Live EPIC Mediterannean 11-Day Cruise from Marseille, France October 2, 2023-with pics!

graphicguy

Not sure there's any interest in a cruise that is 3 months away.  As I've done in the past, I plan on doing a live report/review with pics.

But, given this is about 50% longer than normal 7 day cruises, and it's going to take me a couple of days of travel just to get to the embarkation pier, it takes more planning.  Perhaps some would be helped by the way I booked it, how I'm getting there, and getting back?

If not, I'll let the thread go dormant.  Yay?  Nay?  What say all of you?  Interested?

• Like 14

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

If not, I'll let the thread go dormant.  Yay?  Nay?  What say all of you?  Interested?

Can't see any reason to start a review three months in advance.  Not sure there would be anything of interest to me, at least.

(not meant in a snarky way, but you asked)  😉

• Haha 1

Answer some questions.....

-Flying into MRS (Marseille) Sept 30, which is a red-eye that gets me in 10/01.  I had no reason to use NCL's flights, given I'm the only one flying.  I have some (quickly dwindling) frequent flyer miles left over from my corporate days.  So, while it's not a direct flight, it is made a little easier by cashing them in and flying Comfort Plus, allowing me liquor and a scoche more toe room.  Not great but could be worse given the flight(s) are CVG to CDG to MRS (or for those who don't fly much, that's Cincinnati to Paris to Marseille).  Leave at 7:00 p.m. on Sept 30 and land in Marseille October 1 at 2-ish p.m.  Delta and Air France are the carriers.

-no itinerary changes....

Oct 2 from Marseille departing at 7:30 p.m.

Oct 3 arrive Barcelona at 8:30 a.m.  Stay overnight!  Departing Barcelona at 8:00 p.m. Oct 4

Oct 5 arrive Plama Majorca, Spain at 6:30 a.m., departing at 10:00 p.m.

Oct 6-at sea (our ONLY sea day of the entire trip)

Oct 7 arrive  in Naples/Pompeii 6:30 a.m., departing 8:00 p.m.

Oct 8 arrive Rome (Civitavecchia) at 6:30 a.m. and stay overnight, departing Oct 9 at 7:00 p.m.

Oct 10 arrive in Florence/Pisa 6:30 a.m. and stay overnight, departing Oct 11 at 8:00 p.m.

Oct 12 arrive in Cannes, France at 6:30 a.m., departing 7:00 p.m.

Oct 13 arrive and disembark in Marseille at 5:00 a.m.

I understand some of these ports can and have changed.  My understanding is the cruise prior to this one was/is chartered.  Not sure if that matters at all!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, omahabob said:

Flying to MRS, or taking the train from Paris?

Interestingly, I am looking to meet family in Italy (Cortona) after the cruise (that's where both my late parents are from).  So, I'm actually looking for a way to get from the Marseille cruise port to Cortona.  Open to suggestions.  Train looks like a bunch of transfers.  Bus?  Maybe!  Flight?  Maybe!

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Sounds like an awesome cruise. Are any of these ports new to you?   Did you do NCL air promo?  

Have been to Rome (again family visit). But, that was about 5 years ago.

I was in Barcelona right before COVID for relatives graduation and another ones' wedding.  So, 3 years ago, roughly.  The rest I've never seen.  Which is pretty exciting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Can't see any reason to start a review three months in advance.  Not sure there would be anything of interest to me, at least.

(not meant in a snarky way, but you asked)  😉

I certainly see your point.

11 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Interestingly, I am looking to meet family in Italy (Cortona) after the cruise (that's where both my late parents are from).  So, I'm actually looking for a way to get from the Marseille cruise port to Cortona.  Open to suggestions.  Train looks like a bunch of transfers.  Bus?  Maybe!  Flight?  Maybe!

Looks like most transfers are going to be on the leg out of Marseilles. Shortest trip I see is to Milan in just under 9 hours, with two transfers. Marseilles to Rome takes far longer.

There are 'fast' trains from Rome (1:45 to Terontola), but you have to get to Rome. There are also 'fast' trains from Milan (3:20 to Camuchia), but there's a stopover in Florence, and you still have to get to Milan. You'll still need a taxi to Cortona from either of those stations, but Camuchia is closer.

• Like 1

So, I'm in the thick of planning and will do updates here since some of you are doing the same.  Perhaps we can compare notes.

Booking this was something like traversing a roundabout without knowing which exit to get off on.

At first, this trip was supposed to be a family visit with sisters, son, nephews, niece going to visit.  For some (hopefully not me) this will be the last trip to the Mother Land, as age and physical inability will put a damper on another drip of this type.  

As we met to line up the trip to Cortolona we found we could rent the villa where UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN was filmed.  Of course, the females in the group were all over that.  Lining up flights, I noticed they were cheaper at the end of Sept.  Originally, I thought I'd hang out in Rome and drive to Cortolona.  

Then, as I am always looking at cruise deals, wondered if I could do a transatlantic cruise from NYC to the U.K. and catch a flight from U.K. to Cortolona,  Dates didn't line up.  What did line up was the dates on the EPIC from Marseille, but that didn't get me to Cortolona.  But, it did get me within a few hours ride on a train, a plane or a bus.

That's when I started shopping fares on NCL, MSC, Royal and even Oceania.  Oceania really had some  good perks.  But, given they paint themselves as a "luxury" line, the perks I really wanted was going to cost me more, even with an elevated fare structure.  They were crossed off.  MSC has been flaky, at least for me, the last few times I've tried to book.  Long story but, I discounted them almost immediately as a result (plus, their fares at the time weren't all that good).  Royal didn't line up on fares, on itinerary....the just weren't competitive at all.

