Semi-live review - Reflection 10 nights Malta and Greek Islands - 17 July 2023

Les43

On 7/17/2023 at 10:27 AM, ladylemondrop said:

Oooo that lovely oversized comfy lounger on the balcony! I loved that so much, I am not sure it is still on other ships now that they have been 'revolutionised' (ruined) When will Celebrity realise COMFORT is everything for a holiday, not 'style'  ....

I wish ALL the cruise lines would realize this!!

4 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

If I might ask - How many Chic nights did they have on your cruise?

They had 2. The first was on the first sea day (the Tuesday) and the 2nd was on the second sea day which was the following Monday. 

Thanks for your review @Les43 Hope you’re enjoying the cooler weather back home now! We’re sailing on Reflection soon and disembarking in Barcelona too. We’re heading to a hotel, so can choose our own departure time. Do you know what the last time for departing was?? Many thanks 😊 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JintyGirl said:

Thanks for your review @Les43 Hope you’re enjoying the cooler weather back home now! We’re sailing on Reflection soon and disembarking in Barcelona too. We’re heading to a hotel, so can choose our own departure time. Do you know what the last time for departing was?? Many thanks 😊 

I think last time to depart was around 9am. You can pay to stay onboard in public areas, I think until around 10.30. It will come up under ‘excursions’ close to your date to sail. Have a great time!

• Like 1

Hi there

Thanks for all the information, I found it really useful, we’re doing the same cruise next week with out family of 6, 2 older teens and two young adults and ourselves

As a first time cruiser, could I ask a couple of questions, I’m bamboozled at the amount of information available.

We have quite a bit of OBC, c2000, I don’t think we’ll be taking cruise trips, we’re all good travellers and used to figuring things out and they seem really expensive particularly x 6,  nor will we be doing much/any shopping etc onboard so I think we’ll likely spend it on speciality dining and drinks etc for the 4 kids, we have a basic package.

There doesn’t seem to be an option for a 2/3 night speciality one available and 4 seems too much. I booked a night 1 speciality but wondering are they likely to offer specials while we are on board or am I better to do in advance?

Also I’m not the best sea traveler, past experience of Dublin Holyhead ferry likely, we are all on deck 7 midship, balcony cabins and hoping vibrations will be ok as likely to make me queasy? 

and finally, we have taxi booked at 12 from rome to port, should I make that earlier?

Thanks a mil. 

5 hours ago, mhgol said:

We have quite a bit of OBC, c2000, I don’t think we’ll be taking cruise trips, we’re all good travellers and used to figuring things out and they seem really expensive particularly x 6,  nor will we be doing much/any shopping etc onboard so I think we’ll likely spend it on speciality dining and drinks etc for the 4 kids, we have a basic package.

There doesn’t seem to be an option for a 2/3 night speciality one available and 4 seems too much. I booked a night 1 speciality but wondering are they likely to offer specials while we are on board or am I better to do in advance?

Also I’m not the best sea traveler, past experience of Dublin Holyhead ferry likely, we are all on deck 7 midship, balcony cabins and hoping vibrations will be ok as likely to make me queasy? 

and finally, we have taxi booked at 12 from rome to port, should I make that earlier?

Thanks a mil. 

Celebrity in the Med should be a lot calmer than Holyhead ferry across Irish Sea!

Regarding arrival time, a taxi should take 1 - 1.5 hrs from Rome.  What time will hotel ask you to check out?  No point hanging around Rome hotel when all that free food and drink is waiting at the port 🙂

I'm not sure about offers on speciality dining.  Can you use OBC to book things before you board?  I'm not sure (Princess let you P&O don't).  Anyway you have plenty OBC to spend, enjoy it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mhgol said:

Hi there

Thanks for all the information, I found it really useful, we’re doing the same cruise next week with out family of 6, 2 older teens and two young adults and ourselves

As a first time cruiser, could I ask a couple of questions, I’m bamboozled at the amount of information available.

Thanks a mil. 

