Naples to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast

After our cruise ends in Naples, we want to see the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. We will have about 3 days to do this. Where should we book a hotel?  Not looking for a specific hotel yet, just the area we should stay in. Should we stay in Naples and do day trips or somewhere along the Amalfi coast?  We will consider cost, as well as convenience. 

If your focus is Naples, Pompei and the Amalfi Coast, a car would be a liability rather than an asset.

The two most convenient locations would be Naples and Sorrento, once on the Amalfi Coast it's difficult to travel anywhere.  You could see Pompei on your way to the coast, if that's your only interest off the coast, then spend the rest of the time there.

Also, are you flying home from Naples, or going elsewhere in Italy after this stay?

35 minutes ago, marazul said:

Are you planning to rent a car? 

No

32 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

If your focus is Naples, Pompei and the Amalfi Coast, a car would be a liability rather than an asset.

The two most convenient locations would be Naples and Sorrento, once on the Amalfi Coast it's difficult to travel anywhere.  You could see Pompei on your way to the coast, if that's your only interest off the coast, then spend the rest of the time there.

Also, are you flying home from Naples, or going elsewhere in Italy after this stay?

I don’t know that we will spend much time on Naples.  I haven’t researched it at all yet. Seeing the Amalfi Coast is my top priority!  While we are there we would like to see Pompeii too, so it sounds like that would be best to do on our way to the coast from Naples?  I would love to stay somewhere along the Amalfi Coast overnight, but may just look into a full day tour from Naples if it’s too expensive. Which place is the most beautiful, yet still affordable?  Is Naples cheaper to stay in than Positano or Amalfi?  

We haven’t decided where we will fly home from yet. It may depend on prices. I know Rome offers a direct flight to Charlotte, which would be nice. But then we would have to travel back there just to get on a flight. 

Naples has more price ranges than Positano or Amalfi. Sorrento would be next and it would be a nicer place to stay.  But search hotel websites for places in Positano and Amalfi - you never know.  Another choice would be in one of the smaller towns of the coast like Praiano.

Another question is how are you planning to get around? 

Sorrento is a good choice because you can take the train there from Naples. That same train stops in Herculaneum and Pompeii.  From Sorrento you can take an excursion, bus or ferry to the Amalfi coast towns and also a ferry to Capri. 

11 minutes ago, marazul said:

Naples has more price ranges than Positano or Amalfi. Sorrento would be next and it would be a nicer place to stay.  But search hotel websites for places in Positano and Amalfi - you never know.  Another choice would be in one of the smaller towns of the coast like Praiano.

Another question is how are you planning to get around? 

Sorrento is a good choice because you can take the train there from Naples. That same train stops in Herculaneum and Pompeii.  From Sorrento you can take an excursion, bus or ferry to the Amalfi coast towns and also a ferry to Capri. 

No idea how we plan to get around. Trains, taxi, walking, tour company. What’s best?  Is Sorrento pretty?  It sounds convenient. 

Sorrento is pretty, but not as much as Positano and Amalfi. It is a good choice to be based on if you are using trains and ferries. 

You still need wheels for the Amalfi coast unless you take the ferry from town to town.

Ferry is really the only way to get around on the Amalfi coast anymore, the intense overcrowding has made land travel nearly impossible.  Buses are wildly oversubscribed and often can't pick people up at intermediate stops.  

There are hotels at various price ranges on the Amalfi Coast, especially if you book well in advance (as in, the year before).  Or if you choose a town like Vietri sul Mare, which is lovely but doesn't have the "buzz" of Positano or Amalfi.

Vietri has the advantage of the only train station along the Amalfi Coast, so if you stayed there going to Pompei as a day trip would be much easier than from any other location along the coast.

• Like 1

How many days are you planning to spend doing this leg?

If you only have a day, I would plan to fly out of Naples and stay in Naples. Find a private tour that will pick you up at the ship and take you on a LONG tour of Pompeii and Amalfi Coast stops. Most cruise ship tours are 8 hours. I would spend the extra and ask them for additional time so you can fully enjoy the day and not just spend it driving....

Skip Sorrento. From past posts I think you've indicated minimal interest in Pompeii, so two hours should be enough for you. Spend the rest of the time going to Positano and Amalfi. (Ravello is far up on the hillside and takes additional time to get to, although it is lovely.)  

If you are planning to stay a couple of days:  I would book a hotel somewhere on the Amalfi Coast (again, skip Sorrento). It doesn't have to be Positano or Amalfi, but they are the most well known and have a number of hotels, inns, etc.  Arrange a private transfer from your ship in the morning -- with a two hour stop in Pompeii (that way you don't have to worry about luggage), then go to your hotel via the Amalfi coast highway (specify this if you want to experience the drive). Enjoy the rest of your time on the Amalfi coast -- if you want to take the ferry and explore the area further, you can.

