Candy wrapper purse

Years ago, during a cruise stop at Costa Maya, I was attracted to the purses made of candy wrappers woven together.  So many interesting ones that I couldn't decide, and left empty-handed.  Subsequent stops at Cozumel had a few, but nothing that I liked.  All were $25 or less.  Then, I saw some in a ritzy airport shop, but  $100 and up.

Today, at a church fund raiser, I found one, and it is the perfect size to be my new onboard-the-ship bag, holding my glasses, ship card, mints, and a hanky. Yay!

Have any of you ever had one?  Mine is Hershey's Kisses wrappers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Years ago, during a cruise stop at Costa Maya, I was attracted to the purses made of candy wrappers woven together.  So many interesting ones that I couldn't decide, and left empty-handed.  Subsequent stops at Cozumel had a few, but nothing that I liked.  All were $25 or less.  Then, I saw some in a ritzy airport shop, but  $100 and up.

Today, at a church fund raiser, I found one, and it is the perfect size to be my new onboard-the-ship bag, holding my glasses, ship card, mints, and a hanky. Yay!

No but I bought a friends daughter one made with gum wrappers in Puerto Vallarta years ago.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If anyone else is looking for something similar, try Etsy or Ebay. 

Yes, I looked at ebay after I got home, to see if they were still around.  Some were in the hundreds of dollars!

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Would love to see a picture!

Yes, except mine is just two alternating pictures, with the word and picture centered nicely in each square.  (Sorry, I don't have the ability to do a photo, but thank you, cruisemom, for the ones above.)

I have seen them but never bought.   There is a woman in Portland Oregon who makes little purses out of children's book covers.  You can order one from your favorite childhood story.  She also makes record album tote bags and various wallets and card holders

Mugwump on Etsy

6 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

I have seen them but never bought.   There is a woman in Portland Oregon who makes little purses out of children's book covers.  You can order one from your favorite childhood story.  She also makes record album tote bags and various wallets and card holders

Mugwump on Etsy

Thanks for this info!  And for the pictures, @cruisemom42.

• 1 month later...

My little purse garnered a lot of attention on my recent cruise. The only downside was its small size. In the evening I use a purse just for menu glasses, seapass card, lipstick and hanky.  This time I had to just wrap my glasses in a hanky instead of the glasses case.  But it was fun to have, and it only cost $1 at the fund-raiser.

• 4 months later...