Hey! Thanks for the questions. Celebrity usually do some special offers for speciality dining while on board and we found they often asked if we would be interested. I would be inclined to wait until you board to see what you fancy. 

Our cabin was deck 10 midship and we could feel the vibration at some points. It’s didn’t really bother us though. The only time the sea was not flat calm was on the last sea day as we made our way from Malta to Barcelona. It was quite windy and the sea was a bit rough although nothing too bad. You can get sea sickness meds in the shop on board if you feel it while you are on the ship. 

Our taxi from Rome to ship took approximately 1 hour 20 mins although that was just after 9 in the morning. The journey depends on traffic at that time. I always like to get there early and so had booked the earliest arrival slot. Your timing will be fine to get there before the final call but I personally prefer to get there and have lunch onboard. 

hope this helps and have a fantastic cruise!

• Like 1

I too remember the Holyhead ferry when I was a child. Rivers of v…t on the stairs.  My mother has refused to cruise because of her multiple sailings in the 50/60/70s on the Irish Sea. Sailing on the Beyond will not bear any comparison. Arguably the bacon was better on the ferry though.

Celebrity is easier to use OBC than Princess - tours, dining, upgrading packages. If you want a ‘premium’ gin on a basic package you can use OBC as the difference. The rooftop grill maybe nice if you have an overnight. 

21 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

I too remember the Holyhead ferry when I was a child. Rivers of v…t on the stairs.  My mother has refused to cruise because of her multiple sailings in the 50/60/70s on the Irish Sea. Sailing on the Beyond will not bear any comparison. Arguably the bacon was better on the ferry though.

Celebrity is easier to use OBC than Princess - tours, dining, upgrading packages. If you want a ‘premium’ gin on a basic package you can use OBC as the difference. The rooftop grill maybe nice if you have an overnight. 

I recall when they brought The St Columba ferry on the route. At least she had stabilisers 

Thank you for your amazing review~ I'm on a similar cruise in early October so it was fun to follow along!

And when you were on your cruise I was in Scotland visiting a teacher friend of mine who's there for the summer. I just have to say you live in the BEST place in the world-- its so gorgeous and people are so warm and nice. Scotland is just a treasure! 

Best,

Aimee

1 hour ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I also thank you for the thorough review.  I wanted to ask if they had a “White” party on this cruise.  I am starting to pack for the same cruise and was curious.

Yes they did. I think it was on the Monday night after Malta so day 8- to coincide with the full moon. It appeared on the app just before the start of the cruise. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sheltielover73 said:

Thank you for your amazing review~ I'm on a similar cruise in early October so it was fun to follow along!

And when you were on your cruise I was in Scotland visiting a teacher friend of mine who's there for the summer. I just have to say you live in the BEST place in the world-- its so gorgeous and people are so warm and nice. Scotland is just a treasure! 

Best,

Aimee

Thank you and I’m really glad you enjoyed. Glad you liked our beautiful country too. It is a fantastic place to live and perhaps we do take it for granted! 

• Like 2

On 8/7/2023 at 6:55 AM, mhgol said:

Hi there

Thanks a mil. 

I think a four night dining package would be great, the speciality restaurants are really worth trying, at least one time each! Muranos is really special, we have to go at least twice to enjoy all the dishes, tuscan is good, lawn club grill is always a huge favourite with us and the kids, and Petit chef is unique and fun.  

I also echo comments about getting there earlier.

Have a great time. This report has given a great view of what you have to look forward to! 

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, njmcm2000 said:

Sorry if already asked/answered: As a Retreat guest would you have to pay extra to use any of the specialty restaurants, like the Tuscan Grill, if you wanted to go there instead of Luminae or the MDR? TIA. 

Yes you do if you are in a ‘lower’ suite such as a Sky suite or Celebrity Suite. The ‘higher’ suites have complimentary access

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 12:57 AM, hawkesbaynz said:

The Cork-Swansea ferry.

If you know, you know. 🤮