Disembarking a day or two before cruise ends in Europe

hammsbear

14 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

So, if you board an NCL ship in Seattle and try to disembark somewhere in Alaska without having first stopped in another country, such as Canada, the cruise line will be facing a fairly stiff fine for violating the Passenger Vessel Service Act (PVSA)

Even if your ship had made a stop in Canada it would still be a PVSA violation if you disembarked in Canada. The ship has to make a port call in what is defined as a distant foreign port, not just any foreign port, to carry passengers from one US port to another US port. No port in Canada is a distant foreign port.

A foreign flagged ship can't board passengers in Miami and transport them to LA, unless they stop somewhere en route in a foreign country

As above, not just any foreign port, it has to be a distant foreign port. On an itinerary from Miami to LA the ABC islands qualify as a distant foreign port.

There are exceptions, of course, for medical emergencies and other possible reasons

Actually, there's no exception for medical reasons, but the fine can be appealed and there's a possibility it will be waived in the case of a medical issue.

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Actually, there's no exception for medical reasons, but the fine can be appealed and there's a possibility it will be waived in the case of a medical issue.

I would go as far to say a probability as opposed to a possibility.

I think @chengkp75 would be a better source for that information,

Edited by ontheweb
added second paragraph

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I would go as far to say a probability as opposed to a possibility.

I think @chengkp75 would be a better source for that information,

As someone who was a mathematician I would never say "probability" when I had no evidence about what that probability was. Hence the use of "possibility". 😉

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

As someone who was a mathematician I would never say "probability" when I had no evidence about what that probability was. Hence the use of "possibility". 😉

If empirical evidence showed it to be near 100%, would probability be acceptable to you then? 😉