took the time to share what this experience is- it is such a huge help in planning.  I wouldn't mind at all just forgoing the return- the hesitation was committing that the 83 year old could manage the entire hike in the amount of time allowed, this is just the perfect solution.  And it might be that having seen the route, he might still prefer to ride back down and we can just let the driver know.  Thank you so much, you've taken all the worry out of booking this excursion!

I am now traveling with three children, so I completely understand that for some travelers planning makes the difference between being able to enjoy their vacation versus not being able to access the sights.  I was really impressed by the accessibility in Norway - at the Loen Skylift, there were lifts everywhere so people with wheelchairs could access the entire restaurant, not just one section like there would be in the U.S.   

Also, something I thought of after my trip since I almost didn't make it to the glacier is that another possibility is to write to the company that runs the troll cars and ask them if you can have a longer than usual time frame to return to your troll car if you are with a young child or a person who will take a long time completing the short flat hike to the glacier.  They might be able to accommodate that request if you ask ahead of time.  

I hope you have a wonderful time - Norway is amazing!  My review in my signature line goes over Olden (we also did the Loen Skylift which is amazing if the weather is good), Geiranger and Flam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks you for a really good review, we are on Anthem again in October (was on her in May for 2 nights) and are looking forward to sailing on her albeit to sunnier locations! Oh and you are right about only having to drive to the port rather than having to fly, it's so much better.

On 6/19/2023 at 12:51 PM, #55worktoplay said:

Great review and pics. The scenery looks amazing. 

Thanks

Thanks for reading, it really was stunning 🙂

On 6/21/2023 at 7:23 PM, aubreyc1988 said:

Thank you very much for the review! I am from Texas and doing this itinerary in early Sept, taking my in-laws with us!  They haven't sailed Royal Caribbean before and I hope Anthem will make a good first impression. All of us haven't done this itinerary and we are so excited! It looks beautiful! Sad about your Geiranger experience 😞

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it. Hope you all have a wonderful cruise 🙂

12 hours ago, Roybthered said:

Thanks you for a really good review, we are on Anthem again in October (was on her in May for 2 nights) and are looking forward to sailing on her albeit to sunnier locations! Oh and you are right about only having to drive to the port rather than having to fly, it's so much better.

Thanks for reading, hope you have a lovely cruise with some nice sunny weather 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 12:38 AM, preb said:

Thank you for your wonderful review!  We are sailing in September and loved your sneak peek on what to expect. 🙂

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it. Have a wonderful cruise 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for a great review and all the info. I’m on same itinerary 3rd September and want to ask what the temperature is like in the evenings in public areas and restaurants. I usually find the aircon is too cold when I’ve sailed previously in hotter climates. I’ve got a balcony guarantee, only booked a week ago and it was lower price than an inside cabin,fingers crossed we get a great room like you! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 8:42 AM, Bonniegirl1 said:

Thanks for a great review and all the info. I’m on same itinerary 3rd September and want to ask what the temperature is like in the evenings in public areas and restaurants. I usually find the aircon is too cold when I’ve sailed previously in hotter climates. I’ve got a balcony guarantee, only booked a week ago and it was lower price than an inside cabin,fingers crossed we get a great room like you! 

On the same sailing as you! I am so excited

And thanks to the OP for the review, bummer about one of your ports being canceled, really hope that doesn't happen to me. I would understand, but the would be very disappointed because of how excited I am to see everything and coming all the way from Texas. 

Excellent review!  We’re doing this cruise on Sept 3rd after our previous cruise to Spain and France.   Anthem is my absolutely favorite ship (amid I’ve been on all but 3 Royal ships) and am excited about both of our upcoming cruises and spending 14 days in a row on board.

On 7/17/2023 at 2:42 PM, Bonniegirl1 said:

Thanks for reading. We found the temp inside to be ok, except the solarium, which was too humid for us. Hope you get a great room. Have a lovely cruise 🙂

On 8/1/2023 at 5:41 PM, aubreyc1988 said:

On the same sailing as you! I am so excited

And thanks to the OP for the review, bummer about one of your ports being canceled, really hope that doesn't happen to me. I would understand, but the would be very disappointed because of how excited I am to see everything and coming all the way from Texas. 

Thanks for reading. Hope you have a great cruise and don’t have any missed ports. Just one of those things we can’t plan for unfortunately 🙂

On 8/1/2023 at 10:50 PM, sellwingri said:

Excellent review!  We’re doing this cruise on Sept 3rd after our previous cruise to Spain and France.   Anthem is my absolutely favorite ship (amid I’ve been on all but 3 Royal ships) and am excited about both of our upcoming cruises and spending 14 days in a row on board.

Thanks for reading. Hope you have a great cruise 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

What a small world. My late husband and I were on the Sun Viking in 1984! I wonder if the same cruise. I will be on this one with 5 grown up granddaughters and my youngest daughter. Not really a lover of huge ships but chose this as there will be plenty to keep the family occupied. Also no flights involved for them. This will be my 3rd fjord cruise 2 on Azamara so I expect this to be very different. Excited to be on a ship and having lots of family with me.