Live from the Koningsdam - Alaska Inside Passage - June 3-10, 2023

visagrunt

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

visagrunt was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

We have made the arduous 30 km journey from our home to our pre-departure hotel stay at the Fairmont Waterfront.  A few beverages while we watch the Radiance of the Seas and the Crown Princess sail away will aid in our recovery (and to get my drink lifting arm in training for the week ahead!).

Updates will follow as events unfold (and as wifi bandwidth permits)

James & Chuck

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Hope you guys have a smooth (as possible) embarkation day! After your arduous journey to the port, you are getting in cruise mode at the hotel..! 🍷

We are also doing this cruise on 6/24. Did the same ship and cruise last year and it was half empty... Won't be this time around!

I would appreciate it if someone on the K could tell me if you can order for your cabin a bottle of Smirnoff vodka without the canned soda.  I have cola pkg. also if you have a price.   The available list of beverages is very poor on navigator.   

18 hours ago, visagrunt said:

get my drink lifting arm in training for the week ahead!).

Best wishes on your physical therapy! Just remember that the secret is lots of reps with light weights.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, POA1 said:

Best wishes on your physical therapy! Just remember that the secret is lots of reps with light weights.

I respectfully disagree.  You start with a full weight, then with each lift, reduce the weight by a little bit.  Then after a set, start with a full weight again and reduce with each lift.  🙂 

• Haha 5

And herewith, day the first.

Embarkation could not have been easier.  We elected to trundle across the street with our own bags, rather than to trust the good offices of the Fairmont to deliver them.  What might, in days of old, have been a simple drop off at the taxi rank became a descent to P2 (short wait for the single elevator to take as many parties as possible at a time).  We then followed the standard route from the P2 luggage drop off, up the lift to the Port of Vancouver interpretive centre and into the infamous Room C.

Priority boarding was clearly marked and included no one in front of us.  It took us longer to take the route out than it had to check in.  The walk outside and the escalator back down to where we started involved no stops, and security took longer to walk through the rope maze than it did to clear.  The queue for US preclearance was empty and a kiosk became available as we walked up to the end of the queue.  Much scanning and button mashing ensued prior to the delivery of two receipts which were handed off in short order, bringing us to the hold-room-to-get-into-the hold-room.  We were seated and groups of HAL passengers were invited to advance to the actual-hold-room, where the wheat (priority boarding) was separated from the chaff.  About 15 minutes later embarkation began and we set foot on the deck of Koningsdam at 1108 am (I looked).  The longest delays were the two periods of being seated in the hold rooms.  None of the processes involved anything that a self-respecting British person would call a queue.  (That being said, the non-priority check-in section looked somewhat different from our experience.)

Having embarked so early, rooms were only very nearly ready (not that this prevented us from dropping our carry on bags).  Bars were only just in the process of opening, impeding the first beverage (a mojito, given the strength of the noonday sun today in Vancouver).

I am pleased to report that the Mariner's lunch in the dining room has returned and we were spared any need to contemplate the Lido Market.  All of our pre-departure purchases and bookings were confirmed/obtained in good order.  Baggage arrived at the room by 2 pm and we were unpacked before the hour for muster check in rolled around.

I am also pleased to report that the speed and friendliness of service cannot be faulted.  In February on Celebrity Edge we would get so fed up waiting for a bar server we would walk up to the bar and order (while someone was designated to preserve our seats from poachers).  No such fears here.  In the Ocean Bar (in the crush of embarkation day traffic on Deck 2) we were able to order drinks within seconds, and no fewer than three other people inquired whether we had ordered in the interval before said drinks arrived.

Some brief quiet in our Cabana followed (with even prompter bar service from our cabana attendant Paolo) followed by mani-pedis during which my nail therapist nicked my toe during the trimming phase (which was addressed most professionally).  My husband proceed to tease her mercilessly (fuelled no doubt by the three glasses of prosecco he managed to quaff during proceedings).  A note on Navigator complimented my nail therapist for her professionalism.  I chose not to berate her colleague for fueling my husband's prosecco habit.  Much laughter was had before we headed down to Club Orange for dinner.

I can report that the Alaskan rockfish and the pork medallions both received rave reviews from amongst our party of 7.  The Club Orange special was a Peruvian chicken which we had encountered last year in the very same room, but which was eclipsed by may more interesting choices arising from HAL's heritage dishes that are featuring on the menu.  Our less adventurous colleagues opted for striploins ("You know we are going to Pinnacle Grill on Monday, right??")

The hour is late but the light is strong.  Our room attendant has turned town my bed and I am sorely tempted to fall into it so fatigued is my drinking arm.  So I probably shall.   Though I may find some second wind after I hit, "Submit Reply."

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Cruisin'allovertheworld said:

Following also. We are on the 07/08 sailing and as it is our first time with Holland America and our first Alaska experience (we're from Australia and have only been to the Norwegian Fjords) we are keen to see/learn all we can beforehand!

Welcome. Alaska is a continent of wonders. On the first evening, enjoy the sunset.

Your first sea day is through the sheltered inner Passage eat of Vancouver Island. As you pass open waters near the rain forests of Haida Gwai, the sea can become more unruly.

