Solo on Princess?

latebuyer

I have been on 1 NCL and maybe 4 Princess.  Not much of a sampling, but I felt as though I was being nickeled and dimed on the NCL.  My most recent Princess was 1/22 and we had a great customer service and food experience.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, adventurer1 said:

What are the demographics of solo passengers on Princess?  Are there a fair number of young professionals or is it mostly an older demographic?

From my lone experience, I did not notice a lot of obvious solo passengers. The solo meet-up in Wheelhouse appeared to be be people my age (mid-40s) and older.

Again, just one cruise and I wasn't actively looking for other solos. The number of folks I would consider younger (under 35?) in general was a pretty small % of cruisers overall from my observations. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've cruised several times solo on princess when it comes to dining just make reservations for dinner in the app for the week you can reserve a table to share which is what I do or for just yourself.  I meet people by joining in on trivia and also go to a meet and greet from our roll call if there is one.  I'm elite so I usually attend the pes nightly cocktail and apps before dinner. I have noticed on cruises without full supplement there are quite a lot of solos.

• Like 2

Hello!!

Solo Princess Cruiser here. 15 solo with Princess whaddya wanna know?😉

The Solo Meet&Greet scheduled in the Princess Patters. In the Wheelhouse Bar. 

I love the Wheelhouse Bar I never went. Cruised the Emerald Princess 5 times solo I'm not sure on a couple of those sailings other than myself and maybe a few more cruisers, at that time 2007-2008-2010-2011-2013 there weren't any solo cruisers. 

2007 Emerald Princess inaugural other than myself and I kinda looked I really didn't see many if any other solo cruisers. As a solo that's just fine with me and one of the main reasons I continue to cruise Princess only. 

As a solo I'm staying solo I know that so it's not an issue. 

Michaelangelo Dining Room never a problem getting a 2 top by myself or if I want to entertain a handful of fellow cruisers I'll asked to share a table never a problem. I'm a late eater I don't stand in line outside the dining room door before it opens. While everyone else is standing in line for dinner I'm at Crooners drinking vodka martinis. Show up in the dining room about 8pm never a wait never an issue and don't forget to hand the maitre'd a $100 bill on the first night of your sailing.

Best seat in the house for the remainder of your cruise. 

Solo cruising has come a long way and there are many more of us than there were 10-15 years ago, we are still few and far between. 

Sailed the Caribbean Princess twice solo what a great ship to cruise solo and so is the Emerald. 

Grand Princess not so much. Actually I was on the Grand Princess solo in 2012 the ship, half the crew, and about 80% of the passengers need sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

Golden Princess Inaugural 2001 great cruise solo. 

The crew is key for solo cruisers. 

Take care of the crew they take care of you. No worries your entire cruise. 

Princess solo for me it's not broke and I don't have to fix anything it works. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sailed solo on Princess this past January (it was my first time on Princess) on my third Panama Canal cruise.  The solo meetups were when I had my dinner scheduled, so I never made any of those.  Princess does not have fixed sitting, which is what i prefer as I am picky and I don't like subjecting a different waiter to that every night.  So my choices were go to Anytime dining, which on this cruise was a disaster-having to wait 30-60 minutes every night which I hate, or I could arrange the same table with the same waiters every night at the same time, which is what I did.  That worked out well.  I had arranged several tours, so one night I ate dinner with people from one tour.  I was seated in a very small section of the dining room, so I got to know the people in that section well, and it was like having dinner companions.  There were plenty of activities if I wanted to meet people, but I was very happy just lying in the sun and reading a book.  The ship was lovely, and all sorts of great entertainment.  I think you would have an easy time meeting people if you wanted to.  

I will say Princess had just started the new lanyard system, so you can do anything with your lanyard.  It worked like a charm, although it was strange having your cabin door unlock before you get to it!

YES!! Nice that's exactly what I do except for dinner and I like your idea much better than I do mine.

Ship's are beautiful. Crew is Top Shelf from start to finish. Princess is a great experience laid back very quiet. I was on one of the first cruise's back in 2018 that used the Medallion. I'm still getting used to it. 😁

I think Princess is highly underrated when it comes to Solo Cruising. I have no problem with that I enjoy being one of the very few solos onboard. I hope it stays that way. Keep cruising Princess solo WE ROCK!!

