Live EPIC Mediterannean 11-Day Cruise from Marseille, France October 2, 2023-with pics!

graphicguy

17 hours ago, LauraAnneC said:

That case is lovely but just be aware if you are travelling on any internal European airlines there is a maximum of 10kg for your carry on. Some airlines are very strict about this.  I looked at the weight of your case and it was over 3 kg, nearer to 4kg I think! Just a word of caution….

Really good point.  Let me check.  Thanks.  I know there’s a 50lb limit before incurring extra baggage fees on Delta, the airline I’m flying.  

May have to look at one of those ultra light weight carry on roll aboard bags (MONOS?).  I fear those might not hold up over time, however.

Still might have to divide up clothes into two bags given those weight limits and check one (which I can do for free since I’m a Million Miler with Delta).  Don’t want to check a bag, given their propensity to lose luggage…especially given I change planes twice each way.

19 hours ago, Travelicious said:

Hey graphicguy!  I'm just finding this thread and am excited to follow along.  We are planning about 7 weeks on 3 different cruises next year.  My 18 year old dog died a month or so ago, and I don't plan to get another until I've got big trips I want to take out of the way.  So that is one thing we won't have to worry about.  Your pup is a cutie!

Oh…that’s so sad.  Lost my much loved Chihuahua to Coyotes last year, which were rampant before my community finally set out traps for them.  That was too little too late.

Swore I’d never get another doggo again.  I have a  friend who volunteers as a transporter for rescues.  There was a big dog hoarding bust by the local game warden a few months ago.  Dogs starving in cages, little water. The warden felt they were going to use the dogs as a puppy mill.

My friend alerted me to my little doggo in the picture (about 10 months old in that pic).  She was skeletal, matted, flea ridden.  Scared so badly she didn’t stop shaking for 3 days.  But, I just fell in love with her.  Got her some medical attention….shots up-to-date.  Gave her a nice bath and a fur cut.  Fed her.  She was spayed last month.  She’s fully removed.  She’s now a happy, bouncy little bundle of happiness.

She’s staying with a neighbor while I’m gone….someone I trust.  No more kennels for her.  

They are family, and I understand where you’re coming from.  But, NEVER is an awfully long time.  Still, I know you’ll have a blast on your cruises.  Hope to hear about each and every one of them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

OMG @graphicguy, what a horrible way to lose your dog!  That had to have been exceedingly traumatizing.  Mine was very old, nearly blind, but doing pretty well with a great appetite until one day he seemingly had a stroke and was just flinging himself around, hitting the ground face first.  Although the vet said they could try some things and he might get better in a few months (after a stay in the hospital), I felt it was his time and that it was best to have him euthanized.  

That's a great rescue story of you new dog though.  I'm glad you have someone you trust to care for her so you can enjoy yourself.  I never boarded mine either.  I fully intend to get another, but probably not for 4 or 5 years, as we've got some big, long trips in mind (I'm retired and the wife will retire next February).  This includes the 7 weeks in Europe next year.  After I get the long ones out of the way, I'll see about getting a small dog to grow old with.  A rescue, preferably.

Anyway, back to regularly scheduled programming.  I'm looking forward to following along.  We did a similar itinerary on the Epic last fall.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Travelicious said:

OMG @graphicguy, what a horrible way to lose your dog!  That had to have been exceedingly traumatizing.  Mine was very old, nearly blind, but doing pretty well with a great appetite until one day he seemingly had a stroke and was just flinging himself around, hitting the ground face first.  Although the vet said they could try some things and he might get better in a few months (after a stay in the hospital), I felt it was his time and that it was best to have him euthanized.  

That's a great rescue story of you new dog though.  I'm glad you have someone you trust to care for her so you can enjoy yourself.  I never boarded mine either.  I fully intend to get another, but probably not for 4 or 5 years, as we've got some big, long trips in mind (I'm retired and the wife will retire next February).  This includes the 7 weeks in Europe next year.  After I get the long ones out of the way, I'll see about getting a small dog to grow old with.  A rescue, preferably.

