Celebrity Millenium June 9

LuckyStar

We chose this cruise, frankly, because it was very inexpensive.  Cheap is always a good inducer for me.  We chose an inside guarantee for this Alaska northbound cruise.  We were fine with the inside room, #2015, that we were assigned.  A balcony would have been nice but we like going out onto the ship and meeting people.  There are plenty of viewing areas on this ship.  

Being first time Celebrity cruisers, we were unsure of what to expect. This is a small, older ship but it was very nice and kept up.  We loved the heated pools in the Solarium area. The weather was mostly always cool, hoodie or even light coat weather, so the Solarium pools were perfect.  The pool and hot tubs are salt water. There were lots of activities to keep us busy (trivia, dance lessons, games) so the entertainment team did their job well.  The at night entertainment was great, the one night we got to see it.  We had no choice but the 6:00 dining time, so we missed the 7:00 show and we're in by 9 to sleep by 10.  This is a beef I have with all cruise lines, if you have to dinner at 6:00 in the MDR, why can't shows start at 7:30?  

Food in MDR was awesome, breakfast in the MDR was good but choices seemed limited.  On the other hand, breakfast at the buffet was awesome, lunch and dinner, so so.  We aren't big drinkers so the packages aren't worth it for us.  We bring small bottles to add to OJ at breakfast, vodka and rum to add to free lemonade, fruit punch, apple juice and some days, free Passion Orange Guava (POG). We didn't drink much and we didn't buy a soda all week.  Iced and hot teas are available free.  Staff in both areas were superb.  The buffet area was also kept very clean with sanitizer offered at the entry ways. 

Our room was way forward, which we love.  No motion until the last night when we had major waves, so forward isn't for anyone who has motion issues.  We love the motion, so big score on this room.  The inside room seemed smaller but it worked for us because we spend so little time in our room.  Despite this room being two floors below the Theater (Floors 4 & 5), we never heard any noise.

The ports were very entertaining and all had lots to do. 

Precruise, we stayed at Quality Hotel Airport South in Richmond.  We got a free shuttle from the airport and a shuttle to the port the next morning for $20 PP.  I don't know if that was a good price but it sure was convenient, considering we didn't want to try to find the train station, which is much cheaper. 

The embarkation was iffy with long lines, long wait.  I hate that I had a 11 check in but those with 130 were there earlier so they were able to jump the queue.  I really don't care but I didn't get to pick my embarkation time, it was assigned, and I showed up just after 11 which was a big mistake.  I will happily arrive later and have a shorter wait but with it being our first with Celebrity, we believed the health check HAD to happen at 11 as we were told.  I'll know better next time. 

The disembarkation was the smoothest I have ever experienced and I have sailed four, now five, different cruise lines.  We walked off the boat with no long lines.  They seem to group very well.  And honestly, a lot of people were continuing on with a land tour so that may have lessoned the wait, since those parties are held on board until last. 

If I have left something out, please feel free to ask.  I give this cruise a 5 out of 5 stars.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, LuckyStar said:

...  This is a beef I have with all cruise lines, if you have to dinner at 6:00 in the MDR, why can't shows start at 7:30?  

Nice thought, but when would you propose the show for the late diners start? The current set-up was so that early diners go to the shows after dinner, and late diners would see the shows before their dining time and still have time to leisurely wander over to the dining room.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

Nice thought, but when would you propose the show for the late diners start? The current set-up was so that early diners go to the shows after dinner, and late diners would see the shows before their dining time and still have time to leisurely wander over to the dining room.

I remember shows at 7:30 and 9 on the Beyond recently.  If my memory is right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LuckyStar said:

....  There are plenty of viewing areas on this ship....  We had no choice but the 6:00 dining time, so we missed the 7:00 show ..........why can't shows start at 7:30?........  

We bring small bottles to add to OJ at breakfast, vodka and rum to add to free lemonade......

..... I didn't get to pick my embarkation time, it was assigned, and I showed up just after 11 which was a big mistake.  I will happily arrive later.........

If I have left something out, please feel free to ask.  I give this cruise a 5 out of 5 stars.

