cancelled cruise due bereavement

4 minutes ago, BND said:

No, we booked the cruise over a year ago and decided to go annual policy in Dec.  As I said, those requirements are very difficult to meet with anyone who travels regularly.   What exactly is a pre-existing condition for old age?

Briefly, a pre-existing condition is one that requires treatment or prescription medication regardless of age; and, in the case of Allianz, manifested itself within 120 days prior to the effective date of the policy. Also, the fact that your father is in hospice implies a foreseen event. 

Allianz will make the determination if you file a claim. Just know that neither you, your traveling companions, nor family members have coverage for pre-existing conditions if the cruise was booked before you bought the policy. Only a cruise booked within 14 days of purchase or anytime after that is covered.

• Thanks 1

@BND I'm in a similar situation as you are.  I was told by two different brokers that annual policies wouldn't cover me if I had to cancel due to my MIL's health.  I've bought per trip polices since.  

You might want to give Steve at tripInsurancestore.com a call, he's usually very helpful.  Or talk to folks in the Insurance subforum here at CC (where Steve is a frequent participant).

1 minute ago, PATRLR said:

@BND I'm in a similar situation as you are.  I was told by two different brokers that annual policies wouldn't cover me if I had to cancel due to my MIL's health.  I've bought per trip polices since.  

You might want to give Steve at tripInsurancestore.com a call, he's usually very helpful.  Or talk to folks in the Insurance subforum here at CC (where Steve is a frequent participant).

The pre-existing conditions waiver is a time-sensitive provision. The policy must be purchased within 14-21 days of booking in order to qualify for a waiver.

Some policies allow a waiver if the policy is purchased within 24 hours of final payment. That may be an option for any of @BND’s remaining cruises that have not reached final payment. IMG, Generali, and CSA are companies to consider. Steve may offer additional choices.

• Like 1

Now that I think about it, even policies with a waiver at final payment will not cover a foreseen event so it very much depends on the circumstances at the time of purchase. The other choice is simply to cancel before final payment.

Tough position to be in. 

When my husband passed in 2021, both Princess and RCCL were incredible about refunding all our money paid for upcoming cruises.  Like within 48 hours.

My sincerest condolences to the OP:  it's very, very tough to deal with an immediate family member passing.

Insurance policies refer to the "traveler", but that is synonymous with "insured".  In the case of a family member's death who is not on the travel policy, the benefit that would be paid out is under trip interruption in the OP's case to the covered traveler on the policy.

Edited by pcur

3 hours ago, pcur said:

When my husband passed in 2021, both Princess and RCCL were incredible about refunding all our money paid for upcoming cruises.  Like within 48 hours.

My sincerest condolences to the OP:  it's very, very tough to deal with an immediate family member passing.

Insurance policies refer to the "traveler", but that is synonymous with "insured".  In the case of a family member's death who is not on the travel policy, the benefit that would be paid out is under trip interruption in the OP's case to the covered traveler on the policy.

I am loathe to think how RC would treat you now, with Jason Liberty in charge.  😡

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am loathe to think how RC would treat you now, with Jason Liberty in charge.  😡

I got a full refund earlier today for a cruise that sails in 18 days due a loss of a family member