Anyway, back to regularly scheduled programming.  I'm looking forward to following along.  We did a similar itinerary on the Epic last fall.

Yeah...tough time for the old GG household when that happened.  Game Warden found and returned the remains of my beloved Chihuahua.  It was not pretty and still breaks my heart knowing how he died.  Sticks with me.

Your pup suffered something different, but no less devastating.  So, you understand.

As you found, it's like a family member who just slips away from your life.  And, heart breaking when you finally have to admit to the inevitable.  

You know how rescues are.  They are just so thankful to be with the person who rescued them.  Personally, I think they're more loving and appreciative.

I have a couple more cruise next certificates left.  Thinking I want to try either the Viva or Prima.  Won't be this year.   Maybe check out Northern Europe as I've been fascinated by @YVRteacher review.  She is not too thrilled with the food on board, but the pics look amazing. 

This cruise will be the last for me in 2023.  Holidays will be upon me when I return at the end of October.  

7 weeks next year?  Good for you!!!!!!!

I think I'm going to use NCL's excursions.  Any excursion recommendations given you sailed the Epic on this itinerary?

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I have a couple more cruise next certificates left.  Thinking I want to try either the Viva or Prima.  Won't be this year.   Maybe check out Northern Europe as I've been fascinated by @YVRteacher review.  She is not too thrilled with the food on board, but the pics look amazing. 

We are going on the April 27 transatlantic on the Prima, then the May 13 sailing of the Getaway, then the May 27 sailing of the Dawn.  Other than Reykjavik, we have none of the same ports as YVRTeacher, but still lots of great ports that we have not visited before.  Of course, we will be at some ports, such as Le Havre, Amsterdam and Zeebrugge 3 different times, but that is okay.  We can either do something different or have a rest day for some of those stops.  We'll spend a couple of nights in Stockholm before finally flying home on June 8.

Even without a pet, I do have an issue that we are going to recruit several people to help with due to the time of year.  I had an inground pool installed several years ago, and if it is not uncovered until we get home I fear it will be all green and funky.  We usually open it around the second or third week of May.  Anyway, I think we are going to open it before we leave, teach the 3 people we have in mind how to clean and care for it (in exchange for them being able to use it and stay at the house some if they want), which is easy, and put them in touch with each other to coordinate.  If it could be checked twice a week that would probably be fine.

I'll look back at our schedule for the Med cruise and let you know if there are any suggestions.  I don't think we did anything through NCL because they are so high and crowded, but if you are getting $100 off it may be best for you.

2 hours ago, Travelicious said:

We are going on the April 27 transatlantic on the Prima, then the May 13 sailing of the Getaway, then the May 27 sailing of the Dawn.  Other than Reykjavik, we have none of the same ports as YVRTeacher, but still lots of great ports that we have not visited before.  Of course, we will be at some ports, such as Le Havre, Amsterdam and Zeebrugge 3 different times, but that is okay.  We can either do something different or have a rest day for some of those stops.  We'll spend a couple of nights in Stockholm before finally flying home on June 8.

Even without a pet, I do have an issue that we are going to recruit several people to help with due to the time of year.  I had an inground pool installed several years ago, and if it is not uncovered until we get home I fear it will be all green and funky.  We usually open it around the second or third week of May.  Anyway, I think we are going to open it before we leave, teach the 3 people we have in mind how to clean and care for it (in exchange for them being able to use it and stay at the house some if they want), which is easy, and put them in touch with each other to coordinate.  If it could be checked twice a week that would probably be fine.

I'll look back at our schedule for the Med cruise and let you know if there are any suggestions.  I don't think we did anything through NCL because they are so high and crowded, but if you are getting $100 off it may be best for you.

Thanks.  I would love to hear of your impressions of the Prima.  Most of the ones I've read from reviewers I trust (Bird and Syd) have been positive.  Saw some grumblings from others, but hard to tell if they were just complaining because the concept was different, or there were really issues.  Usually, I lean towards the reviews of those who have been here for a while and are able to give their impressions based on sailing different cruise lines.