My wife and I signed up for the Summit to Alaska for next year--- sister ship to Millenium. First time doing a Celebrity cruise. Wondering if you could post a copy of one of the daily "Celebrity Today" newsletters.

Did you have a favorite scenic viewing area on ship?

We just got off the Sapphire Princess and show times were 7:30 pm and 9:30 pm. 45 minutes long.

Why did you have no choice but  6 pm dining?

Nice that you were able to bring some alcohol onboard. Princess allowed only a 750ml bottle of wine per passenger at embarkation.

We were able to pick our embarkation boarding time.

On formal night, did many guys wear sport jackets? Several did on the Sapphire.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, travelbuds said:

My wife and I signed up for the Summit to Alaska for next year--- sister ship to Millenium. First time doing a Celebrity cruise. Wondering if you could post a copy of one of the daily "Celebrity Today" newsletters.

Did you have a favorite scenic viewing area on ship?

We just got off the Sapphire Princess and show times were 7:30 pm and 9:30 pm. 45 minutes long.

Why did you have no choice but  6 pm dining?

Nice that you were able to bring some alcohol onboard. Princess allowed only a 750ml bottle of wine per passenger at embarkation.

We were able to pick our embarkation boarding time.

On formal night, did many guys wear sport jackets? Several did on the Sapphire.

Thank you.

I brought home the daily papers,, I'll try to get one scanned it. I brought home so much laundry!

Favorite area for us was Solarium.  Some couches and comfy day beds. 

We got the only time of dining available.  I would have preferred anytime but 6 was a good time, just not for the show starting at 7. Glad to see that other ships are offering 730 and 930. 

Our embarkation times were available at 10, 1030 or 11.  it seemed to be tied to a health check so we thought it was a true appt.  We'll know differently next time. 

We saw all manner of dress on formal night.  My husband wore a nice shirt and dockers but a sport jacket would have worked very well. Jackets were common.  Very few dressed to the nines, which surprised me.  We did see one gentleman in a tux. 

53 minutes ago, LuckyStar said:

We got the only time of dining available.  I would have preferred anytime but 6 was a good time, .........Our embarkation times were available at 10, 1030 or 11......   We did see one gentleman in a tux. 

Thank you for your reply. More questions if I may. Looking at the Celebrity app, I didn't see anything about table size for a choice. Are there tables for two? Made reservations for times, but no mention of table size. Looks like different opening dinner times for decks 4 and 5 of restaurant. Disregarding times, did you prefer one deck over the other? Were you able to order a couple entrees, desserts for a meal? We saw maybe 3 guys with a tux and several with jackets on the Sapphire.Thanks again.

10 hours ago, travelbuds said:

Thank you for your reply. More questions if I may. Looking at the Celebrity app, I didn't see anything about table size for a choice. Are there tables for two? Made reservations for times, but no mention of table size. Looks like different opening dinner times for decks 4 and 5 of restaurant. Disregarding times, did you prefer one deck over the other? Were you able to order a couple entrees, desserts for a meal? We saw maybe 3 guys with a tux and several with jackets on the Sapphire.Thanks again.

Yes, there were plenty of tables for two.  We were assigned a table for two, the same table every night.  

12 hours ago, LuckyStar said:

We got the only time of dining available.  I would have preferred anytime but 6 was a good time, just not for the show starting at 7. Glad to see that other ships are offering 730 and 930. 

Thank you for posting your first Celebrity experience. I'm glad you enjoyed it. 

Celebrity's early seating time for the main dining room is always around 6pm. I think I've seen 5:45p and 6:15p on occasion though. 

IMG_6765.thumb.jpeg.c2c80c53b49c9ec6eacbe6960e058425.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

17 hours ago, travelbuds said:

Celebrity does not allow liquor to be brought on board.  The OP apparently got lucky and it when unnoticed and was’t confiscated.

22 hours ago, LuckyStar said:

We bring small bottles to add to OJ at breakfast, vodka and rum to add to free lemonade, fruit punch, apple juice and some days, free Passion Orange Guava (POG).

Glad this worked out for you and you got lucky, but you should know for future celebrity cruises that they do not allow you to bring alcohol other than wine onto the ship. If found, they will confiscate it