What constitutes a large group for potential booking discount?

Chris_Texas

Good evening all-

We did our first river cruise back in 2022 (Emerald Waterways on the Rhine).  We are contemplating our second - a Christmas markets cruise along the Danube in December 2025.  We have been planting the seed with our extended friend group and, while it's early, I can easily envision that we could get 12-15 couple interested in going.  My questions are 1) how many couples would it likely take for us to begin to negotiate any discounts 2) any general ideas of how much those discounts might be and 3) are there any river cruise lines that are more (or less) likely to give discounts?

Not that the discount will be the deciding factor by any means, but it would certainly factor it.

Thanks!

Chris

We book with Avalon. As few as 4 cabins = a group! We have 8 cabins (16 people) sailing with us in August on the Expression. We request our TA to distribute the savings equally post-cruise regardless of cabin type booked. 7 cabins are in the "basement" but the 8th is the Royal Suite. The rebate is a percentage of grand total for all cabins combined not counting onboard purchases. It worked well on our previous river cruise on the Avalon Illumination vs. having one or two persons cruise gratis. From their website:

No matter the occasion — family reunion, friend’s getaway, club event or church group — Avalon provides a great collection of river and small-ship cruises exclusively for you and your group. So get the gang together to explore Europe, South America, or Asia on an award-winning Avalon river cruise. Our Groups Department can make all the arrangements for the perfect cruise for you and your crew. Get the group together for big fun and bigger savings. Groups with as few as eight can save, while groups up to fifteen can save even more!

Lol @TMLAalum, Canada's Avalon

Small groups with as few as five travelers can save while groups of eight to 15, can save even more!

Mind you, the "groups" button is for 8+, so I guess you would have to call to get the discount or go through your TA.

Edited by Daisi

With 12-15 couples, I would definitely use the services of a TA that specializes in river cruises, and let them negotiate a deal for your group and handle all the bookings. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Roz said:

With 12-15 couples, I would definitely use the services of a TA that specializes in river cruises, and let them negotiate a deal for your group and handle all the bookings. 

Definitely! Each couple in our group dealt with our local TA directly for providing their personal information and payment. A friend and I are "point" people aka group leaders. We chose a name for our group, spread the word on specific cruise and provided a link and told them, if interested, to call the TA, state they were part of the "name" group and book on their own as a member of the "name" group. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roz said:

Definately discuss this with more than one TA. You want to determine what the TA will do for you beyond just booking with and being the group agent with the cruise line. 

This could involve logistical issues such as printing and distributing documents or arranging group transport to the airport if folks live near each other. Or perhaps an extra cruise amenity such as a cocktail hour for the group.