Embarkation Day Evening Meal

Tiggipaws

4 minutes ago, Bestbubba said:

How will the poster know if she likes it or not if she doesn't taste it🙄

I have found that on Princess the sommelier in the restaurant is only too willing to allow you to have a taste of any wine before you order it.

On 7/6/2023 at 1:09 AM, Tiggipaws said:

Good morning

I am sailing on the Sky Princess later this year. I know embarkation day can be very hectic. Probably go to MDR  at lunch time. Just wondering for dinner whether I should go to one of the specialty restaurants or Alfredos. Which would be the best option?

Thank you

Since everyone is eating as soon as they board, and drinking, you will have no problem

1 hour ago, david63 said:

I have found that on Princess the sommelier in the restaurant is only too willing to allow you to have a taste of any wine before you order it.

There hasn't been a true sommelier on a Princess ship in at least a decade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2023 at 9:28 PM, J13C85 said:

Even before we sailed in suites we liked to do specialty dining on night one. Our experience was that embarkation night was not as busy as other nights and there was a real fun "energy" in the restaurant. When we last sailed on Sky we had a wonderful meal at Sabatini's and enjoyed it so much we did a spur of the moment one later in the cruise.

We don't sail in suites but we still go to a specialty the first night?

Edited by suzyed

19 hours ago, capriccio said:

Quite right. Our last trip was on the Celebrity Equinox, where Somelliers can be found in pretty much every dining venue. While we never needed their "advice", the fact that there were dedicated wine handlers ensured that we never went dry or waited for a refill. He/she was always nearby ready with the bottle we were drinking. I would surely love Princess to implement such a system.

20 hours ago, capriccio said:

Well, there may not be a “real” sommelier, but on last week’s Enchanted cruise a gentleman came up to our table in Sabatini’s, introduced himself as the sommelier  and inquired about our opinion of the bottle of wine that we had ordered.  We were surprised by his visit and found out that he was shared among 4 restaurants on the ship.

10 minutes ago, mevs904 said:

Well, there may not be a “real” sommelier, but on last week’s Enchanted cruise a gentleman came up to our table in Sabatini’s, introduced himself as the sommelier  and inquired about our opinion of the bottle of wine that we had ordered.  We were surprised by his visit and found out that he was shared among 4 restaurants on the ship.

I would have expected the sommelier to assist in choosing a wine which is impossible if you aren't lucky enough to be getting ready to order wine in the dining room he/she is visiting but at least it may be a first step to adding them back on ships. 

I saw no evidence of one on the Caribbean Princess last week (we had one dinner in the Crown Grill and the other 6 in an MDR) or on our month-long cruise on the Coral Princess in April (we had dinners in both the Crown Grill and Sabatinis and 26 in an MDR).