Boston Cruise port walkability?

neeuqdrazil

I'll be staying at the Seaport Yotel this September prior to a Boston-Quebec City HAL cruise. Based on Google Maps, I see that the cruise port is about a 20 minute walk from the hotel, but I'm not sure how actually walkable this area is? I'm a transit user/walker at home, and my luggage will be walking-friendly, so the luggage isn't the issue. It's more - are there sidewalks to walk on, street crossing lights, etc? A lot of places I've been to in the States have been very walking-unfriendly - I still remember a colleague offering to come and pick me up from my hotel to take me to the office during a work trip - it was raining a bit, but the trip was MAYBE 150m from door to door. 

29 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I'll be staying at the Seaport Yotel this September prior to a Boston-Quebec City HAL cruise. Based on Google Maps, I see that the cruise port is about a 20 minute walk from the hotel, but I'm not sure how actually walkable this area is? I'm a transit user/walker at home, and my luggage will be walking-friendly, so the luggage isn't the issue. It's more - are there sidewalks to walk on, street crossing lights, etc? 

On a port call in Boston last year I found the area pedestrian friendly with sidewalks, crosswalks and traffic lights. Public bus stop in immediate cruise port area and another a short walk away on a main street.

Edited by meadowlander
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

A lot of places I've been to in the States have been very walking-unfriendly - I still remember a colleague offering to come and pick me up from my hotel to take me to the office during a work trip - it was raining a bit, but the trip was MAYBE 150m from door to door. 

Generally, older large American cities, particularly in the eastern part of the country, are very much walkable. Even western cities can be walkable if you're in the city centre. The walking problems are most severe in suburban areas. New Jersey can be particularly challenging because of its many older highways built to narrow lane standards, sometimes with not practicable room for walking. But other states also have that problem, including places such as Florida, and sometimes around port areas.

19 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Plenty of sidewalks and crosswalks and shops and restaurants.  Tons of construction in that area, it changes dramatically from season to season, but the walkability has always been good

There is a ton of construction, particularly in the mid-part of the walk from the Yotel and the cruiseport. If you have the time and inclination, I'd recommend exploring a bit the night before, as I personally find backtracking with suitcases to be kind of annoying. Also, I like walking around the Seaport as a general point - I lived and worked in that neighborhood for six years.

• Like 3

Our Fall NE/C cruises stopped in Boston last September, the port is in a somewhat industrial waterfront, taxis & Uber are hard to come by at times when bigger ships are there.  Take a 5 to 10 minutes leisure walk and you can get the local bus, just a few stops to Union Station's underground train hub/complex, where you can connect and/or come upstairs, walk & sightsee ... historic old Chinatown and the renewed harbour/waterfront, etc. are all within easy distance - walk or otherwise.  

The bus accept coins & dollar bills (exact change or round up, no refund for excess paid) upon boarding at the fare box - runs on schedule and helpful drivers if you need directions on where to transfer.  On our return to the ship, we just hail a taxi, inexpensive ride back to the cruise terminal.  

P.S.  Lobster place is just a short walk from the pier - Google or Siri for directions on how to walk.  

56 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

just a few stops to Union Station's underground train hub/complex, where you can connect and/or come upstairs, walk & sightsee ... historic old Chinatown and the renewed harbour/waterfront, etc. are all within easy distance - walk or otherwise.  

It sort of sounds like you’re describing Washington DC and not Boston. Boston doesn’t have a Union Station and Bostons Chinatown is a bit run down where DCs is a bit more vibrant. 

• Like 1