If more than a couple of days, and you think you may head to other places up and down the coast or to Capri, Sorrento wouldn't be a bad base. You could do the same thing as above regarding a transfer that allows a stop at Pompeii enroute to your hotel. Or you could get there yourselves via the local train from Sorrento.

Edited by cruisemom42

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Sorrento is pretty, but not as much as Positano and Amalfi. It is a good choice to be based on if you are using trains and ferries. 

You still need wheels for the Amalfi coast unless you take the ferry from town to town.

I’d prefer staying where in pretty. I’d love the classic post card scene, if we can fit it in our budget. 

56 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Ferry is really the only way to get around on the Amalfi coast anymore, the intense overcrowding has made land travel nearly impossible.  Buses are wildly oversubscribed and often can't pick people up at intermediate stops.  

There are hotels at various price ranges on the Amalfi Coast, especially if you book well in advance (as in, the year before).  Or if you choose a town like Vietri sul Mare, which is lovely but doesn't have the "buzz" of Positano or Amalfi.

Vietri has the advantage of the only train station along the Amalfi Coast, so if you stayed there going to Pompei as a day trip would be much easier than from any other location along the coast.

Thank you!  

32 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

How many days are you planning to spend doing this leg?

If you only have a day, I would plan to fly out of Naples and stay in Naples. Find a private tour that will pick you up at the ship and take you on a LONG tour of Pompeii and Amalfi Coast stops. Most cruise ship tours are 8 hours. I would spend the extra and ask them for additional time so you can fully enjoy the day and not just spend it driving....

Skip Sorrento. From past posts I think you've indicated minimal interest in Pompeii, so two hours should be enough for you. Spend the rest of the time going to Positano and Amalfi. (Ravello is far up on the hillside and takes additional time to get to, although it is lovely.)  

If you are planning to stay a couple of days:  I would book a hotel somewhere on the Amalfi Coast (again, skip Sorrento). It doesn't have to be Positano or Amalfi, but they are the most well known and have a number of hotels, inns, etc.  Arrange a private transfer from your ship in the morning -- with a two hour stop in Pompeii (that way you don't have to worry about luggage), then go to your hotel via the Amalfi coast highway (specify this if you want to experience the drive). Enjoy the rest of your time on the Amalfi coast -- if you want to take the ferry and explore the area further, you can.

If more than a couple of days, and you think you may head to other places up and down the coast or to Capri, Sorrento wouldn't be a bad base. You could do the same thing as above regarding a transfer that allows a stop at Pompeii enroute to your hotel. Or you could get there yourselves via the local train from Sorrento.

More than a day, most likely 2-3. It looks like our ship doesn’t dock on Naples until 1:00 so the first day won’t be a full one. I’d like to at least spend one night on the coast. Since this is the end of our trip, not not just a port stop, we do want to see Pompeii. 

12 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

More than a day, most likely 2-3. It looks like our ship doesn’t dock on Naples until 1:00 so the first day won’t be a full one. I’d like to at least spend one night on the coast. Since this is the end of our trip, not not just a port stop, we do want to see Pompeii. 

So then my recommendation would be what I outlined above as a "couple of days".  You can fit Pompeii in on the first afternoon before being dropped at your hotel. Find a place on the true Amalfi Coast and stay at least two nights to appreciate it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

So then my recommendation would be what I outlined above as a "couple of days".  You can fit Pompeii in on the first afternoon before being dropped at your hotel. Find a place on the true Amalfi Coast and stay at least two nights to appreciate it.

Sounds like a good plan. 

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

No idea how we plan to get around. Trains, taxi, walking, tour company. What’s best?  Is Sorrento pretty?  It sounds convenient. 

This is one of those very tough questions.  Trains are worthless for the Amalfi Coast other than getting you to a few towns like Sorrento (not really on the Amalfi Coast) or Sorrento.  There is both bus service (SITA) and some ferry service (Amalfi, Positano, Amalfi, Sorrento) although there are far fewer ferries than one would expect.  The other option is a rental car, which can be challenging for folks not used to driving in Italy and especially on crowded roads such as the Amalfi Drive.  We have often had a car, but will sometimes leave it at our hotel in Praiano and simply use the orange local bus to get ourselves to Positano.  On the other hand, a car does make it easier to visit some far flung areas such as Positano (no place to park), Amalfi and Ravello (our favorite 3 towns in the area.

Some folks prefer to base themselves in Sorrento (a town with plenty of hotels) and arrange for private day tours (or use the SITA buses).

