Best ideas for a family celebration - Horizon

Jfultz81

We are taking a family cruise in October on the Horizon.  There are 10 of us in total (7 adults, 1 just turned 18 kid, 2 younger kids) and we have some big things to celebrate on this cruise - a 1 year wedding anniversary, a 1 year organ transplant anniversary, and an 18th birthday.  Most of my family has never been on a cruise and it's been several years since DH and I have been.  What are some great ideas for a family celebration on the Horizon?  DH and I are doing Chef's Table, but no one else is interested.  We have a lot of picky eaters (more like not adventurous eaters) so a fancy dinner may not work, but we do have a lot of steak lovers.  DH and I would be paying, so we don't want anything too costly (we're already paying for 1 family member's cruise and have purchased several other things for the others).  Any unique or exciting things to do?  We all have balcony cabins.

30 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

What ports? A private tour might be fun. 

We are doing Aruba, Curacao, La Romana, and Amber Cove - we've actually booked private tours in all but Curacao already.  

Bonsai Teppanaki is on Horizon and if it's anything like the one on MG, it's tasty and very festive!  We sang along with our chef (ok, I was the loudest) and our chef was entertaining as well as a talented chef.

You could have everyone's rooms decorated upon embarkation for celebrating.

Get a great pic of everyone through Carnival and purchase a copy for each family.  Maybe plan a color that everyone will wear for the pic.

After the cruise, select your favorite pics (make sure you get some of everyone and/or have them text you their favorite pics.  Have a book made through a company like Shutterfly and then order a book for each family commemorating your special cruise.

Hope that helps!  Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Get a great pic of everyone through Carnival and purchase a copy for each family.  Maybe plan a color that everyone will wear for the pic.

It says on the pixels page that groups are limited to under 10 people. Is this enforced?  OP has 10 people.  

Dreams studio is an option, but that is expensive.

14 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

It says on the pixels page that groups are limited to under 10 people. Is this enforced?  OP has 10 people.  

Dreams studio is an option, but that is expensive.

Well that is something I didn't know (amongst other things) and I think that's weird.  We did Dreams Studio, awesome pics but yeah, it can be pricey.  They wanted over $1,000 for all the pics and a CD with the pics on it.  I said I only wanted 6 pics and they finally came down to I think $200.  

Oh well, they could have a wandering person (like me, I've done it a couple times) take their pic on a staircase with someone's phone.  I would still try to coordinate color of clothes, makes for a more professional look.

9 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

i would suggest taking a look at the italian restaurant.  less expensive than steakhouse and MOST kids of all ages tend to like spaghetti.  maybe not.  

That's a good option, plus I think there is a kid's menu at C del C as well so even more savings👍

21 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Well that is something I didn't know (amongst other things) and I think that's weird.  We did Dreams Studio, awesome pics but yeah, it can be pricey.  They wanted over $1,000 for all the pics and a CD with the pics on it.  I said I only wanted 6 pics and they finally came down to I think $200.  

Oh well, they could have a wandering person (like me, I've done it a couple times) take their pic on a staircase with someone's phone.  I would still try to coordinate color of clothes, makes for a more professional look.

$1,000 for pictures???  Does Carnival not do the pictures with a background during formal nights anymore (or other random nights)?  It's been awhile since we've cruised, but I was hoping I could get a good group picture of us but I'm definitely not paying a lot for it (my aunt is a semi-professional photographer so we have a LOT of family photos already).

I'll have to look at Bonsai and C del C menus - I know my family seems to like teppanyaki (we aren't fans, but we do love sushi)!  

I like the idea of a Shutterfly book too!  I'll have to look into room decorations as well.  Thanks for the great ideas!

12 minutes ago, Jfultz81 said:

$1,000 for pictures???  Does Carnival not do the pictures with a background during formal nights anymore (or other random nights)?  It's been awhile since we've cruised, but I was hoping I could get a good group picture of us but I'm definitely not paying a lot for it (my aunt is a semi-professional photographer so we have a LOT of family photos already).

I'll have to look at Bonsai and C del C menus - I know my family seems to like teppanyaki (we aren't fans, but we do love sushi)!  

I like the idea of a Shutterfly book too!  I'll have to look into room decorations as well.  Thanks for the great ideas!