Still on the fence about the $100 excursion credits from NCL.  They said they'd adhere to it, and I have it in writing.  But, cruise lines in general aren't known for even sticking to their own promises.  So, looking for back ups.  Although, having NCL handle all the planning is appealing.

Just looked at my sailing.  Haven is sold out.  So, no further price drops for me.  I'm OK with that.  Feel I scored a great deal when I booked (which is why I booked it).

Unbelievably, the regular Spa Cabins are going for roughly 2x the cost of my Haven 2BR.  The Balcony and Club Balcony cabins are going for about what I paid for my cabin.  Studio Cabins are sold out and Inside cabins are going for about $2,600...and that's for Sailaway rates.  

Those fares accelerated quickly from where they were in June.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Still on the fence about the $100 excursion credits from NCL.  They said they'd adhere to it, and I have it in writing.  But, cruise lines in general aren't known for even sticking to their own promises.  So, looking for back ups.  Although, having NCL handle all the planning is appealing.

We used two good companies for most excursions.  They have rave reviews and very reasonable prices, but may not offer exactly what you want at each place.  In Barcelona, which was where we embarked, we did Barcelona & Montserrat tour (99 Euros pp) with Barcelona Day Tours, otherwise called Spain Day Tours.  I think they may actually be the same company as the other, Italy Tours.  Anyway, it gave us a good overview of the City, taking us into Parc Guell and dropping us at Sagrada Familia.  They can get the tickets to go inside if you want. We also went to Montserrat, which I loved. We did this on a day before the cruise started, so I'm not sure if they offer pick-up and drop-off at the cruise terminal, but I feel certain they do. 

With Italy Tours, we did The Best of the French Riviera from Cannes for 89 Euros pp, Pisa and Lucca from Livorno for $79 pp, and Naples, Sorrento and Positano from Naples for 69 Euros pp.  These were all in vans that hold only 8 passengers.  They were good tours.  You might want to give them a look just to see if they offer what you are looking for at a lower cost even with NCL discounts.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, graphicguy said:

My friend alerted me to my little doggo in the picture (about 10 months old in that pic).  She was skeletal, matted, flea ridden.  Scared so badly she didn’t stop shaking for 3 days.  But, I just fell in love with her.  Got her some medical attention….shots up-to-date.  Gave her a nice bath and a fur cut.  Fed her.  She was spayed last month.  She’s fully removed.  She’s now a happy, bouncy little bundle of happiness.

She’s staying with a neighbor while I’m gone….someone I trust.  No more kennels for her.  

Just wanted to thank you for adopting and saving the life of a doggy!

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Travelicious said:

We used two good companies for most excursions.  They have rave reviews and very reasonable prices, but may not offer exactly what you want at each place.  In Barcelona, which was where we embarked, we did Barcelona & Montserrat tour (99 Euros pp) with Barcelona Day Tours, otherwise called Spain Day Tours.  I think they may actually be the same company as the other, Italy Tours.  Anyway, it gave us a good overview of the City, taking us into Parc Guell and dropping us at Sagrada Familia.  They can get the tickets to go inside if you want. We also went to Montserrat, which I loved. We did this on a day before the cruise started, so I'm not sure if they offer pick-up and drop-off at the cruise terminal, but I feel certain they do. 

Thank you for this! I just reached out to Spain Day Tours to find out about their private tour options. They sent me a very, very lengthy email back with all my options. I kind of felt like I wrote the email with how long it was. This was a good thing to me! I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with them as we're also looking at the Barcelona tours. I'm not so sure I want to spend the time going to Montserrat. It seems like it's a pretty decent drive when we could just hang out in Barcelona. We're only there for one full day, plus two half days on either side.

Anyway, thanks for mentioning this company!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm not so sure I want to spend the time going to Montserrat. It seems like it's a pretty decent drive when we could just hang out in Barcelona. We're only there for one full day, plus two half days on either side.

