Copenhagen to Copenhagen June 11-25 Sailing The Coast of Norway

SLSD

This voyage has included one of the best lecture series I have ever heard on a Seabourn ship.  Jennifer Eremeeva is the lecturer.  And while she says she is a Russia expert, her knowledge and explanation of Norwegian history has been superb.  She has provided her card (pictured here) which includes a link to a reading list (including some movies to watch).  I thought that some of you who are doing this itinerary later might like to have the reading list ahead of time.   I will warn you--you will end up Subscribed to her website if you want the list.  That is not a bad thing--there is a lot on her website of interest.  Today's lecture was on King Haakan's War and the reading list looks very interesting:  https://jennifereremeeva.com/lectures/reading-lists/vikings-iceland-scandi/king-haakons-war/

IMG_6019.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Glad to know the galley lunch is alive and well on the ovation.  We didn’t have it during the April crossing.  We had 11 sea days and thought it was unusual not to offer the lunch.  In speaking with the f &b manager, it wasn’t being held due to an operational issue.

nancy

40 minutes ago, nancygp said:

Glad to know the galley lunch is alive and well on the ovation.  We didn’t have it during the April crossing.  We had 11 sea days and thought it was unusual not to offer the lunch.  In speaking with the f &b manager, it wasn’t being held due to an operational issue.

nancy

The galley lunch is alive and well--but we did not go.  I've been to a number of galley lunches and it just is not our thing.  We had lunch at the Patio Grill today along with quite a few others.  I feel guilty about not providing photos of the galley lunch!  Next up is the second lecture by Steve Wozniak.  I hope my spelling is ok.    Today has been a very relaxing sea day.  I've loved it!

5 hours ago, SLSD said:

Today is a sea day.  We will probably take in several lectures and Mr. SLSD wants to attend the Galley Lunch.  We'll spend the rest of the day relaxing, enjoying the ship and doing some reading.  

IMG_6015.jpg

We ended up NOT doing the Galley Lunch--much to my approval.  We had a wonderful lunch at the Pool Grill.  

18 minutes ago, SLSD said:

The galley lunch is alive and well--but we did not go.  I've been to a number of galley lunches and it just is not our thing.  We had lunch at the Patio Grill today along with quite a few others.  I feel guilty about not providing photos of the galley lunch!  Next up is the second lecture by Steve Wozniak.  I hope my spelling is ok.    Today has been a very relaxing sea day.  I've loved it!

I am with you regarding galley lunches. I don't like the long line. My wife and I will probably opt for the Patio Grill the next time.

• Like 1

We continue to enjoy sailing along the Norwegian coast and are all set for another relaxing sea day today.  I plan to attend the cooking demonstration at 9:45am while Mr. SLSD will be content to work on his projects.  

I would give the food on this cruise a solid B+.  This is just my own assessment and I'm not even going to ask Mr. SLSD for his opinion.  I think the best food I've had so far has been our meals at Earth and Ocean and  one lunch in The Restaurant.  I find that just a bit surprising.  The biggest disappointment was last night in The Restaurant.  I punted and ordered what has always been tried and true on past cruises--the salmon from the Classic Menu.  For this entree, the salmon comes accompanied by orrichete  pasta with some peas and carrots in a cream sauce.  First, the pasta was was undercooked--not even approaching al dente.  The salmon was overcooked and even a bit tough--as if it had been sitting under a warming light for a good long time.  Yes, I should have sent it back but I am so well fed by this point in the cruise that I didn't really need more food.  My salad had been very good and I knew that a dessert was on the horizon.  When asked how our dinner was--I said it was fine.  I regret that now.  I should have been honest and sent it back--but asked that another plate not be brought.  I just hated to disappoint our cheerful waiter who has done some an exemplary job at every single meal.  

While I am not a foodie, I am also hard to impress when it comes to food.  Most everything we have been served as been good, but few things have knocked my socks off.  Our favorite restaurant has been Earth And Ocean.  Everything we have been served there has been quite good and has left us looking forward to our next meal there.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SLSD isn’t it interesting, as you noted prior, how different peoples opinions can be of what could be expected to be the same experience.  Case in point, we considered dinner in the Restaurant las night to be the best of the voyage thus far.  Mrs. ordered a main course size portion of the raviollo, I the chicken cordon blue, both were in our judgement excellent.  Coupled with the much lighter load (many skipped due to the Galley lunch) we left feeling better served and completely happy.  