Yes, they do the regular pics with the sparkly background (or picture of a ship😁) that you can buy for I think $22 for an 8X10.  Earlier in this thread, we were discussing the possibility of a Carnival photographer not allowed 🤷‍♀️to photograph a party of ten.  I think I've seen a party of ten photographed but I'm not sure.  Dreams Studios is more like a professional photo shoot without the pulldown backgrounds (at least in our case that's what happened) and the pics were great!  Not a $1,000 great but much better than most regular in-the-hall pics with a dropped background.

I'm glad you liked my ideas!!  Hope your cruise is great!!

Edited by ninjacat123

25 minutes ago, Jfultz81 said:

Dreams Studio is a professional photographer, and much better quality.

We purchased a wedding package on a ship, and part of the package was a photographer.  I was like, yeah, whatever, if it's those ship photographers, hard pass, I won't be purchasing those.  I mean, they are fun and all, but not really good photos, I wouldn't pay for them.  I mean, not more that the $25 or whatever the print costs.  We even declined most of the "photo-ops" because we didn't think we'd be buying any.

We actually got a Dreams photographer, and I must say, we were quite impressed with the photos, way better than expected.  We regretted passing on more of the photo-ops.  We did end up purchasing some, but stupid expensive.  $1500 for a really nice book, 2 acrylics, and a thumb drive of all the photos.  That was the "deal" price.  We declined the first offer of $2500 and then they tell you what they "can do for you" and give you a better price.

As mentioned above

-Custom door decorations. 

-A custom banner to hold while taking pictures. Could be group or unique to the different celebrations. 

-matching t shirts

-A tripod to hold camera/phone to set timer to have your own group photo.

-As mentioned, private van/bus to tour together. Look under specific ports of call to get ideas of non carnival offerings.

-custom beach towels printed to match. 

-we have ordered cake toppers and just had the wait staff add those to a pre-ordered cake and those could be over different days to celebrate each event seperately.

I am certain whatever you decide, it will be amazing. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

Dreams Studio is a professional photographer, and much better quality.

We purchased a wedding package on a ship, and part of the package was a photographer.  I was like, yeah, whatever, if it's those ship photographers, hard pass, I won't be purchasing those.  I mean, they are fun and all, but not really good photos, I wouldn't pay for them.  I mean, not more that the $25 or whatever the print costs.  We even declined most of the "photo-ops" because we didn't think we'd be buying any.

We actually got a Dreams photographer, and I must say, we were quite impressed with the photos, way better than expected.  We regretted passing on more of the photo-ops.  We did end up purchasing some, but stupid expensive.  $1500 for a really nice book, 2 acrylics, and a thumb drive of all the photos.  That was the "deal" price.  We declined the first offer of $2500 and then they tell you what they "can do for you" and give you a better price.

Our Dream Studio session was probably 6 or 7 years ago and we got the "deal" then a better offer, then "okay, 6 pics for like $200" (insert photographer sad face) and we were done.  Never regretted that photo session.  Great pics!

Edited by ninjacat123

Oh, I forgot that DH and I were on a cruise and had a pic done at a In-the-hall photographer and then like a person selling watches out of a coat, this other photographer sidles up to us and says "want to do a private photo session?"  They had a camera and a Carnival badge so I knew they were legit🤣.  I said we only have 30 minutes till our dinner and they said "follow me".  We went downstairs to a secret (secret to me) room all set up with camera lighting.  Did about 20 pics and then said we would come back after dinner.  After dinner we went back and the pics were in black & white (we requested that) and they were great.  Of course the "deal", then a better offer then "okay, 3 pics for $200 (insert another sad photographer face) and I have those 3 pics framed above our bed at home.  Love them!!

5 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Oh, I forgot that DH and I were on a cruise and had a pic done at a In-the-hall photographer and then like a person selling watches out of a coat, this other photographer sidles up to us and says "want to do a private photo session?"  They had a camera and a Carnival badge so I knew they were legit🤣.  I said we only have 30 minutes till our dinner and they said "follow me".  We went downstairs to a secret (secret to me) room all set up with camera lighting.  Did about 20 pics and then said we would come back after dinner.  After dinner we went back and the pics were in black & white (we requested that) and they were great.  Of course the "deal", then a better offer then "okay, 3 pics for $200 (insert another sad photographer face) and I have those 3 pics framed above our bed at home.  Love them!!

That's hilarious!  I guess I'll keep an eye out for any photographers that might be looking for a side gig.  Because my aunt takes so many photos, it's hard to get the family enthused about getting any done, so we'll see what happens.  

• Like 1