It was a pretty long drive - maybe an hour or so each way.  Both Spain (Barcelona) Day Tours and Italy Tours are very responsive and, yes, provide a lot of information.  I believe the Barcelona tour was on a larger bus which wasn't completely full on our tour, but did have more than 8 passengers.  Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2023 at 1:01 PM, cruiseny4life said:

Thank you for this! I just reached out to Spain Day Tours to find out about their private tour options. They sent me a very, very lengthy email back with all my options. I kind of felt like I wrote the email with how long it was. This was a good thing to me! I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with them as we're also looking at the Barcelona tours. I'm not so sure I want to spend the time going to Montserrat. It seems like it's a pretty decent drive when we could just hang out in Barcelona. We're only there for one full day, plus two half days on either side.

Anyway, thanks for mentioning this company!

Am going through the same decision process.  Not sure I want to be on a bus for that Monsterrat tour.  Have you made a decision?  Is the name of the company "Spain Day Tours"?

TIA!

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Am going through the same decision process.  Not sure I want to be on a bus for that Monsterrat tour.  Have you made a decision?  Is the name of the company "Spain Day Tours"?

TIA!

It is Spain Day Tours. They seem to be very highly recommended by many folks on Cruise Critic. Certainly the level of detail in the email they sent me (even if it was a copy/paste template) was helpful. I like having too much information, rather than little. You probably figured that out about me already. 

I did just find out about a town about an hour north of Barcelona on the coast, so maybe west? It's named Tarragona and has a bunch of old Roman ruins, including an aqueduct! The private tour cost through a different company (Forever Barcelona) is quite high at 825 Euro for just a driver and six hours. That's a bit steep for us for four hours of exploration and two hours of ride time. I'm still researching as I really want to go there now that I've seen the ruins. 

But again...that hour drive seems to be present wherever I want to go. At the end of the day, we may just stay in Barcelona. There's certainly plenty to see over two days there!

18 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

It is Spain Day Tours. They seem to be very highly recommended by many folks on Cruise Critic. Certainly the level of detail in the email they sent me (even if it was a copy/paste template) was helpful. I like having too much information, rather than little. You probably figured that out about me already. 

I did just find out about a town about an hour north of Barcelona on the coast, so maybe west? It's named Tarragona and has a bunch of old Roman ruins, including an aqueduct! The private tour cost through a different company (Forever Barcelona) is quite high at 825 Euro for just a driver and six hours. That's a bit steep for us for four hours of exploration and two hours of ride time. I'm still researching as I really want to go there now that I've seen the ruins. 

But again...that hour drive seems to be present wherever I want to go. At the end of the day, we may just stay in Barcelona. There's certainly plenty to see over two days there!

Thanks!  Kind of feeling the same.  There’s certainly plenty to explore in Barcelona.  3rd party tours in Spain, France and Italy seem to be pricey.  

@graphicguy and @cruiseny4life  we used Spain Day Tour in May, recommended by many on CC & TripAdvisors - fellow roll call members already booked them & we joined them for the semi-private tour ... private tours are customized based on your preference & POI of interest for your specific date, taking into account local/regional holidays, external issues like labor & transport, etc.  For smaller semi-private tour of no more than 6 to 8, typically a large Benz hi-top van is used, leather seating & fully air conditioned, plenty of storage for luggage in the rear ... and for the larger semi-private tour, mini bus with seating for up to 20 - 25 pax, but typically no more than 12 to 15, lots of room to move around (did the half day BCN city tour with only 8 or 9 of us, apparently 2 or 3 paid for but cancelled, unable to go for whatever reasons - still dispatch the mini-bus with driver & guide)   That was, the day after we disembarked in BCN off the Epic, they picked us all up from our hotels & then hop from scenie stops, one after another, stopping & sometimes letting everyone off to take photos, stretch legs and look around - group's admission tickets were advance purchased for us to skip the lines ... we got a great snapshot of the beautiful city in 5 hours, then - dropping us / rest of group separately at our preferred location (4 of them had timed tickets to go inside the famous church in the afternoon - taxis afterward for them reimbursed back to their hotel, up to 15 Euro)  We asked to be dropped off near La Rambla near Catalunya ... for a bit of shopping, photos & then did a nice Tapas lunch (yummy good & inexpensive) near the University while walking back to our hotel, an easy 10 - 15 minutes. 

Be sure to pack comfortable walking shoes, especially if you are going to do Montseratt monastery with the Black Virgin Mary on the hilltop, reached by funicular cable car.  Our was a 5 hour tour or half day, the full day tour has the additional stop or visit to a winery with complimentary samples, light lunch included as I recall.  The trip was well worth it - we could've used more time to see it more, can easily spend 3/4 of a day there, cafeteria / food court on site.  It's possible to do this yourself, plan ahead & coordinate the train/transfers needed - scenic cable ride from a lower train station up to the monastery is an option, and, return at your own leisure ... just be sure to reserved timed admission ticket, required for part of the vast complexes.  Although, by mid November ... should be off and/or shoulder season, less crowded.  

Check & compare options and prices, email them & they are very good and responsive, might take a few days for a detailed response as this is the busiest time of the year.  As a matter of fact, we are probably going to book at least 1 tour with them ahead, will be in BCN for several days before embarking again ... leave the driving & securing any admission tickets for them to handle.  They will basically pick up and drop off nearly anywhere reasonably within the city, including the airport and cruise terminal, securely storing the luggage.  

On our end, multiple countdowns going on, 2 of them already dancing (similar to you) double digits ... just booked the one & only Onboard Entertainment available next month.  A related note, careful if transiting thru EU airports like Lisbon, depending on flight routing, as the gate dragons are known to be sometimes rather strict with carry-ons, limiting to 10 kg or 22 lbs combined max plus a small personal bag at 4 lbs. Leaving the full sized eBags MotherLode convertible backpack/carry-on & sticking with the convertible "junior" as that'll help keep the bag to under 22 lbs ... vs. a smaller rollberboard or spinner.  Flying out & ticketed in Comfort (economy) Plus for the 6:40 flight as I can use the "extra" legroom to stretch, plus the more generous luggage allowance & probably won't get stopped for our carry-ons with priority / early boarding.  

P.S.  Tour prices have gone up since the beginning of the year, just checked BDT ... theirs are higher, but not bad & still less than what shorex will likely cost - if offered & that's "ride-sharing" on a full size coach with 40 to 50 "comrades" from the ship.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 3

We did La Sagrada Familia on our own.  Took the subway from Plaza Catalunya to the church…very easy.  We purchased tickets in advance that included the church, self guided audio tour and one of the towers (we picked the one that overlooks the old side…don’t remember the name).  There is also a Picasso museum that we enjoyed visiting within walking distance from the Gothic Quarter.  And you must check out the La Boqueria on LaRambla…yum.

Also, we loved Prima…maybe our favorite ship.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Thanks 2

GREAT suggestions @Travelicious @mking8288 and @laudergayle.  Thanks!

I'll check them out.  Mentioned previously, NCL is letting me double up on the Excursion Credit on the FAS+ upgrade.  But, by doing that, I can't make any excursion plans until I'm already on board.

Edited by graphicguy

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

GREAT suggestions @mking8288 and @laudergayle

I'll check them out.  Mentioned previously, NCL is letting me double up on the Excursion Credit on the FAS+ upgrade.  But, by doing that, I can't make any excursion plans until I'm already on board.

Curious…why can’t you book now using one credit, then on board work with the excursion desk to get your second credit.  They should credit back your onboard account for what you already charged, which you can then cash out before end of cruise.  Or, use that credit towards CN certs.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

GREAT suggestions @Travelicious @mking8288 and @laudergayle.  Thanks!

If that is so, you may miss out on what you want due to being sold out.  When I've booked NCL excursions before boarding, the excursion credit and Sapphire discount are automatically applied.  Not sure how that would work with the double-up, but maybe you can get the concierge involved to help you book before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Travelicious said:

If that is so, you may miss out on what you want due to being sold out.  When I've booked NCL excursions before boarding, the excursion credit and Sapphire discount are automatically applied.  Not sure how that would work with the double-up, but maybe you can get the concierge involved to help you book before.

Great idea.  I'll call them Monday!  THX!