Dealing with a disability on a cruise

beshears

I am asking for a friend that might go with me on a cruise. I have cruised a few times but never really noticed anyone with a walker on the ship. This is my question. I do know they have rooms for someone who has a wheel chair to deal with. My friend does not have that, but uses a walker. If you or a friend ever used a walker, as well as seeing anyone on a cruise with a walker, do you know if there was much adjustment in getting around on the ship? If so, what was the major adjustment?

Following ankle surgery I had to use a Roll-a-tor knee scooter during a cruise. It was pretty manageable. I did not have a barrier free/accessible cabinet but I knew I could manage. I did request a shower bench to help overcome the bathtub side wall. The proximity of the tub and the vanity on either side of the toilet was a big help in managing there. I was able to manage to get over the threshold to access the balcony. The dining venues were all accessible. The hot tub in the Enclave area had stairs i could manage. The adult only Retreat Pool also had stairs. The only difficulties I had were waiting for overcrowded elevators and being prevented from using tenders for shore excursions. Beyond my experience I did have a family member who requested an accessible cabin to accommodate her walker and that was fantastic. Grab bars, shower bench, no threshold patio door to balcony etc. I hope your friend can take the cruise and has a great time.

Cruisers with walkers are not at all uncommon. Almost all public areas on board will be accessible. The only hitch may be using the tenders if your itinerary includes a tender port as there are usually steps that she will need to negotiate. And of course you will have to look for excursions that she can manage with the walker. Having a folding walker with a seat will make travelling much easier.

• Like 1

Many, many passengers with walkers, canes, wheelchairs and scooters on any cruise we have ever been on.  There are usually no issues with getting around the ship with a mobility device.   The crew will assist anyone who needs help up and down the gangway.

You didn't say what cruise line you will be on, but your friend might consider using the ship's wheelchair assistance for embarking (1st day getting on the ship) and disembarking (last day getting off the ship).  The ships have personnel who will push guests (using the ship's wheelchairs) from the terminal, through check-in, to inside the ship (buffet, stateroom, public area, etc).   The pusher will then take the wheelchair.  The same is true when leaving the ship on the final day.  There will be a notice indicating where disembarking passengers are to meet, including a special location for those needing wheelchair assistance.   Again, the wheelchair pushers (with the ship's wheelchairs) will take passengers off the ship.  This is extremely handy for anyone with mobility issues.   Since there will be a walker involved, perhaps you can push your friend's walker while they are being pushed in the ship's wheelchair.  (If the walker has a seat, that's a great place to place a small piece of luggage, backpack, etc.)

Additionally, the cruise line will want to know about mobility issues so their Access Department will need to be contacted to let them know someone will be using a walker.   They will probably have a form to complete.   

• Like 1

I began using a walker several years ago; now I use a scooter.  I still take my walker if there are 2 or more tender ports since scooters don't go on tenders (usually).

Be sure that the walker folds so that it fits thru the cabin door.  I also strongly suggest that it have a seat (some call that a rollator).

Your friend needs to notify your cabin steward that she will need assistance in an emergency/getting to your Muster Station.

Generally, the ships are mostly "handicapped" friendly (as others have posted above).  However, she may have to be assertive in getting on/off the elevators.  Our fellow passengers are often not very observant and/or thoughtful.

Enjoy your cruise!