We’ve yet to make Earth and Ocean an omission which is sure to be corrected either tonight or latest tomorrow.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jondfk said:

SLSD isn’t it interesting, as you noted prior, how different peoples opinions can be of what could be expected to be the same experience.  Case in point, we considered dinner in the Restaurant las night to be the best of the voyage thus far.  Mrs. ordered a main course size portion of the raviollo, I the chicken cordon blue, both were in our judgement excellent.  Coupled with the much lighter load (many skipped due to the Galley lunch) we left feeling better served and completely happy.  

We’ve yet to make Earth and Ocean an omission which is sure to be corrected either tonight or latest tomorrow.

I'm sure other items on the menu were excellent.  My husband had a pasta dish which was perfectly fine.  I just won't order the tried and true (previously) salmon again.  I made a mistake in not telling our very fine waiter (flawless service always) that my plate was close to inedible.  I've thought about it some more--and now I think the pasta that accompanied the salmon was NOT underdone--but rather also a victim of the warming lights which had made it hard and starchy. There is much to choose from on the menu.  I was just unlucky last night.  I did see several people ordering the chicken cordon bleu and it did look good.  

• Like 1

I'm sure that up to today everyone here might have considered me to be a total Seabourn cheerleader.  That has never been the case.  While the service has been impeccable for us this voyage, I do have a couple of observations which are less than complimentary.  First, the towels in the bathroom are not great at all.  They are small, thin, and scratchy.  If we had such towels in our own home, they would have been replaced some time ago.  

Also, while our excursions have had excellent guides and have been enjoyable experiences, the buses have been too full.  Every bus we have been on has been almost if not completely full. This is not ideal, especially at a time when there is still the Covid virus everywhere.  I would have expected SB to arrange for less crowded excursions.  If they were asked, they might say that this is what is available.  I haven't asked, so I don't know.  I will be leaving a comments in the comment boxes at Seabourn Square.  

I don't have any other complaints--so other than one poor meal, the towels and crowded buses, everything has been as expected and quite nice.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, SLSD said:

… I do have a couple of observations which are less than complimentary.  First, the towels in the bathroom are not great at all.  They are small, thin, and scratchy.  If we had such towels in our own home, they would have been replaced some time ago.  

I couldn’t agree more there is nothing whatsoever luxurious about the towels.  Small, thin and scratchy, to which I’ll add non absorbent. The last Holiday Inn we stayed in had far better.  Were we at home such towels would likewise have been retired many years ago if indeed we ever made the mistake to purchase them to begin with.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I'm sure that up to today everyone here might have considered me to be a total Seabourn cheerleader.  That has never been the case.  While the service has been impeccable for us this voyage, I do have a couple of observations which are less than complimentary.  First, the towels in the bathroom are not great at all.  They are small, thin, and scratchy.  If we had such towels in our own home, they would have been replaced some time ago.  

Also, while our excursions have had excellent guides and have been enjoyable experiences, the buses have been too full.  Every bus we have been on has been almost if not completely full. This is not ideal, especially at a time when there is still the Covid virus everywhere.  I would have expected SB to arrange for less crowded excursions.  If they were asked, they might say that this is what is available.  I haven't asked, so I don't know.  I will be leaving a comments in the comment boxes at Seabourn Square.  

I don't have any other complaints--so other than one poor meal, the towels and crowded buses, everything has been as expected and quite nice.  

We did our first Seabourn cruise last month for my 70th on the Encore. It lived up to or exceeded our expectations in all respects. After our first bath/shower we asked our cabin attendant whether they had larger towels and for therest of the cruise we had 4 larger fluffy towels in our bathroom every day.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jondfk said:

I couldn’t agree more there is nothing whatsoever luxurious about the towels.  Small, thin and scratchy, to which I’ll add non absorbent. The last Holiday Inn we stayed in had far better.  Were we at home such towels would likewise have been retired many years ago if indeed we ever made the mistake to purchase them to begin with.

