Adventure cruises in NZ ?

There are some overnight cruises operating in Fiordland. Milford Sound used to have one as we went on it years ago. I thing there are others that operate in Doubtful Sound.

Anywhere else would probably just be day trips. 

40 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There are some overnight cruises operating in Fiordland. Milford Sound used to have one as we went on it years ago. I thing there are others that operate in Doubtful Sound.

Anywhere else would probably just be day trips. 

Yes Milford Sound cruises were recommended to me. There used to be overnight cruises in Bay of islands.

9 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes Milford Sound cruises were recommended to me. There used to be overnight cruises in Bay of islands.

Google says there still are overnight cruises in the Bay of Islands. Also in the Hauraki Gulf out of Auckland.

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Google says there still are overnight cruises in the Bay of Islands. Also in the Hauraki Gulf out of Auckland.

We did an overnight cruise in The Bay of Islands. It sounded great but it was a backpacker cruise and we felt totally out of place. I wondered why it seemed like such good value!

There's a company called Heritage Expeditions which does cruises around NZ, including one to the south of the two main islands, to some NZ sub antarctic islands , plus Macquarie Island, which is Australian. I'd love to do that one.

https://www.heritage-expeditions.com/destinations/subantarctic-islands-travel/

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

There's a company called Heritage Expeditions which does cruises around NZ, including one to the south of the two main islands, to some NZ sub antarctic islands , plus Macquarie Island, which is Australian. I'd love to do that one.

I’m actually looking at their website now from 10/23!

On 6/4/2023 at 2:14 PM, cruiser3775 said:

During 2021 when our boarders were closed we did a trip with them - as far as the Snares plus Stewart Island and Fiordland - it was good - and  very different from the only other cruise we'd done at the time - Queen Elizabeth - we went on an ice-strengthened Russian vessel with only 60 pax - but I think now they are operating larger, more luxurious ships which I think is a bit of the shame. I liked that we all fitted on the Zodiacs at the same time - no waiting. Also one sitting for dinner.  It got pretty rough  going down to the  Snares but I finally found a sea-sickness cure that worked on me (patches). 

Here are the pics 2021 Spirit of Enderby (mixbook.com)

9 hours ago, lissie said:

During 2021 when our boarders were closed we did a trip with them - as far as the Snares plus Stewart Island and Fiordland - it was good - and  very different from the only other cruise we'd done at the time - Queen Elizabeth - we went on an ice-strengthened Russian vessel with only 60 pax - but I think now they are operating larger, more luxurious ships which I think is a bit of the shame. I liked that we all fitted on the Zodiacs at the same time - no waiting. Also one sitting for dinner.  It got pretty rough  going down to the  Snares but I finally found a sea-sickness cure that worked on me (patches). 

Here are the pics 2021 Spirit of Enderby (mixbook.com)

Thank you for the link.  I recall you doing that unique cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Ponant does adventure cruises around NZ but they are expensive.

https://us.ponant.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=new+zealand

They go to the Chathams and sub-Antarctic islands, not just the two main islands

Ponant had real issues during  the pandemic - one of the companies who pretty much refused to refund money plus also tried to run a cruise to NZ when the borders were closed and thought they would get away with it (they didn't - inconveniencing those  who had booked). 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, lissie said:

Ponant had real issues during  the pandemic - one of the companies who pretty much refused to refund money plus also tried to run a cruise to NZ when the borders were closed and thought they would get away with it (they didn't - inconveniencing those  who had booked). 

These are things people remember and tell their friends.  

• Like 3

21 hours ago, lissie said:

Yes, I do remember that.