Things that make me sad about Royal.

On 7/2/2023 at 11:08 AM, Mick B said:

2 things to be aware of here.

A few important differences between Diamond and Diamond plus are...

1 extra free drink.

A bottle of wine or another gift in your room per cruise.

A free wash a fold laundry bag each worth $$$

and...

at the moment on most ships, reserved seating (first come basis) in the theatre, ice arena and ice shows.

Secondly ref MTD. I have found on several cruises that the first sitting is around 1730 and the second is around 2000 and this is based around people going to show.

MTD tends to be around 1845 which means you are stuck with the late show which is OK if you don't have to be up early the following day.

However, I have found that if you go and see the MTD folk on the first day and ask if you can get in earlier, although they will tell you that 1845 is the earliest, the way around it is to tell them that you would be really grateful if they can help you and that you are prepared to sit at any unused table and are not bothered if its a particular waiter or next to friends.

What I have witnessed in the past a few times is people arguing and holding up the queue because they want a particular table such as by a window or the grand stairs and/or they want a particular waiter or to be with another group etc. You may have to wait until 1845 for that, and even then its not guaranteed, but if you are nice to the MTD staff then you should get in around 1820 which means with the new menus designed for 90 minutes you may be out for 1945 and therefore make that early show or whatever. 

And...

If you like the table and staff you can ask the MDR staff if that table is available every night and if so they will book it for you and there you go.

Mick.

And going from 1 24 hour period free wifi to 2 24 hours, for each person who is D+

• Like 1

Hi Yes,

I think the internet thing is one of my wife's favourites as she can keep in contact with the family back home and also use it to check in for flights home etc.

One thing we do seem to have lost since Covid is the free tours of the bridge, kitchen and theatre. These do now pop up, but you have to pay $$$ for them where before they used to be free to Diamond and Diamonds plus members etc.

I also believe the meal after 340 points with an officer at chops grille has been modified. Not got to 340 points yet so not had too much info on this, but I believe it is now a cheers with an officer.

Not a lot really saddens me about the changes, as I knew some would have to come eventually and it could be worse and may be in a few years...

How about in a few years due the amount of diamond members on ships that the diamond lounge is renamed the diamond plus lounge and diamonds are no longer allowed in it and then diamond plus status is moved from 175 to 340 points and anyone below that threashold is downgraded to diamond and not allowed in and then to cap it off, the 4 or 5 drinks at any bar are removed and the happy hour from 5 to 8 in the diamond lounge (sorry diamond plus lounge as it may become) is reinstated with the old limited selection instead of almost any drink at any time in any bar.

Now that would be something to be sad about. Lets hope that scenario doesn't happen, but it would be an easy way for RCL to start clawing back money from us.

Another thought, if this was to become the case and it got leaked out that this would happen by a certain date, how many of you would book loads of cruises in a JS to get double points to make sure you have 340 points in time for such a change?

Mick.

Are their benefits to the various loyalty levels that aren't on the charts?  I just looked at the levels chart on the Royal web site and don't really see any benefit that would get me motivated.  I mean, a free day of internet is not likely to get me to spend the money to upgrade my cabin just to get a few more points.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, travler27 said:

Are their benefits to the various loyalty levels that aren't on the charts?  I just looked at the levels chart on the Royal web site and don't really see any benefit that would get me motivated.  I mean, a free day of internet is not likely to get me to spend the money to upgrade my cabin just to get a few more points.  

Really , thoughts for the majority (myself included ) ,is that the first substantial benefit isn't achieved until Diamond when the free drinks start flowing . If you are a drinker at all , this will really add up to a TRUE financial benefit ! I have never bought the drink package as it is not worth it to me , however I do have a substantial 'bar bill' at the end of each cruise .Diamond gives me nearly $800 off of that bill for a 7 day for 2 of us .

Cheers.....And Cheers again !

• Like 1

Thanks.  I guess everybody is different and has different motivations.  We do drink but if I have 3 in one day I consider it to be a lot. 🙂  At any rate, I just didn't see anything in the loyalty level chart that really rang my bell and was wondering if there were other benefits.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, travler27 said:

Thanks.  I guess everybody is different and has different motivations.  We do drink but if I have 3 in one day I consider it to be a lot. 🙂  At any rate, I just didn't see anything in the loyalty level chart that really rang my bell and was wondering if there were other benefits.

