Switching Wifi to another device

miched

I have read that the plan is per device and you can’t switch to another.   ]Can you use the one device as a hot spot to connect to another?  

Thanks 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I tried last week on seascape.  Unsuccessfully. When i connected my Mac to my iPhone hotspot, it dropped my wifi connection with the ship.  When i disconnected the mac, the phone reconnected with the WIFI.  Could have been something i was doing wrong, but i couldnt get it to work.

20165 thanks you for response.

I have read that some providers can block hot spots and/or charge extra.   I also read that it is illegal in the USA to block it after doing a google about using a device as a hot spot. 

I doubt that the ship is subject to those rules and may be able to block it 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

6 minutes ago, miched said:

20165 thanks you for response.

I have read that some providers can block hot spots and/or charge extra.   I also read that it is illegal in the USA to block it after doing a google about using a device as a hot spot. 

I doubt that the ship is subject to those rules and may be able to block it 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

It really didnt block the hotspot but rather dropped me off the ships wifi when i connected the mac to the iphone.  i tried several times, but ever time it dropped my wifi connection.  Again, could have very well been user error and i didnt mess with it much other than trying a couple of times

My recollection from a couple years ago is that on MSC you could use more than one device, just not at the same time. I can recall having my laptop hooked-up in the room but when I went on deck or about the ship at night, I could connect on my phone and it would disconnect me from the laptop.

But on my most recent MSC cruise, I again chose the 1-device option on my laptop and it would not let me later connect via my phone without upgrading to a 2-device plan.

4 hours ago, 20165 said:

It really didnt block the hotspot but rather dropped me off the ships wifi when i connected the mac to the iphone.  i tried several times, but ever time it dropped my wifi connection.  Again, could have very well been user error and i didnt mess with it much other than trying a couple of times

This is normal for iPhone, you can't share a WiFi connection over WiFi, you can share a cellular connection over WiFi...

4 hours ago, Mark_T said:

This is normal for iPhone, you can't share a WiFi connection over WiFi, you can share a cellular connection over WiFi...

Thanks for the clarification.  This now makes sense.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Using the hotspot to share WifI does work on Android, at least some models. My husband's Pixel 3a allowed it when we were last on MSC (2021 so caveat for "things may have changed") so I presume it's the device that determines that limitation and not something MSC does.

3 hours ago, bundtkate said:

... so I presume it's the device that determines that limitation and not something MSC does.

Yes, this isn't something MSC can control as the ability to do this is down to the hardware and OS on the phone.