Trip Cancellation and Medical Insurance

ginadis2002

We are first time cruisers on Silversea. We’ve never purchased insurance before but age now dictates that we should. We are thinking about using Allianz either through our travel agent or the cruise line to meet our needs. I’ve read other threads about insurance but am uneasy about agencies I haven’t heard of. Any guidance you may have would be appreciated.

Most big name insurance are pretty good.  However for pre existing conditions make sure you follow the rules when you purchase.  Also keep current all records.  If you have to use your insurance don’t use US Mail to file claims as it slows every thing down.  E-mail everything or fax it and keep a record.  

Be sure to think through what your priorities are for the insurance coverage (cancellation? medical? missed flights?) and read the details regarding coverage for the policies you are looking at. 

I used to prioritize coverage if I needed to cancel due to an elderly parent or for work reasons (as well as medical evac.).  Those are no longer concerns, but this year based on the timing of my cruise and departure port in Europe, I had concerns about potential need to cancel if a hurricane was headed toward Florida or if my senior pet became ill, so found a policy that would allow cancellation for those specific issues.  

• Like 1

I have had very good experiences with Allianz four times now.  Two were minor medical issues; full refund promptly on filing claim.  One was a total cancellation for medical reasons – full prompt refund.  One was when I left my camera on a tour bus [my fault, but stupidity is apparently covered!] – full prompt refund [camera finally found and returned four months later, so I gave the money back].  

I usually buy the Journey policy through my TA – this includes existing conditions coverage even if purchased at Final Payment, but we usually buy minimal coverage as soon as we pay a deposit and then increase coverage as we incur non-refundable expenses.

For our upcoming Silversea cruise our advancing age made the Journey policy very pricey [12%] so I followed the link from the Silversea website to the Allianz website and bought their Expedition Plan.  The coverage is not quite as generous as the Journey Plan [but still very good IMO], but it costs a flat 10% regardless of age.  Note that it does not include cruise line default coverage [if Silversea goes bankrupt the world will be ending, but for other suppliers I would think twice before taking this risk]

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for all for your opinions. Although it is more pricey, I think we may go through the travel agent using the Allianz Journey policy. I did call the Trip Insurance Store and felt that the service was good. However, I’m a total novice at buying insurance. Strange how illness, advancing age, and Covid has changed my outlook and needs. Again, thank you. 

Edited by ginadis2002

One thing that is not often discussed is: do you really need more than medical and evacuation insurance? Getting sick on a cruise and needing to be hospitalized in a foreign land can be hugely expensive (especially if you have to be airlifted). Coverage for this is essential in my view. However, before you buy a package policy that covers cancellation, delay, luggage, etc. ask yourself if you could not afford the loss incurred for even the full loss of your cruise. Sure it would hurt; but for some it would not be a financial disaster.

The cost differential between "full coverage" (often 10% or more of your total trip cost) and coverage for just medical and emergency evacuation is huge. Allianz offers this coverage. Check it out and do the math. If you cruise several times a year, you might also look at an annual policy that covers the medical and evacuation risk for all your travel over a 12 month period.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

One thing that is not often discussed is: do you really need more than medical and evacuation insurance? Getting sick on a cruise and needing to be hospitalized in a foreign land can be hugely expensive (especially if you have to be airlifted). Coverage for this is essential in my view. However, before you buy a package policy that covers cancellation, delay, luggage, etc. ask yourself if you could not afford the loss incurred for even the full loss of your cruise. Sure it would hurt; but for some it would not be a financial disaster.

The cost differential between "full coverage" (often 10% or more of your total trip cost) and coverage for just medical and emergency evacuation is huge. Allianz offers this coverage. Check it out and do the math. If you cruise several times a year, you might also look at an annual policy that covers the medical and evacuation risk for all your travel over a 12 month period.

Three points:  (1) as we age, the chances of having a medical issue that requires cancellation gets much higher [our one cancellation was six years ago, when we were younger than now – and it paid back all the premiums we have paid up to that point]; (2) annual policies have very low ceilings – basically if you use the policy on one trip you have used up your coverage for the rest of the year; and (3) some states have restrictions on what travel insurance can be sold to their residents – especially New York:

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/How-State-Regulations-Impact-What-Travel-Insurance-Can-Be-Purchased 

If you are under 75, I highly recommend getting MedJet evacuation insurance on top of whatever travel insurance you decide on.  It's very reasonable and provides a level of control over evacuation that none of the other policies gives.  [If you buy it through AARP it's even cheaper!]

• Like 4

Just now, Host Jazzbeau said:

If you are under 75, I highly recommend getting MedJet evacuation insurance on top of whatever travel insurance you decide on.  It's very reasonable and provides a level of control over evacuation that none of the other policies gives.  [If you buy it through AARP it's even cheaper!]

Ditto on Medjet. With everything going on in the world we've stepped up to the Horizon plan. I'm amazed at how reasonable it is, and how useful it can be domestically. You can also purchase through some TA's. Convient if you have a good TA who can help navigate their system should anything happen.

Edited by highplanesdrifters

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Three points:  (1) as we age, the chances of having a medical issue that requires cancellation gets much higher [our one cancellation was six years ago, when we were younger than now – and it paid back all the premiums we have paid up to that point]; (2) annual policies have very low ceilings – basically if you use the policy on one trip you have used up your coverage for the rest of the year; and (3) some states have restrictions on what travel insurance can be sold to their residents – especially New York:

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/How-State-Regulations-Impact-What-Travel-Insurance-Can-Be-Purchased 

Responses:

1. Agree. I am not saying that cancellation insurance is not needed. Just that for some the loss from cancellation is not a major financial catastrophe and may not be worth the high cost of insuring against it.

2. Your "low ceiling and one trip coverage" statement is not true. My annual policy has coverage of $500,000 for emergency transportation and $50,000 for medical/dental coverage. The coverage is good for each individual trip taken during the year coverage. But even if it wasn't, what are the chances of needing to be evacuated more than once in a year of travelling?

The cost of my annual plan, purchased in April this year is only $420. And it still has token coverage ($2,000) for cancellation, delay, baggage, etc.

I tend to travel in higher end suites, so the cost of full insurance coverage runs in the thousands of dollars per trip. So I feel I am saving big time for a defined risk (cost of the trip if cancelled). 

The decision clearly is a personal one that depends on a traveller's financial situation and level of risk they are willing to take. BUT THE MEDICAL COVERAGE IS A MUST.

• Like 1

Was just quoted $5702 (for 2) from Allianz for our SS cruise this Fall, will accept contract up to final payment date.  Need to see what that covers, though pre-existing (which neither of us have at present) seems to be included.

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Was just quoted $5702 (for 2) from Allianz for our SS cruise this Fall, will accept contract up to final payment date.  Need to see what that covers, though pre-existing (which neither of us have at present) seems to be included.

How much is that as a percentage of your total trip cost?

2 hours ago, canderson said:

About 20%.

Did you look at the Allianz Expedition Plan that they sell as a click-through from the Silversea website?  It's a flat 10% but it may lack some coverage you want [e.g. it does not cover provider insolvency] 

If you have (and pd for you cruise with) a premium CC, the trip cancellation/interruption/medical/lost bag insurance is pretty good. I use Chase Sapphire Reserve or Amex Hilton Aspire.

Edited by frankhi

16 minutes ago, frankhi said:

If you have (and pd for you cruise with) a premium CC, the trip cancellation/interruption/medical/lost bag insurance is pretty good. I use Chase Sapphire Reserve or Amex Hilton Aspire.

Isn't there a limit of $10,000.00 coverage?