Which is best?

vix2000

Is it better to book directly with Cunard or through a TA?  The price with Cunard booking our own flights and post cruise hotel is the same as the TA.  We are booking inside cabins and can pick a room with the TA but not Cunard, but we would be hoping to ask to pay for a balcony upgrade onboard, as the current upgrade price is out of our budget unfortunately.  Would this be more likely if we booked direct? Thank you.

5 minutes ago, vix2000 said:

Is it better to book directly with Cunard or through a TA?  The price with Cunard booking our own flights and post cruise hotel is the same as the TA.  We are booking inside cabins and can pick a room with the TA but not Cunard, but we would be hoping to ask to pay for a balcony upgrade onboard, as the current upgrade price is out of our budget unfortunately.  Would this be more likely if we booked direct? Thank you.

It depends on where you are booking from.

US TA's are permitted to discount even Cunard's best rates.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, vix2000 said:

You can only bid to upgrade if you booked direct with Cunard currently in the U K. With many cruises being sold out and the new upgrade programme I think it’s unlikely you would get a cheap upgrade onboard sadly. 

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

For dealing with any hassles that occur, use a TA who knows about cruising.

I agree.  Travel Agents can run interference, and help you when something goes wrong.  It's nice having an advocate for you.

On 6/16/2023 at 1:21 AM, vix2000 said:

I book through Cunard direct for Cruises, airlines and hotels myself. If you are not that experienced I suggest a good Travel Agent experienced in cruising and tell them what you want i.e pay for an upgrade if they are released  cheaper nearer sailing time. Good luck and enjoy!