The value will definitely vary based on your habits and preferences. If you don't find value in them then you don't. Nothing wrong with that but I'd venture to say you're in the minority.

As a Diamond member, the 4 drinks daily per person and access to the Diamond Lounge for multiple free cappuccinos every morning and snacks every night are the main perks for us. Keep in mind that the drinks don't need to be alcoholic. You can use your vouchers on mocktails, smoothies, soda, etc. My wife hardly drinks but will have 1-2 virgin daiquiris sitting by the pool and maybe a dessert drink at night. I'm not a big drinker but have no problem spreading 4-5 out throughout the day/night.

We'll be D+ after our next cruise and are looking forward to the 2 extra drinks, 4 days of internet, and BOGO specialty meals.

1 hour ago, Mick B said:

How about in a few years due the amount of diamond members on ships that the diamond lounge is renamed the diamond plus lounge and diamonds are no longer allowed in it and then diamond plus status is moved from 175 to 340 points and anyone below that threashold is downgraded to diamond and not allowed in and then to cap it off, the 4 or 5 drinks at any bar are removed and the happy hour from 5 to 8 in the diamond lounge (sorry diamond plus lounge as it may become) is reinstated with the old limited selection instead of almost any drink at any time in any bar.

Based on C&A aboard numbers posted by people attending Top Tier Events, the average sailing has approximately 10% at Diamond,  7% at Diamond+, and 2% at Pinnacle. Historically, Royal's loyalty program topped out at Diamond+. I have a hunch that due to raising fares, especially with the newest ships, Royal will be keeping the higher ranks of C&A tamped down to where they want them to be. Not to mention the attrition from long time cruisers who either don't like the direction the company is going, can't afford to continue cruising with them, or can no longer cruise due to health.

The drink vouchers cost Royal a fraction of the face value, and it's the same with the rest of the perks. I could see Royal doing away with the drink vouchers and saying that starting at Diamond, on-board purchases of beverage packages are 50% off, Diamond+ gets 75% off, and Pinnacle it's on the house. Thereby getting some spend out of guests while giving them a decent enough deal to keep people coming back after angering them due to removing the drink voucher system.

Although our upcoming cruise in August is our first on Royal, we have been on 11 prior cruises, like 1 per year.  Probably not many compared to a lot of folks but enough for our tastes.  At any rate, we have never sailed in anything but a suite.  On our very first cruise we got upgraded by the cruise line and suites is where we've been ever since.  It seems that a lot of the suite perks somewhat mirror loyalty program perks.  For us, chasing points would just not be reasonable.  I guess we just don't cruise enough for it to make sense.

Thanks to all for the information.

7 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

The value will definitely vary based on your habits and preferences. If you don't find value in them then you don't. Nothing wrong with that but I'd venture to say you're in the minority.

As a Diamond member, the 4 drinks daily per person and access to the Diamond Lounge for multiple free cappuccinos every morning and snacks every night are the main perks for us. Keep in mind that the drinks don't need to be alcoholic. You can use your vouchers on mocktails, smoothies, soda, etc. My wife hardly drinks but will have 1-2 virgin daiquiris sitting by the pool and maybe a dessert drink at night. I'm not a big drinker but have no problem spreading 4-5 out throughout the day/night.

We'll be D+ after our next cruise and are looking forward to the 2 extra drinks, 4 days of internet, and BOGO specialty meals.

Also fresh squeezed OJ < specialty coffes , JR's shakes , And ... If you don't happen to use them all in a particular day , grab a beer or soda at the end of the day to store in the fridge for when u may want an extra !

Cheers

And as Mike said ... if it doesn't entice you ... fair enough , probably NOT gonna find much value anywhere else !

On 6/30/2023 at 5:01 PM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Love cruising. Love trying new ships and destinations. However a few things that have made me sad about royal and made me look elsewhere.

1, Royals prices have gone sky high. Yes so has a lot of things but other lines more competitive. Alrhough airfare prices ro the US and Europe have gone equally mad, esp in school holidays. 