You see it like I do.  I have to use two towels to dry off after a shower.  The towels are not absorbent.  

I am just out of a cooking demonstration with Chef Trevor Connolly, Executive Chef de Cuisine.  He told us (when asked) that he has been with Seabourn since December, but in the cruising industry for 20 years.  He was asked about the menus for the ship--and he offered that all are prescribed by the corporation and that there is no room for change--except on a very few nights--such as tonight, which is our second formal night. 

Today, Chef Connolly was demonstrating how to make a simple Steak Diane.  He said his usual recipe would be a lot more complicated with additional ingredients.  This is the pared down version he said.  

IMG_6038.jpg

IMG_6037.jpg

IMG_6036.JPG

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Darspurs said:

We did our first Seabourn cruise last month for my 70th on the Encore. It lived up to or exceeded our expectations in all respects. After our first bath/shower we asked our cabin attendant whether they had larger towels and for therest of the cruise we had 4 larger fluffy towels in our bathroom every day.

Thank you for this suggestion!!  

31 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Thank you for this suggestion!!  

SLSD, I'm in complete agreement with you regarding towel size and quality, and IMO it's been that way for years.  We always ask our suite attendant to provide the larger towels. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, robertmartha said:

SLSD...thinking ahead for our sailing on Ovation in a few months...hoping Christian may still be on board!

Really makes a difference in the Restaurant (at least for us) when you have a fantastic and engaging waiter.  

I will ask Cristian how long he will be on board.  

1 hour ago, Darspurs said:

I do thank you for this suggestion.  On the other hand I find it a bit discouraging to learn that this problem is so common as to have a solution readily at hand, but to deploy it only to those who actively point out the problem. 

I’ll probably leave it alone for the remainder of this sailing, but will surely ask the first day on Odyssey in August.

46 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

SLSD, I'm in complete agreement with you regarding towel size and quality, and IMO it's been that way for years.  We always ask our suite attendant to provide the larger towels. 

Isklaar, I agree the towels have gotten scratchy over the years. I will say for our first few weeks on Quest this year we got some lovely larger, fluffier towels so I thought they must have changed them. Then the older ones returned, then the new. I hope they are soon transitioning to the newer towels.

• Like 1

Please don’t flame me for this, it is just my observation and how we chose to sail.  We stay in the premium suites - Owners Suite or Signature Suite and have recently been doing the Wintergarden Suite as it is mid ship.  Those suites always have the nice, big fluffy towels (and different bathrobes).  I did not realize they were segregating towels by suite size!

9 minutes ago, LMB01 said:

Please don’t flame me for this, it is just my observation and how we chose to sail.  We stay in the premium suites - Owners Suite or Signature Suite and have recently been doing the Wintergarden Suite as it is mid ship.  Those suites always have the nice, big fluffy towels (and different bathrobes).  I did not realize they were segregating towels by suite size!

It is disappointing to hear that the premium suites get premium towels, while other get inadequate towels.  We have never felt a need for a larger than standard suite as it is plenty large enough for the two of us.  I understand that some people just need more room for various reasons--because they like it--or spend more time in their suite than others, etc.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SLSD said:

It is disappointing to hear that the premium suites get premium towels, while other get inadequate towels.  We have never felt a need for a larger than standard suite as it is plenty large enough for the two of us.  I understand that some people just need more room for various reasons--because they like it--or spend more time in their suite than others, etc.  

yes, we spend time in our suite and just like more room

we do the same when in a hotel - I want 1 1/2 baths!

Truthfully, I could not spend one night in a standard suite!

we did a very short cruise in a Penthouse suite and were ready to leave after an hour!  Everyone’s wants and needs are different 

the towel situation is like the bath mat situation though I understand from a FB group that bath mats are being rectified!

Edited by LMB01
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LMB01 said:

yes, we spend time in our suite and just like more room

we do the same when in a hotel - I want 1 1/2 baths!

the towel situation is like the bath mat situation though I understand from a FB group that bath mats are being rectified!

We have a fluffy gray bath mat!  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SLSD said:

We have a fluffy gray bath mat!  

Gray!?!

wow, I can’t wait!

sorry, I keep editing my post

on the FB group, a gray, fluffy bath at would be picture worthy!

Edited by LMB01