I loved having the laundry on board. ( On HAL, I don't need it as I get free laundry.) I went to the Specialty Steak House twice, and it was great. I had heard the pastas on Princess were great , and that was true also. There was some trouble as a couple of the bars had no idea how to make an Amaretto Sour, which I found odd, as it isn't that uncommon of a drink. It was sometimes difficult to find a lounge chair near the pool, but that happens. The worst thing was losing two ports, and one they should have replaced as they knew 5 months before they were not going there. HAL would have replaced it. I really minded losing Cartagena, but it was weather related, so nothing could be done.

I'm interested in solo cruise. I love to cruise, and my husband passed away. I don't know how well I will handle it but I don't want to pay for two people when it's just me. If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated. We usually went celebrity, princess, and R.C.  Please inform me of what kind of prices are involved and if any special sales are going on. Thanks, Lyn

Lyn, you should look at the post cruise line single supplement/solo bargains here thread where people post the deals they have found. Norwegian has studio cabins that can be cheaper. You also have to do digging on your own. There is not a lot unfortunately. Also with princess you can filter by one person which makes it easier to look.

• Like 1

You aren't going to find too many bargains for solos on HAL or Princess. Solo supplements will be  75% or more. Also watch with NCL as the studio cabins can end up higher priced than a regular cabin that you pay double for and they are tiny. Usually the bargains are found 90 days from the cruise and closer in, but that can be tough for air fare. She is right to keep looking at the solo cabin bargains posted in this forum.

I wouldn’t discount Norwegian.  I just booked a studio with a 50% single supplement. Is that great, no, but it beats 100%. My understanding is its based on demand and if you book early like me you may have a better chance. Returning t princess i have found random solo deals with a low supplement. Thats why the filter is nice.

Just to add holland america is the worse and from what i can see offers 0 single supplement specials. It seems like its worth it to create an account on princess so you can receive resident fares promos. At least it seems like you get extra obc. Perhaps a princess cruiser can speak to that?

On 7/31/2023 at 6:29 AM, adventurer1 said:

What are the demographics of solo passengers on Princess?  Are there a fair number of young professionals or is it mostly an older demographic?

I didn't hunt out any other solo cruisers, but I met a few in my last solo cruise. One was in her 80's and another was around my age (in her mid 50's) and a professional such as myself. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 8:56 PM, Tinyrn said:

@TTEllis  You mentioned that the Caribbean Princess is good for solo cruising. What makes it so? I am taking a solo trip in October, so I would love to know!

Good for you!! CB is a great ship. Very open lots of deck space all over the ship single deck chairs never a problem anywhere on the ship. 

I like that I don't like laying out on a deck in the same place all the time.

WorldFreshMarketplace(WFM) lots of great places to sit I love that setup.

Not only great single seats but great views overlooking the sea too while you're having lunch.

As a solo cruiser the Caribbean Princess, I did 14 days twice last time being in Dec. 2018, it was like I had the ship too myself. It was great.

Have fun looking forward to your review when you return. Enjoy your vacation.

• Like 1

I was on Caribbean princess this past March. I had an absolute blast! I met many different people on the ship and had a wonderful time. I met another solo traveler, and we spent a lot of time in crooners bar lol it was great the entertainment! the piano playing! it was wonderful.❤️👍 met lots of friendly people! I have another princess cruise booked for Feb/Mar 2024 looking forward to it 🎉🥳🍾🛳️

• Like 3

I'm married and usually cruise with my wife on HAL, Oceania, and Cunard, but Princess is my preferred line for when I cruise solo. The other lines I mentioned are either too expensive for solos (i.e., 75-100% single supplements) and/or too "couples oriented."

Of course, every cruise line involves compromises of one sort or another, and for me that means I have to pay for specialty dining on Princess most nights. Others may disagree, but I feel that, on Princess, every specialty restaurant on every ship is head-and-shoulders above the MDR experience on the same ship. But it's a price I'm more than willing to pay because having a nice dining experience is one of the high points of my day.