There is a lovely dawn (weather permitting) through the channel to Juneau. The weather is so variable that you cannot be certain of whether it will be clear skies or overcast. Alaska is always an adventure.

Alaska Koningsdam Day 1 sunset DSC_0537.jpg

Alaska Koningsdam Day 3 Juneau DSC_0654.jpg

Alaska Koningsdam Day 3 Juneau DSC_0666.jpg

Juneau DSC_3994.jpg

Juneau DSC_3997.jpg

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from the Koningdam just north of Vancouver Island.  Not the OP but our experience boarding with CO yesterday was the same. Having a wonderful time so far. May add pictures as the cruise progresses. Hopefully all that "exercise " doesn't slow down the OP's wonderful writing style! 20230604_073304.thumb.jpg.9f04e70b36bcc049a08abbc62a812b59.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And herewithin, Day the Second.

Coffee and pastries arrived bang on the dot at 6 am.  The coffee was of its usual excellent standard.  The plain croissants were clearly day olds (fair enough, they over bake to handle turnaround day when many crew are otherwise occupied).  Fortunately my almond croissant was perfectly fresh.

Our improvised table for seven in CO was waiting for us on arrival for breakfast, even if some of our party were stragglers.

10 laps of deck 3 in a strong breeze (Beaufort 6) but partly cloudy skies served to accomplish today's step count, followed by quality time in the thermal suite.  Despite a fully loaded ship, on a sea day, there were only 4 people in the thermal pool, and a similar number occupying loungers.  Tranquility abounded.

The Retreat was breezy, but our cabana attendants were more than happy to spare us any risk of disturbing (more accurately being disturbed by) the Lido Market or Lido pool for lunch.  Even on a mild weather cruise like Alaska, the Retreat is worth the price of admission!

A shave and facial followed.  Gentlemen:  there is no sin more indulgent than being shaved, and this particular spa treatment is the ne plus ultra of the type.  Nary a hint of burn or redness, and one's face is left as smooth as in one's boyhood.

Tonight was dressy night, and my husband and I do not disappoint.  We were kilted up.  Our fellow passengers presented the usual mixed presentation.  There were several Indian families who were spectacularly dressed (and frankly would have given us a run for our money, were it not for the completely unfair advantage that a kilt presents!)

A small timing hiccup meant that our usual CO table was occupied.  We chose to delay, meaning we were not seated until after 8 and we closed the place down--but the rack of lamb was superb and our picky companion's special request for chicken was both accommodated and delicious.  I have told my companions, "ask for it and it will probably happen," and this crew has not failed to cash the cheque I have so cavalierly written.

It was formal night, so I dropped my usual flutter at the roulette table which was most assuredly not my friend tonight.  I am going to assume that it is saving itself for my birthday night to pay out.

The crowds were thick on music walk suggesting that I'm not the only passenger having a splendid cruise.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from the balcony on the Koningsdam, maybe the weather forecast will be wrong today. Still plenty of snow on the mountain tops. Can see the Eurodam a few miles behind us and the pilot boat approaching from the bow.

20230605_063711.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/3/2023 at 7:43 PM, renee00 said:

I just visited it yesterday! It's very nice.

20230602_191924.thumb.jpg.50046d8f7d87e683e342b2340f6e0cd2.jpg

Wow.  That looks inviting instead of just an afterthought on the ship. I hope there are some comfortable chairs nearby with a view of the ocean.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, quack2 said:

Wow.  That looks inviting instead of just an afterthought on the ship. I hope there are some comfortable chairs nearby with a view of the ocean.

There were only a handful of chairs inside, but they did indeed have a lovely view outside and looked comfortable. I plan to test them out my next cruise!

Day the fourth dawned--as it so often does--with the gentle knock at the door which betokens the welcome arrival of coffee and pastries.

The view was the welcome sight of the Alaskan Inside passage; albeit under a heavy, leaden sky which did not abate.  But we live in this same rainforest and we shan't let a little gray skies and potential for rain get in the way.

The morning routine of breakfast at CO, 10 laps of deck 3 and the Thermal Suite were all achieved.  We almost regretted the choice of lunch from the Retreat, but the roof kept the brief rain away and the blankets cut the chill as we tied up in Juneau.

Juneau is not my favourite port on the itinerary, and after five visits I was disinclined to disembark.  A nap was had to rest my lifting arm and prepare for the hard work of the Pinnacle Grill.

Dinner was exactly as expected--but I had set those expectations high.  And PG met them.  $7 was willingly handed over to add some clothesline bacon for the table.  Truth to tell, I like it well enough, and it shows well, but it's not my personal go-to.  On the other hand, the filet and lobster dumplings continues to be a solid winner, especially when beets with blue cheese, creamed spinach and mushrooms join the party on my plate.

The Rolling Stone Rock Room was overflowing as the band began their 7:45 set.  I lament the loss of Lincoln Center Square, and there will be words about that on my survey.  But there seems to be ample enthusiasm for the music that is available.

• Like 1

@visagrunt  Loving your reviews!

Do you know if the northbound portion of the trip went on the East or West side of Vancouver island?  All of the maps show the trip on the East/inside passage side, but I've read reports from others that earlier trips this year on the Kon. went on the west side of the island (i.e. into the open ocean).  

Again, thank you.