Alcoholic drinks when dining

Peter Lanky

18 minutes ago, Robson1 said:

For their websites and TAs that is the preferred option. It wouldn't affect US customers or TAs. Other lines that still have gratuities as a separate service charge have region-specific websites that conform to international norms and local advertising laws. I think it is more of an annoyance for the non-Americans to see a listed price then have to go through multiple steps of a dummy booking to get to the end and see the 'real' price with tax, then also manually calculate the gratuities. 

Thanks for the clarification about non US websites/customers.....my bad for forgetting that other countries have vastly different norms and advertising laws.

53 minutes ago, Robson1 said:

For their websites and TAs that is the preferred option. It wouldn't affect US customers or TAs. Other lines that still have gratuities as a separate service charge have region-specific websites that conform to international norms and local advertising laws. I think it is more of an annoyance for the non-Americans to see a listed price then have to go through multiple steps of a dummy booking to get to the end and see the 'real' price with tax, then also manually calculate the gratuities. 

I would think  (have no idea though)  that Countries that have gratuities included  it would  show the bottom line on the  local websites

Maybe someone in the UK or Australia  can comment on what pricing model they see on the cruise line website

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I would think  (have no idea though)  that Countries that have gratuities included  it would  show the bottom line on the  local websites

Maybe someone in the UK or Australia  can comment on what pricing model they see on the cruise line website

No. The concept of gratuities as a separate item is totally alien to the majority of us, in a similar way that we would not expect to see fuel costs or laundry costs. We simply see the cost of a cruise as 'the cost of a cruise', and separation of any element from the total price is not of interest.

6 minutes ago, Peter Lanky said:

No. The concept of gratuities as a separate item is totally alien to the majority of us, in a similar way that we would not expect to see fuel costs or laundry costs. We simply see the cost of a cruise as 'the cost of a cruise', and separation of any element from the total price is not of interest.

So when you look at the cruise line UK websites   it does not included  gratuities?

I believe lines home porting in the UK  have the gratuities included in the bottom line  is that correct?

but not included in lines home porting in other Countries?

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

So when you look at the cruise line UK websites   it does not included  gratuities?

I believe lines home porting in the UK  have the gratuities included in the bottom line  is that correct?

but not included in lines home porting in other Countries?

It depends on which websites. As I said Silversea, Seabourn, Regent, Azamara and some lower prestige one have what we would class as 'the correct price' for the cruise, and the only mention of gratuities is that we don't pay any. Oceania however doesn't yet do this, so we can't compare value for money of the cruise as we have to do an additional calculation for what we will have to pay later.

I can't comment on home porting as 95% of cruises start at Southampton, which is more difficult to get to from where I live than flying abroad, so I have never considered them.

1 minute ago, Peter Lanky said:

It depends on which websites. As I said Silversea, Seabourn, Regent, Azamara and some lower prestige one have what we would class as 'the correct price' for the cruise, and the only mention of gratuities is that we don't pay any.

Yes I believe all those include gratuities in their pricing 

I suppose you could  as your booking person to add the gratuties to the pricing for O  then you could have a better idea of how they compare to the Luxury lines

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yes I believe all those include gratuities in their pricing 

I suppose you could  as your booking person to add the gratuties to the pricing for O  then you could have a better idea of how they compare to the Luxury lines

I can just as easily do that myself, but back to my original comment, wouldn't it just be so much easier to include it in the brochure price and remove it from the equation? There seems no benefit from not doing this, hence my comment that we could then put it to bed forever.

It's a bit like the tax that is added at the till in shops in some countries. Everyone has to pay it seeing as it's not optional, so better for it to be advertised at the 'product + tax' price.

22 minutes ago, Peter Lanky said:

I can just as easily do that myself, but back to my original comment, wouldn't it just be so much easier to include it in the brochure price and remove it from the equation? There seems no benefit from not doing this, hence my comment that we could then put it to bed forever.

It's a bit like the tax that is added at the till in shops in some countries. Everyone has to pay it seeing as it's not optional, so better for it to be advertised at the 'product + tax' price.

Here the tax  has to be shown as a separate  line on the bill

It is called  Regional Differences

YMMV

Enjoy the weekend

48 minutes ago, Peter Lanky said:

Problem with this, is all of those with Silver and above loyalty have pre-paid gratuities included and many US TA's give pre-paid gratuities as a perk.   Thus,  those people would need to figure out the cost of the "included in the price gratuities" and subtract from price. Problem for people either way with the brochure price ...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, basor said:

Problem with this, is all of those with Silver and above loyalty have pre-paid gratuities included and many US TA's give pre-paid gratuities as a perk.   Thus,  those people would need to figure out the cost of the "included in the price gratuities" and subtract from price. Problem for people either way with the brochure price ...

I would  bet if  gratuities were to be added to the cruise fare  the PPG perk for O club would disappear

JMO

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, basor said:

Not really a problem. Lets just say that the concept of gratuities just doesn't exist. The TAs would come up with another scheme to entice/cajole/reward regular customers. There is lots of potential for discounts, upgrades, drinks packages, and so on. The fact that so many cruise lines are moving to all inclusive pricing must suggest that it has it's merits.

