Priority Check in - Seattle

lennythenose

I just saw today that the Carnival website now stated that even Priority guests must arrive during their selected Arrival time. I’m not sure how long it has stated this but I know it has been the practice that Diamonds, Platinums, etc four arrive anytime.  The person who shared the info said some ports are enforcing the policy while others are not yet. 

Does anyone know if Seattle is enforcing this policy?  We have Platinum travel companions who have a 12:30 Arrival time but had thought they could go with us at 10:30?  @Ferry Watcher?

Edited by lennythenose

6 minutes ago, Cruising_Addict said:

Hasn’t it been like this at all ports for awhile now? I’m pretty sure it’s why Diamonds, Platinums and Suites get to check in online 48 hours before everyone else. To give them a chance to get the early spots. 

I know it was like this after restart so they started the 2 day early checkin. But a few months ago (don’t remember when) they announced that Priority boarding was back like before shutdown. Still had 2 days early to check in and had to choose a time but could come whenever you wanted to. 

Apparently I was wrong. Everything I’ve found says when iPriority boarding was reinstated last November it was a Priority line for check in but times were still going to be enforced. My last cruise was in October so hadn’t really paid attention. I do think I’ve read about some ports not following this policy but I won’t count on it anywhere. 

17 hours ago, lennythenose said:

Does anyone know if Seattle is enforcing this policy?  We have Platinum travel companions who have a 12:30 Arrival time but had thought they could go with us at 10:30?  @Ferry Watcher?

Generally speaking, passengers begin their embark procedure once they arrive at Pier 91, regardless of Arrival Time.  On most of the Carnival cruise days, the embark staff can keep up with the flow of passengers and there usually isn't any lines.  There have been other (very few) days when there has been a computer/wifi problems and we have had very long lines, or sometimes multiple airport transfers arrive at the same time, and lines form to accommodate the sudden rush of passengers.  Although the majority of the Carnival days have been line free - at least outside the terminal building.

Hopefully you will be sailing on a typical day, and you and your friends be able to walk directly into the terminal building after presenting your boarding pass.

Ship Boarding Group times (as oppose to Arrival Times), are followed, until "Open Boarding" is declared in the early afternoon.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2023 at 9:33 PM, lennythenose said:

Apparently I was wrong. Everything I’ve found says when iPriority boarding was reinstated last November it was a Priority line for check in but times were still going to be enforced. My last cruise was in October so hadn’t really paid attention. I do think I’ve read about some ports not following this policy but I won’t count on it anywhere. 

It happened in Galveston and Priority Guests where sent to the back of the line, this has been discussed by John Heald Carnivals Ambassador and he stated that education was going to be given to the port employees. If you have Priority Boarding you can go whatever time you choose and do not have to follow the boarding time on your pass. I can tell you that with Seattle,  well they only had one line to get in and no priority signs and this was all three times we have been.  

At least in Seattle, all Carnival passengers will queue up outside the terminal building near the luggage drop-off collection site.  At this point all passengers have been asked to have their printed boarding passes in hand - expect to be asked about having your paper boarding pass at least 3 times..  If a passengers does not have a paper boarding pass, one can be printed, but passengers who have the printed boarding pass will move ahead in line - so best to arrive with a printed boarding pass.

***Remember - Seattle does not use/accept Carnival Digital Boarding Passes - it must be Paper***

Outside the terminal doors, pier side staff will be looking at the paper boarding passes and Priority passengers will be directed to one particular entrance, and passengers without the priority designation on their paper boarding pass will be directed to another entrance.

Seattle has generally avoided having lines outside the building, mostly due to an excellent team of tablet check-in agents.  We did have long lines on a handful of cruise days at the beginning of the season, and a couple of times since when check-in system communications broke down between the terminal and the ship.  Ironically, the day with the longest line, the ship ended up sailing 4 minutes early.

Seattle does adhere to the Boarding Times assignments, until such time that Open Boarding is declared.

As with all cruise lines - the check-in process is most enjoyable if everyone does their online check-in  completely (including listing their emergency contact phone #, and registering a credit card for on board purchases).  The more prepared passengers are, and if the systems is running normally, the check-in process can be quick and streamlined, and passengers can start boarding the ship mid/late morning.

• Like 1