Anyway, I think Princess can be an excellent and reasonably-priced choice for most solos.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2023 at 12:28 AM, shandryl said:

I was on Caribbean princess this past March. I had an absolute blast! I met many different people on the ship and had a wonderful time. I met another solo traveler, and we spent a lot of time in crooners bar lol it was great the entertainment! the piano playing! it was wonderful.❤️👍 met lots of friendly people! I have another princess cruise booked for Feb/Mar 2024 looking forward to it 🎉🥳🍾🛳️

Nice!! Love Crooners on the CB and the Emerald. The Caribbean Princess is a great ship solo you can do anything you want. 

Adagio on the Emerald Princess at the rear of the ship across from Sabatini's best piano bar at sea. The piano players normally stop playing around 10pm. I stay late and have this extraordinary bar all to myself it's wonderful.

How did you like the WFM compared to the old Horizon Court?

The WFM on the CB was wonderful at breakfast and lunch. Of course I eat anything but still the food is killer.

They had fresh made omelettes on the Emerald but not like in the new WFM on the Caribbean Princess, that omelette station back there is abominable.😁

As a solo did you have any problems with the medallions? I'm still learning 😁 I didn't have time to stand there and figure it all out but I'm getting the idea. 

The Caribbean Princess solo 14 day Caribbean Circle sailing, I've done pretty much every one of them, that sailing is as good as it gets, especially for a solo. Except of course for Trinidad that place sucks it doesn't matter what you are.

Have fun on your next solo cruise addicting ain't it?!!😎😉😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

I am following this topic.

In April I did Miami to Southampton on the Celebrity Silhouette

and loved every minute. I was a Solo cruiser.

There have been changes made that have me now looking at

Princess. Somewhat dismayed that the Enchanted Princess is

staying here and not in the Med next year.

Any suggestions about the Caribbean vs the Island vs the Sun?

I have no qualms about going Solo.  Although a former colleague

would like to also go, but I prefer having my own accommodations.

Maybe I don't share well! 🤣 

Any opinions of the New Reserve Collection?  The Plus packages?

Princess excusions?

Thank you for any input you would like to share!

Julie

PS I check CC for ship ratings, accommodations, etc. But feel former

or current passengers opinions are the best resource!. 

I did Princess last summer & this spring solo as well as NCL solo last summer.

NCL did a MUCH better job--daily solo meets, tables reserved for solos.

I went to the Princess solo meet up--NOBODY CAME.

I had a good time on both cruises, and I don't really do the solo events but those were my observations.

Yes, they will seat you with others if you do My Time Dining.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KKB said:

I had a good time on both cruises, and I don't really do the solo events but those were my observations.

My first Princess Cruise in 2001 I went to the solo meet and greet that was posted in the Princess Patters in the Wheelhouse Lounge. I was genuinely interested in seeing how many others were sailing solo-NOBODY CAME. I just assumed I was the only solo on the ship and probably was. I've never been to another solo anything on a Princess Cruise Ship. 

I don't cruise to cruise solo I cruise for the overall experience. NCL I've never cruised NCL my parents have, I know they have single studio cabins for solo's. I book a balcony, Table's reserved for solo's at dinner that's great if that's what you're into. 

I don't really care who I sit with at dinner. 80-90% of the time I sit at a 2-top by myself and I much prefer that. If I choose to sit with others I don't care if they're married, gay, straight, it doesn't matter as long as they can sit at dinner and have a respectable conversation with others. 

If I cruise with a girlfriend or I cruise solo by myself I've done both many times I cruise Princess either way because I like the overall product.

I've cruised with my girlfriend before and I've cruised solo a lot, I really can't see me ever cruising again with anyone whomever it is. I cruise solo it works out tremendously every time,  I have no interest in traveling with anyone again, especially on a Princess Cruise Ship.

Edited by TTEllis

On 9/15/2023 at 7:51 AM, KKB said:

Are solo cruisers invited to the solo get to get hers on NCL if they are not in a Studio?

I will be in a balcony in my upcoming NCL.

1 hour ago, Ellaleah said:

Are solo cruisers invited to the solo get to get hers on NCL if they are not in a Studio?

I will be in a balcony in my upcoming NCL.

It will be listed in daily activities.

Anyone can go no matter what cabin

• Like 2

The main problem with the solo get together is the time it's usually scheduled during dinner time so I've never gone and I've heard others that went hardly no one shows up even though on princess cruises with little to no supplement there are quite a lot of solos.  Since covid princess has been offering more cruises with less than the double payment.