2, Graturites, enough said on that. Its cultural for me. 

3, Cost of the extras, Royal is becoming Vegas at sea where your paying for everything and then grats on top of grats.

4, mislead deal pricing. Oh thats a good price and kids sail free, oh no they dont as the adult prices go up by the ammount the kids are orginally discounted. 

5, Lack of new itineraries. I like to see new destinations but royal do the same old routes.

However that said i do really enjoy royals new ships and some great customer service on the ships and great friendly staff. Ive got to the point where like i said if the ship and deal is good then i will try it, no matter what line it is. 

I'm inclined to agree.  We are cruising on Wonder here very soon.  I have started to take a look at other lines.  Hopefully it won't be my last time cruising Royal (unless my upcoming cruise is a disaster), but, I'm ready for a change.

4 hours ago, CutiePie10 said:

I'm inclined to agree.  We are cruising on Wonder here very soon.  I have started to take a look at other lines.  Hopefully it won't be my last time cruising Royal (unless my upcoming cruise is a disaster), but, I'm ready for a change.

That's how we felt after 25+ years cruising on other lines. But we're coming back to Royal after a 24 year hiatus from them (last sailed with Royal in '99 on ROS). Hope we're not disappointed..

• Like 2

I took my first cruise fifty years ago, and nowadays I pay absolutely no attention to status on any cruise lines. I have been on more than ten different lines, and I have sailed on at least three cruise lines that have completely ceased all operations. I have seen so many changes I have almost lost count (there used to be lots of bunk beds, definitely no televisions, one restaurant for everybody, flaming desserts, etc., etc.)

I rarely drink, and I have gone to enough ship parties to last a lifetime. I refuse to do laundry on ships as well!  

I agree prices have increased, but I am absolutely INUNDATED with great cruise offers all the time--yes, they are still out there if one has a flexible schedule.  However, we also like to take land tours, ski vacations, and driving trips, plus we have a lot of pets.  Last minute air-fares can also be pricey.

You have several more decades ahead of you to enjoy the cruising life style!  Life is short, so live it up!

• Like 3

Hi,

We are from the UK, and currently cruises out of Southampton either go to places like the med or Canaries for 12 to 14 nights or do shorter 7 day cruises to places like northern Europe where the weather and sea are not the best.

I have a 15 night TA booked for April 2024 from Ft Lauderdale to Southampton on the Jewel and have got my TA to add the flights from the UK to Miami, transfers and 1 night in a hotel and the total price is less than 12 nights to the Canaries from Southampton on the Anthem in the October. 

I think the following year we may fly to New York, stay for a few days and then sail back to the UK on either the Anthem or whatever ship they put on (Hopefully the Indy), unless things change for the better here.

We used to have 2 cruises a year, which ranged from 7 nights to 9 or 12. But with the prices out of the UK going sky high and the cost of flights to Europe going up too, then 1 single cruise like a TA may be the best option for us. We both still work and therefore have to book things early to get the time off.

Anyway...

The other thing that could have stopped us cruising, more than the cost and more than the perks being taken off us is... changes to the food in the MDR.

Although I class myself as a pig and can (and will) eat almost anything, my wife sadly cannot. She has had several major operations but the one that affects her the most was the removal of her gallbladder. Certain foods, especially fatty foods tend to go through her very quickly and also leave her in pain afterwards for hours afterwards.

Luckily on our last cruise (which was on the Enchantment out of Ravenna at the end of May this year and the first with the new menus in the MDR) she was able to find something on the menu in the MDR most nights. There was just 1 night out of the 7 where she had to have the New York Strip stake again because there was nothing else she could eat (or fancied) on that menu.

I thought I would share this so that it may help anyone else in her situation know that all is OK with the new food as my wife is very fussy about food so if there are enough things for her to choose from, then there should be enough choices for anyone else in her condition.

Back on topic, one thing that did make me sad on my last cruise was that there was no lamb shank on the menu on any night. Normally its either the last night or the one before. Not sure if this is because it has been scrapped, or because of the theme nights on that voyage. Forgot to ask the waiter. Anyone had the lamb shank lately?

Mick.

Edited by Mick B