Dinner seating waitlist

BillK400

We will be taking our grandkids on the Wish for a 4-night cruise in September. Just realized we are on the late dinner seating (8:15 on this ship). The kids will be 6 & 8 and the late seating will not be good for the kids as it's not much earlier than their usual bedtime; we live on the east coast so a change in time zone won't apply. The themed dinners are a highlight for the kids and it seems that the earlier seating is much better plus you get to possibly do things after dinner (such as the fireworks that I am sure will be shot off during the late seating). We are on a waitlist for the early seating. What are the chances we get a switch to the early seating? Any other ideas on how to get into the early seating?

Thanks for any help/advice you might have.

Bill

6 hours ago, BillK400 said:

We will be taking our grandkids on the Wish for a 4-night cruise in September. Just realized we are on the late dinner seating (8:15 on this ship). The kids will be 6 & 8 and the late seating will not be good for the kids as it's not much earlier than their usual bedtime; we live on the east coast so a change in time zone won't apply. The themed dinners are a highlight for the kids and it seems that the earlier seating is much better plus you get to possibly do things after dinner (such as the fireworks that I am sure will be shot off during the late seating). We are on a waitlist for the early seating. What are the chances we get a switch to the early seating? Any other ideas on how to get into the early seating?

Thanks for any help/advice you might have.

Bill

While I haven't sailed the Wish, all my DCL cruises were early dining waitlisted (13 cruises).  Only 2 of them didn't come through.  

Regarding the fireworks and late seating, they schedule it so you don't miss the fireworks due to late seating.  Unless you're a real lollygagger and don't finish eating on time.  If it makes you more comfortable, and you don't wind up on early seating, you can ask your server to make sure your dinner that night comes out fast so as not to miss the fireworks.

12 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

While I haven't sailed the Wish, all my DCL cruises were early dining waitlisted (13 cruises).  Only 2 of them didn't come through.  

Regarding the fireworks and late seating, they schedule it so you don't miss the fireworks due to late seating.  Unless you're a real lollygagger and don't finish eating on time.  If it makes you more comfortable, and you don't wind up on early seating, you can ask your server to make sure your dinner that night comes out fast so as not to miss the fireworks.

Thanks for the info!

We were waitlisted for early dining on both our January and March 3-night Wish cruises and didn’t get it on either one. I was surprised because we’ve always been moved before. We had a 4 year old with us. It wasn’t the end of the world though and ended up working out. We got to see the earlier shows in the theater which was actually great since my son wasn’t tired for them. And the entertainment in the dining rooms kept him entertained through dinner (except for 1923, where he fell asleep lol).

You will not miss the fireworks if you have late dining. We loved late dining as we were all fresh and lively for the early show. We would grab a snack from pool deck and then would freshen up for dinner/show.  If you have early dining then you see the late show. If you have late dining you get to see the early show entertainment. Pick your poison, do you want sleepy kids in the show? The Broadway style shows were a must do for us.  Also, if you have late dining then they can do "express dining" for the kids and if you would like the kid's club staff will pick up your kids which allows the adults to have a leisurely dessert and after dinner cocktail.

The other bonus of late dining is that the fireworks and pirate show are between early and late dining. Because we had late dining we were able to stake out prime viewing spots for the show/fireworks. The show fireworks are scheduled for 7:30-8:15PM. The early diners were rushed and got less desirable spots since they were finishing dinner. After the fireworks then late diners make their way to the dining room for dinner. You don't miss anything. Even my brother-in-law who is usually an early dinner kind of guy agreed that late dinner was great, even with an 8 year old. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nolatravelgirl said:

You will not miss the fireworks if you have late dining. We loved late dining as we were all fresh and lively for the early show. We would grab a snack from pool deck and then would freshen up for dinner/show.  If you have early dining then you see the late show. If you have late dining you get to see the early show entertainment. Pick your poison, do you want sleepy kids in the show? The Broadway style shows were a must do for us.  Also, if you have late dining then they can do "express dining" for the kids and if you would like the kid's club staff will pick up your kids which allows the adults to have a leisurely dessert and after dinner cocktail.

The other bonus of late dining is that the fireworks and pirate show are between early and late dining. Because we had late dining we were able to stake out prime viewing spots for the show/fireworks. The show fireworks are scheduled for 7:30-8:15PM. The early diners were rushed and got less desirable spots since they were finishing dinner. After the fireworks then late diners make their way to the dining room for dinner. You don't miss anything. Even my brother-in-law who is usually an early dinner kind of guy agreed that late dinner was great, even with an 8 year old. 

Nice to know we won't miss the fireworks, but our main concern is the 6 & 8 yo grandkids. They usually have an 8 - 9 bedtime and with late dinner starting at 8:15 this may be a problem. The themed dinners are one of the highlights for the kids. I'd rather have the kids tired for the show (early dinner) than during dinner. Still hoping we can get the first seating, but don't have much hope.

I wanted an early dining and could not get even with waitlist.  They like to put older solos in late.

Sometimes I just ate at the grill area. burgers and chicken fingers were good.  watched a movie too.

I wish DCL would have a nighttime buffet.   And for the Wish, I am not a marvel fan and so that show would ruin dinner for me.

But having kids awake for the early shows is good and for other ages as well.

A show after a big meal makes for sleepyness too.   But then again the later meals mean snacking needs at 5pm too.