Hank

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

This is one of those very tough questions.  Trains are worthless for the Amalfi Coast other than getting you to a few towns like Sorrento (not really on the Amalfi Coast) or Sorrento.  There is both bus service (SITA) and some ferry service (Amalfi, Positano, Amalfi, Sorrento) although there are far fewer ferries than one would expect.  The other option is a rental car, which can be challenging for folks not used to driving in Italy and especially on crowded roads such as the Amalfi Drive.  We have often had a car, but will sometimes leave it at our hotel in Praiano and simply use the orange local bus to get ourselves to Positano.  On the other hand, a car does make it easier to visit some far flung areas such as Positano (no place to park), Amalfi and Ravello (our favorite 3 towns in the area.

Some folks prefer to base themselves in Sorrento (a town with plenty of hotels) and arrange for private day tours (or use the SITA buses).

Hank

15 hours ago, marazul said:

Do check hotels in Praiano. It is between Positano and Amalfi. It is very pretty and the prices are lower. 

12 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

As getting around during the season is miserable, at best, on the roads, I would limit my search to the towns that have ferry service (Amalfi, Positano, Vietri sul Mare, Cetara, Maiori, Minori).

Orari traghetti Travelmar - Traghetti veloci in Costiera Amalfitana

Thanks for all the tips!  This will be the longest, most expensive vacation we’ve ever had. I will make a list of what I would like to do/where to say and see what my dh says. I will check Positano, but also Praiano and Sorrento, although I’ve heard day trips to Positano don’t allow for the true experience because of the crowds.  How far is it from Positano and Amalfi?  Is it expensive to get from one town to the next?  Would the hotel savings be enough to make up for the extra travel expenses?  

It's only about ten miles between Positano and Amalfi but in the summer it can take an hour or more to travel that distance on the road (one lane in each direction, winding, loaded with tour buses, etc.).

You can see the time and price to travel from town to town in the link I provided for the ferry.  For example, it takes 25 minutes by ferry between Positano and Amalfi and it costs 10 euro.

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

It's only about ten miles between Positano and Amalfi but in the summer it can take an hour or more to travel that distance on the road (one lane in each direction, winding, loaded with tour buses, etc.).

You can see the time and price to travel from town to town in the link I provided for the ferry.  For example, it takes 25 minutes by ferry between Positano and Amalfi and it costs 10 euro.

Oh. I assumed we would travel by a taxi or bus. 

21 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Oh. I assumed we would travel by a taxi or bus. 

Ferries are best to travel along the coast. Taxi or bus to where you are staying on the coast.

Train or taxi to Pompeii and Herculaneum from Naples and/or Sorrento. Train or taxi to/from Naples ans Sorrento. 

PS It's hot in CLT today! 

Edited by marazul

48 minutes ago, marazul said:

Ferries are best to travel along the coast. Taxi or bus to where you are staying on the coast.

Train or taxi to Pompeii and Herculaneum from Naples and/or Sorrento. Train or taxi to/from Naples ans Sorrento. 

PS It's hot in CLT today! 

Got ya!  Thanks!  Are you from Charlotte?  We’ll be back home in about 4 hours. Just heading back after our cruise, stayed a couple extra days in Florida. 

Is it an option to take the ferry from Naples/Sorrento to Capri vs carrying on further south?

Enough there to fill the day including dramatic scenery without too much travel time.  Local bus lets you experience the hair pin turns... Each of the three 'levels'(Marina, Capri, Anacapri) has something picturesque to look on foot.

Our next trip to the region, we will see the Amalfi coast from the water and avoid the traffic and switchbacks.

53 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Got ya!  Thanks!  Are you from Charlotte?  We’ll be back home in about 4 hours. Just heading back after our cruise, stayed a couple extra days in Florida. 

Visiting. 

Safe travels. 

35 minutes ago, bison2013 said:

Is it an option to take the ferry from Naples/Sorrento to Capri vs carrying on further south?

Enough there to fill the day including dramatic scenery without too much travel time.  Local bus lets you experience the hair pin turns... Each of the three 'levels'(Marina, Capri, Anacapri) has something picturesque to look on foot.

Our next trip to the region, we will see the Amalfi coast from the water and avoid the traffic and switchbacks.

If the OP stays in Sorrento, they should definitely consider going to Capri for a day.

45 minutes ago, marazul said:

Visiting. 

Safe travels. 

Enjoy your visit!

41 minutes ago, marazul said:

If the OP stays in Sorrento, they should definitely consider going to Capri for a day.

Why stay in Sorrento instead of along the AC?  Price?  That could certainly end up being a factor!  You say that is nicer than Naples? I’d much rather stay on the AC than do a day trip because I’ve heard it’s not at all the same experience. I will make the plan I want and see what dh says about the cost. He may destroy my plans with his red pen. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising