Alcohol policy

I just got my last minute instructions and warnings for my Carnival cruise next week from Sydney.  Among other things, it says "No alcohol can be brought on board".  That conflicts with other information I have that says that a passenger can bring one bottle of wine/champagne on board on embarkation. I'm not sure where I got this information. Can someone point me to the official source?

3 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I just got my last minute instructions and warnings for my Carnival cruise next week from Sydney.  Among other things, it says "No alcohol can be brought on board".  That conflicts with other information I have that says that a passenger can bring one bottle of wine/champagne on board on embarkation. I'm not sure where I got this information. Can someone point me to the official source?

We were also told this boarding in Brisbane earlier this year.  This message was not given to the Americans as most of them boarded with a bottle or two of wine.  They told us that is was an "Australian rule" but it wasnt.

Edited by Janet&Carl

I have now found the source of my understanding that I was allowed to bring one bottle. It's in the Carnival Help page on the .au website.

https://help.carnival.com.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/53/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy

It seems that wine is not 'alcohol' according to Carnival. They define it as 'hard liquor'.  So I guess the information they send to passengers right before embarkation conflicts with that. I will take my one bottle of wine and see what happens.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I have now found the source of my understanding that I was allowed to bring one bottle. It's in the Carnival Help page on the .au website.

https://help.carnival.com.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/53/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy

It seems that wine is not 'alcohol' according to Carnival. They define it as 'hard liquor'.  So I guess the information they send to passengers right before embarkation conflicts with that. I will take my one bottle of wine and see what happens.

Carnival have recently updated to this in Australia, a few months back. When Carnival arrived to base Spirit here, they took on P&O's policy. Since restart, the Australian cruises aren't being run separately from Carnival.com, so they needed to align more closely with what the rest of their fleet is doing. A similar alignment has happened around military OBC. Dropping the separate Aussie operation has been great, as their are lots more Carnival cruisers coming over from the US to cruise here.

They have updated their FAQ, but not the email communication. At last check, their cruise passage policy document hasn't been updated either. You will be OK, they just haven't dotted all their i's.

Funny now. You can bring a bottle of wine aboard, but not a bottle of water. You can't take bottles of water aboard because people have been caught out having them refilled with vodka. Now you can refill a wine bottle instead.

Edited by arxcards
wrong tense
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

This is where you got the info, way back in June. At that stage, even their FAQ was out of date.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, arxcards said:

They have updated their FAQ, but not the email communication

Yes, that's what I believe also.   I knew I had seen it somewhere 'official', not just a comment on CC.

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

I am interested in the outcome. Please keep us informed.

I'll write a trip report after my Pacific islands cruise ends. My first time on Carnival. I'm trying all the more affordable cruise lines out. Have already been warned about Splendor's eye popping decor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Was just on Splendor from Sydney, took two bottles, one each and daughter carried one on as well. All in carry on, none of us were asked to take it out to check etc, through scanner and on our way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Yes, that's what I believe also.   I knew I had seen it somewhere 'official', not just a comment on CC.

I'll write a trip report after my Pacific islands cruise ends. My first time on Carnival. I'm trying all the more affordable cruise lines out. Have already been warned about Splendor's eye popping decor.

"Eye popping" a polite way to describe it. 
I reckon the interior designer was an absolute genius if they convinced someone to pay them for that decor. 🤣🤣😁

• Haha 1

I got into trouble taking cartons of water onboard Carnival Spirit pre covid.  I argued that the rules said that plastic or glass bottles were not allowed but I had cartons of water and so this was ok.  After a while the guy gave up on arguing with this crazy oldie and let me through.

Prohibited Items:

1. Alcohol (hard liquor) and beer
  2. Wine or champagne beyond the allowable limit of one 750 ml bottle per adult (18 years of age or older)
  3. Non-alcoholic beverages in containers other than a can or carton; excessive quantities per person (over 12 cans/cartons per person); exessive size per can/carton (over 375 ml each)
Can I bring a bottle of water?

Carnival's Liquor and Beverage policy states that the guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packed in bottles.

What is Carnival's liquor and beverage policy?

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages that are packaged in glass or plastic bottles.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

Funny now. You can bring a bottle of wine aboard, but not a bottle of water. You can't take bottles of water aboard because people have been caught out having them refilled with vodka. Now you can refill a wine bottle instead.

Don't give them any ideas.

2 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Eye popping" a polite way to describe it. 
I reckon the interior designer was an absolute genius if they convinced someone to pay them for that decor.

After the relatively conventional glamour decor on Princess and HAL, it is certainly going to be different. I have watched a You Tube walk through of the ship to prepare myself. 

Edited by cruiser3775

Splendor isn't a standalone, as it is a tradition for Carnival to have a bold mix of décor on their fleet. When on Spirit a few years back, I thought they had put the design out for tender but couldn't decide on a winner, so chose them all.

Enjoy your cruise on the Pink Lady.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Splendor isn't a standalone, as it is a tradition for Carnival to have a bold mix of décor on their fleet. When on Spirit a few years back, I thought they had put the design out for tender but couldn't decide on a winner, so chose them all.

Enjoy your cruise on the Pink Lady.

It was the urns on Legend that cracked us up! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I disembarked today from Splendour - it certainly was an experience!

Unfortunately I forgot it was school holidays and the ship was full, including lots of large family groups (mum and dad, the kids, grandparents and cousins etc). I was quite interested in the pax demographics - there seemed to be 4 distinct groups a) younger people travelling with friends b) young families (with very young children - toddlers and the like) c) families with older or teenage children and d) much older (as in elderly) couples. Also a lot of first time cruisers

There were some things I really liked but there were aspects that showed this is a 'budget' line in many ways.

And as mentioned upthread, the decor is a sight to behold! 

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

It seems that wine is not 'alcohol' according to Carnival. They define it as 'hard liquor'. 

Just thinking how that would go down if you were a driver pulled over by police and tested. "Sorry, officer, I only had six glasses of wine and that is not alcohol"?

16 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

There were some things I really liked but there were aspects that showed this is a 'budget' line in many ways.

Would you like to explain that a bit more? Sure to be useful information for upcoming cruisers like me.

• Like 1