Back to NCL....They could get me close, and they had FAS, and I get a few "gimmes" as a Sapphire Latitudes.  Fares were quite good.  Originally, family was going to join me, but this trip will have me gone for nearly a month (with the 2 day flights to get there and 2 day flights to get back).  

I'm retired, so can take my time.  Everyone else?  Not so much.  But, in the interim I had plotted out some family sized cabins as a result.  Now that I'm solo (once again), I thought about just flying.  Frankly, I'd be hard pressed to get such a good deal on a cruise, in Europe.  So, I struck while the iron was hot.  I keyed in the the Epic cruise.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

...As we met to line up the trip to Cortolona we found we could rent the villa where UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN was filmed.  Of course, the females in the group were all over that....

LOL!

Wait. Is it Cortona, or Cortolona?

9 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Looks like most transfers are going to be on the leg out of Marseilles. Shortest trip I see is to Milan in just under 9 hours, with two transfers. Marseilles to Rome takes far longer.

There are 'fast' trains from Rome (1:45 to Terontola), but you have to get to Rome. There are also 'fast' trains from Milan (3:20 to Camuchia), but there's a stopover in Florence, and you still have to get to Milan. You'll still need a taxi to Cortona from either of those stations, but Camuchia is closer.

I know.  That's what I'm running into.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to fly from MRS to Florence.  

It's Cortona (spell check insists on changing it).

Edited by graphicguy

This has been going on since April in the planning stages.  Once I decided to cruise, it was "game on".  Been talking a lot about FARES.  I'm nothing if not a cruise fare shopping machine (remember when I said I was retired?).

I wanted to have a balcony, given the beauty of the areas I'm going to be sailing.  

Being on a ship for 11 days, sure would be nice to be in the Haven, given the Epic is supposed to have the best Haven in the entire fleet.  And, it's just been refurbished. My rule of thumb, I shoot for the Haven cabin to be in the mid $4K range.  Nothing...ever.....in the $5K range.  And, that's not per person.  That's all in.  And, for 7 days.  This cruise is 50% longer than that at 11 days.

Now, I'm not sure what's going on with the NCL published fares on line, but my TA can beat them....by A LOT.  

NCL sent me a 20% off Europe Cruise certificate.  That was hot on the heals of the 20% off on an Alaska cruise which I took earlier this year on the Bliss.  That brought up some great deals, but none as good as the Haven fares that I was seeing.  

Armed with my 20% off coupon, my TA found a Haven Spa Suite (H9) for $4,550 with FAS.   TA would kick in $400 off that as part if their commission.  I have no clue what their commission is.  But, if they were kicking in that much. they must pull in a nice amount when booking Haven Suites.  I know how quickly fares can change, so I told her to book it.  I had 4 Cruise next certificates. I could use 2.  So, I did.

So, my out of pocket was just over $4K for the fare.  Add in another $400 for tips, and I'm right there around mid $4K...right in my range.

But wait...there's more.

Keeping an eye on fare drops, I noticed the only open cabins were Haven 2 BR Suites (H6) open, and they weren't much more than the H9 I had booked.

Seriously?  A Solo in a 2 BR Suite with 2 bathrooms?  That's being a lush, isn't it?  Of course it is.

However, the delta between the H9 and H6 is $113....not per person, but total.  

Give up free Thermal Spa with the H9, but get way more room with a Killer bathroom with windows overlooking the water.  And, it's IN the Haven Proper.  

Yeah....I paid the difference and booked it.

Next...that planning of transport, where my hotel is, what excursions, etc.

• Like 13

23 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Probably much faster, but more expensive. I guess I'm somewhat of a romantic, but I think I'd like a train ride through northern Italy. I always enjoyed the trains in Europe.

Believe me.  Those are the same thoughts I'm having!

• Like 1

Given the logistics and the time differences, and the flights, my usual book, pack up roll aboard and leave isn’t going to cut it.  

Marseille is a + 6 hour time difference for me.  Finding a sitter for roughly a month for my beloved Daschund isn’t as easy as having a neighbor watch her for a week.  Family who usually kicks in, is going to be in Italy while I’m gone.  And, I will not put her in a kennel where she’s in a cage most of the time.

Just thinking I probably am going to need a separate camera other than my iPhone given memory requirements.  So, trying to get by as cheaply as possible for a digital camera.  Recommendations welcome.

IMG_1120.jpeg

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 10

Yeah, our kids are still in Dayton, so we don't have our built-in pet sitters anymore either. She's a cutie. Too bad you aren't closer. Our Lab (my avatar) would love to keep her company. The cats????  Ummm, I'm thinking not so much.

image.thumb.png.1f7f7d88a6afc1a435c9a858b797a919.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Planning is part of the fun of cruising, so happy to have an early arm chair for viewing your process. Besides, you can perhaps get some tips on some of those ports from people who have been - as in, do you need a shore excursion for that port, how are NCLs offerings etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The worst part of any vacation is leaving our pets, isn’t it?  I hate leaving my two even though I have a great place for them to stay. A home from home. And I miss them so much when I’m gone. But I’ll still be cruising! 

2 hours ago, LauraAnneC said:

The worst part of any vacation is leaving our pets, isn’t it?  I hate leaving my two even though I have a great place for them to stay. A home from home. And I miss them so much when I’m gone. But I’ll still be cruising! 

Amen!  They’re family!  My son says my doggo replaced him.  I told my son the dog didn’t cost me a private Jesuit school secondary and college education! 😉

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5