Sailing to see Santa (almost) —- Jewel of the Seas Arctic Circle voyage - June 17, 2023

Welcome to Olden! 

IMG_3958.png

IMG_3963.jpeg

IMG_3973.jpeg

IMG_3969.jpeg

IMG_3975.jpeg

Another stunningly beautiful day! Super clear skies, and highs in the upper 60s F. I don’t know how we have been so lucky with the weather. Today is shorts and T-shirts. 

Heading up the Loen Skylift this morning. Booked directly with Olden Adventures, includes bus to/from Loen.  No set timetable, buses run every 15 minutes or so! 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 6

40 minutes ago, HeiPus said:

What kind of power sockets are in your cabin, if you don't mind me asking? Trying to decide if we need to bring adapters.

Here are the outlets on the desk:

IMG_4087.jpeg

IMG_4089.jpeg

nothing by the beds. Due to the lack of USBs, we use this adapter in the European outlet:  

IMG_4088.jpeg

And just a lightning cable outlet plug :

IMG_4090.jpeg

I have a six USB charging unit but I have not used it. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Captain Michael just gave a great explanation of why our itinerary was modified. 

Due to the lack of rain in Central Europe, particularly Holland and Germany, the salinity of the water all the way to Amsterdam is forecast to be above a limit of 4000mg/liter. Once that level is reached, the locks between Amsterdam and the ocean are restricted in operation to 6am to 7pm. The more frequently the locks are operated, the more salt water is released into the river towards Amsterdam. 

The critical level will be reached tomorrow. On our normal schedule, we would reach the locks at 1:30am in order to be alongside and ready to depart at 7am. If we had to wait until the locks could open at 6am on the 29th, we would not be alongside until 10:30ish. That would most likely result in folks missing flights and impacting the next cruise. So the decision was made to skip Molde in order to be at the locks on the 28th before they close. We are scheduled to be alongside in Amsterdam at 4pm on the 28th.

More rainfall produces more fresh water into the water system keeping the salinity below the threshold. 

Now back to our regularly a scheduled program……

mac_tlc

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Loen Skylift. Wow !! On a spectacular warm no clouds blue sky day? Almost indescribable. We met the shuttle bus to the Skylift right next to the ship, they run every 15 minutes. I have another 100 or more pictures but I’ll try to pick the best. It is difficult. 

From the bottom of the skylift:

IMG_3989.jpeg

View down a fjord towards the glacier from the cable car:

IMG_4007.jpeg

Looking back towards Olden, Jewel of the Seas on the left side:

IMG_4029.jpeg

Spectacular Mountain View towards Olden, incredible blue sky:

IMG_4014.jpeg

From the top overlooking Loen towards glacier:

IMG_4031.jpeg

IMG_4068.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 10

38 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Captain Michael just gave a great explanation of why our itinerary was modified. 

Due to the lack of rain in Central Europe, particularly Holland and Germany, the salinity of the water all the way to Amsterdam is forecast to be above a limit of 4000mg/liter. Once that level is reached, the locks between Amsterdam and the ocean are restricted in operation to 6am to 7pm. The more frequently the locks are operated, the more salt water is released into the river towards Amsterdam. 

This same thing happened last year on our British Isles cruise, but we were notified a few weeks before. Sorry you weren’t given advance notice. 

Quite a few people seemed to really enjoy the overnight in Amsterdam (we were traveling with our 3 year old, so we enjoyed a quiet night on the ship)

45 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

The critical level will be reached tomorrow. On our normal schedule, we would reach the locks at 1:30am in order to be alongside and ready to depart at 7am. If we had to wait until the locks could open at 6am on the 29th, we would not be alongside until 10:30ish. That would most likely result in folks missing flights and impacting the next cruise. So the decision was made to skip Molde in order to be at the locks on the 28th before they close. We are scheduled to be alongside in Amsterdam at 4pm on the 28th.

More rainfall produces more fresh water into the water system keeping the salinity below the threshold. 

Now back to our regularly a scheduled program……

mac_tlc

Thank you for this explanation. Fascinating! It has not rained for several weeks now  here in the North of the Netherlands. Very unusual. Let’s hope this will change soon.

11 minutes ago, Norwaylady said:

SO happy to see your fabulous weather in Olden and Loen. This is why I love Norway🤭😍 

When the weather is good, the view and scenery is 🤩🤩

I have to say Mac’s photos have peaked my interest in going. Have watched many travel vlogs on Norway it has peaked my interest even further. 

• Like 7

Norway has always been my #1 bucket list. Never been but I frequently look at the requirements to retire there haha. 

We're hoping for 2025 as that will be the last year before the restrictions come in and won't be able to visit a couple of those stops. Pictures reminds me a bit of Alaska but something more magical about Norway.

After seeing these pictures I'm going to by gunning for an aft balcony!

Your whole trip looks amazing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

It's a 5/6h hike uphill climbing and crossing 2x hanging bridges. 

You are walking from 0 to 1011m👍

I think your new CruiseCritic name should be CrazyNorwayLady !!!!

mac_tlc

A few more pictures from on top of Loen Skylift:

IMG_4071.jpeg

IMG_4055.jpeg

IMG_4049.jpeg

IMG_4041.jpeg

We had lunch at the Hoven Restaurant at the top. It was very good —- but expensive. Did I mention the view?

IMG_4075.jpeg

IMG_4074.jpeg

Then a couple from the trip down:

IMG_4080.jpeg

IMG_4081.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 6

As we were leaving Olden and traversing the fjord to the ocean, Norway began to look like, well, Norway 😜.

IMG_4096.jpeg

IMG_4091.jpeg

IMG_4094.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mikamarii said:

Norway has always been my #1 bucket list. Never been but I frequently look at the requirements to retire there haha. 

We're hoping for 2025 as that will be the last year before the restrictions come in and won't be able to visit a couple of those stops. Pictures reminds me a bit of Alaska but something more magical about Norway.

After seeing these pictures I'm going to by gunning for an aft balcony!

Your whole trip looks amazing. 

We are already talking about coming back, maybe in 2025. I really recommend the aft cabin. After this trip, I couldn’t do it any other way. 

This itinerary has also been unique in that we had an overnight in Honninsvag — none on Royal in 2024. We also like that we didn’t really visit any big city, the most city like was Alesund. 

We have done Alaska and agree with you. When we first entered the first fjord, I said “wow, this reminds me of Alaska”. That thought lasted about an hour and has not returned! 

I know we have been extremely lucky with the weather, yesterday it was mid 70sF, 22C. Other than a couple hours in Honninsvag, no rain , no cold, few clouds — until we were leaving Olden.

Just magical! 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

A few more pictures from on top of Loen Skylift:

IMG_4071.jpeg

How cute! Are those just regular old feral sheep? They don't seem to be pastured or anything. I love all your beautiful photos. ☺️

9 minutes ago, Coralc said:

How cute! Are those just regular old feral sheep? They don't seem to be pastured or anything. I love all your beautiful photos. ☺️

Thanks! 

There were about 12 sheep wandering about. There did appear to be some sort of building where they came from earlier in the day so maybe they have somewhere to go when it’s not so beautiful. They were able to wander anywhere they wanted . They did have bells on.

mac_tlc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

These photos are absolutely breathtaking! DH and I have a cruise like this on our bucket list and with temps in the 100s in TX this week, that cooler weather looks so refreshing! 

Don’t wait! The possible restrictions on ships being able to sail into some of these ports may be coming. 

mac_tlc