Help, first time Viking cruise. Need to decide on room

Thegumars8

And back to the walking tours … they won’t give you much exercise, but can be very enjoyable. Also, you can always leave the group if it’s not to your liking. Just tell the guide.

9 minutes ago, Thegumars8 said:

I am actually thinking we may book our own excursions anyways-which makes me wonder if we are crazy to pay for Viking. We are 48/55 years old, bodybuilders and very very active. I have read that Viking excursions are heavily bus tours with minimal walking-this is NOT going to work for us. While we love the idea of the age /maturity/laid back vibe of Viking and the luxury (and money isn't a big issue) , we don't love excursions that aren't active.

What tours have you looked at? There are plenty of “active” tours on each itinerary. And if you don’t see one you like, you can book your own. We always do a combination when cruising—one or two included, a couple optional, & booking our own. There are reviews all over the place of the Viking excursions, as well as reviews of 3rd party excursions in each port.

21 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

What tours have you looked at? There are plenty of “active” tours on each itinerary. And if you don’t see one you like, you can book your own. We always do a combination when cruising—one or two included, a couple optional, & booking our own. There are reviews all over the place of the Viking excursions, as well as reviews of 3rd party excursions in each port.

I think the Viking active excursions are the ones that sell out quickest.

Thegumars8, have you looked at the tours already posted for the itinerary you’re looking at? If one REALLY floats your boat, then I would consider the highest category stateroom. On my recent Scenic Scandinavia, the tour that seemed to sell out quickest was a private boat tour of islands, with a special stop that I believe is only offered to Viking guests. Not necessarily active, but very special. Bikes and kayaking seem to sell out quickly, also.

Edited by May B

53 minutes ago, May B said:

On our recent Scenic Scandinavia, the included tour was a walking tour in six of our ports, iirc. We took three and did our own thing in the other three. Two of the other ports had a panoramic (the bus tour), and ne just had one stop, but a nice one. The other had three stops, all good, for three totally different reasons.

There are often shuttles into “town”, which help get you started. We had no trouble being on the first bus, for the two where it was useful. In fact, if you attend the port/shore excursion talk (or watch it on t.v.), it can help you solidify or tweak your plans.

There’s much more to Viking than an included tour every day.

Check out the other differences between stateroom categories, be sure you understand what is and isn’t included in your cruise price, and compare other lines, if that will help you decide. And have FUN … deciding, planning, cruising!

Thank you for this advice!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, May B said:

I think the Viking active excursions are the ones that sell out quickest.

Thegumars8, have you looked at the tours already posted for the itinerary you’re looking at? If one REALLY floats your boat, then I would consider the highest category stateroom. On my recent Scenic Scandinavia, the tour that seemed to sell out quickest was a private boat tour of islands, with a special stop that I believe is only offered to Viking guests. Not necessarily active, but very special. Bikes and kayaking seem to sell out quickly, also.

I look at excursions and it says none are available, wasn't sure if it was because it's too early 

2 minutes ago, Thegumars8 said:

I look at excursions and it says none are available, wasn't sure if it was because it's too early 

Go back and look under Itinerary, on the cruise that appeals to you. Then at the first port, click on the arrow to the right. After that, it’s easy to go day by day. It’s fun!

Even though Mr B isn’t willing to talk about Dec. of 2024, I’ve looked at every single port! Things can change, of course, but it gives you a nice rough idea.

Edited by May B

40 minutes ago, May B said:

Go back and look under Itinerary, on the cruise that appeals to you. Then at the first port, click on the arrow to the right. After that, it’s easy to go day by day. It’s fun!

Even though Mr B isn’t willing to talk about Dec. of 2024, I’ve looked at every single port! Things can change, of course, but it gives you a nice rough idea.

Thank you! I got it and this is going to help so much 

Edited by Thegumars8
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Thegumars8 said:

I must be clueless. I do t see where I can click on excursions anywhere. 

Don’t look on MVJ, they won’t be up yet.  Go to the Viking website and pull up the cruise you are interested in.  Then hit the itinerary tab on the left, and scroll down day be day to see a description of what might be offered.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thegumars8 said:

I am actually thinking we may book our own excursions anyways-which makes me wonder if we are crazy to pay for Viking. We are 48/55 years old, bodybuilders and very very active. I have read that Viking excursions are heavily bus tours with minimal walking-this is NOT going to work for us. While we love the idea of the age /maturity/laid back vibe of Viking and the luxury (and money isn't a big issue) , we don't love excursions that aren't active.

Which  itinerary are you booking ? As others here said, there are many active excursions  on most cruises. 

I too took the Scenic Scandinavia cruise in June.  They had hiking, kayaking and bike tours  besides the walking or bus tour excursions.

The bike  excursion was filled when we were in Bornholm Denmark.

A passenger had  contacted a local bike shop and five bikes were delivered to the  pier for passenger and his friends to  bike on the island for the day.  

Thank you for all the help. After looking at a sample of excursions being offered on the cruise we were looking at, and weighing in cost and what we really found important to see, we have decided not to do this as a cruise and instead do private touring of the three countries we most want to visit

• Like 2

Just now, Thegumars8 said:

Thank you for all the help. After looking at a sample of excursions being offered on the cruise we were looking at, and weighing in cost and what we really found important to see, we have decided not to do this as a cruise and instead do private touring of the three countries we most want to visit

Have a blast!

• Thanks 1