Imagine buying a car, but the wheels are not included in the brochure price 😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Lanky said:

Not really a problem. Lets just say that the concept of gratuities just doesn't exist. The TAs would come up with another scheme to entice/cajole/reward regular customers. There is lots of potential for discounts, upgrades, drinks packages, and so on. The fact that so many cruise lines are moving to all inclusive pricing must suggest that it has it's merits.

Imagine buying a car, but the wheels are not included in the brochure price 😉

About 40 years ago, I was watching a commercial on TV (after Thanksgiving dinner) for a Jeep. I thought I wanted one. Arrived at the dealership on Friday. The price was incredibly reasonable. They he asked if I wanted a passenger seat, a back seat, a step, soft or hard top. When I asked for air-conditioning, was told that I would not only need the bigger engine, but also an automatic transmission. The "options" basically doubled the price; however, I loved my Jeep for many years. I think the wheels were included, perhaps choices of tires! 🙂

• Haha 3

On 6/30/2023 at 2:19 PM, SATaxman said:

About 40 years ago, I was watching a commercial on TV (after Thanksgiving dinner) for a Jeep. I thought I wanted one. Arrived at the dealership on Friday. The price was incredibly reasonable. They he asked if I wanted a passenger seat, a back seat, a step, soft or hard top. When I asked for air-conditioning, was told that I would not only need the bigger engine, but also an automatic transmission. The "options" basically doubled the price; however, I loved my Jeep for many years. I think the wheels were included, perhaps choices of tires! 🙂

Wow. 🤪 Sounds like our one and only Princess cruise. We had to pay advance for a bottled water package. And then again for lattes. 

Whatever is served at the bar without an upcharge. Meaning, some top shelf expensive drinks are an extra charge even if you have the drinks package. Anything else would be eligible for the 2-for-1 HH.
For a few pennies more than $13, I can get a double vodka cranberry during happy hour.

1 minute ago, PhD-iva said:

Whatever is served at the bar without an upcharge. Meaning, some top shelf expensive drinks are an extra charge even if you have the drinks package. Anything else would be eligible for the 2-for-1 HH.
For a few pennies more than $13, I can get a double vodka cranberry during happy hour.

It looks like the Martini Bar menu lists cocktails, as well as Gin and Vodka Martinis by brand. 

52 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

It looks like the Martini Bar menu lists cocktails, as well as Gin and Vodka Martinis by brand. 

In Martinis, you should look at the regular bar menu, as some special  items on the Martinis bar menu are not cover by 2 4 1

• Like 2

21 hours ago, grifdoglover said:

@SujormikHow is it that they know your room number and drink package?  Maybe after several days they recognize you but they still need you to sign off.  

When you check in at a restaurant they ask your name and room number. I just had wine/beer with meals, didn’t do the bar. The package includes unlimited wine & beer at meals.

@SujormikThat would be the desk person not the waiters.  Right now some people went for the simply more included beverages but some have not…In a perfect world we all get to drink everything everywhere.  Even the premier package doesn’t cover everything.  Those waiters have to swipe cards and the liquor usage is monitored/accounted for especially expensive pours and bottles.

On 6/30/2023 at 5:15 PM, Peter Lanky said:

We've mainly cruised with Windstar and Oceania, so I've been used to paying gratuities, but friends of ours on their first cruise got a real shock when they found they had to pay them.

2 hours ago, SellaVee said:

got a real shock when they found they had to pay them.

I'm not really fussed whether gratuities are built into the price or not. O makes it clear in the T & Cs that they have to be paid. It's really no different than looking at a restaurant menu in the UK and seeing they add a discretionary service charge (in place of old fashioned cash tipping). In both cases, you know you are going to be asked to pay £X + £Y. That said, it's obviously more transparent if tips are included

in the main price.

A question for my fellow Britons, though. Do you find any UK travel agents likely to offer pre-paid gratuities as a perk, as often mentioned by North Americans? My guess is not and that the UK travel agent industry is different from the American one in this sort of respect but I'd be interested in confirmation (or not).

Edited by Harters

53 minutes ago, Harters said:

I'm not really fussed whether gratuities are built into the price or not. O makes it clear in the T & Cs that they have to be paid. It's really no different than looking at a restaurant menu in the UK and seeing they add a discretionary service charge (in place of old fashioned cash tipping). In both cases, you know you are going to be asked to pay £X + £Y. That said, it's obviously more transparent if tips are included

in the main price.

A question for my fellow Britons, though. Do you find any UK travel agents likely to offer pre-paid gratuities as a perk, as often mentioned by North Americans? My guess is not and that the UK travel agent industry is different from the American one in this sort of respect but I'd be interested in confirmation (or not).

This couple weren't on Oceania, and had never cruised before, so not very cruise savvy.  I've gotten used to paying gratuities and it saves running around with envelopes at the end.

I have never been offered free gratuities by a travel agent, though I did once get them as a perk from Oceania.  Nor have I ever been offered a rebate, but I do shop around and try to get a discount.  I like to get more than one quote, from both online and high street.

I don't think there are many high selling Oceania agents in the UK, compared to the US simply because the market is so much smaller.  Agents get more commission back from O depending on how much they sell.