Cold weather ships?

Just like the title says, given the recent. Omplaints about Prima not having enough interior spaces for cold weather, which ships are better?if you have experience on other lines too I would be interested in hearing, I have heard that Royal and Majestic Princess are not so great either. 

Thank you in advance!

IMHO - The newer Royal Class Princess ships are great for cold weather, as they don't have that many places to be outside, unlike other lines (only the top deck lido deck, which is sheltered).  They are more inward looking/sitting than outside.

I've only sailed the larger Breakaway+ class ships, and most of those were setup for Alaskan Cruising (specifically Encore and Bliss I think) with their large Observations Lounges for inside viewing.  

Holland America ships are more open, but they can close the entire pool area

on the lido, so that is a bonus in cold weather.

Edited by scooter6139
  • Like 1

From NCL - Bliss and Encore were pretty much designed with Alaska in mind, Joy can maybe count as well (it was originally designed/decorated for the Asia market).  The gorgeous Observation Lounge (all 3 have it) is a great place to take in scenery.  The Waterfront has heaters in the ceiling over the dining (and maybe sitting) areas.

Royal Caribbean has ships with enclosed solariums, which may make them more desirable to some for cold weather itineraries.

I guess it depends on if you want to just sit inside or if you want to be in your swimwear, inside, near a swimming feature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On NCL, the Joy/Bliss/Encore are best suited for cold weather, though the Jewel class ships also have the Spinnaker Lounges, which are good places to hang out when it is cold out.

For RCCL, the Quantum class ships are well suited for cold weather, as they have covered pools, a Solarium, and lots of indoor activities. The 270 space also offers great views during the day.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, lorif said:

I was on a HAL Norway cruise a few years ago and there were very nice blankets in each cabin meant for sitting on the deck chairs on the balcony.  Does NCL have this? 

Ships in the Alaskan market are supposed to have them,,, but people keep taking them home. 

We were on the Encore in 2021 and they had some lovely, plush deck blankets. We were on the Encore a couple of weeks ago and there were none.... in steerage. I found a hiding place in the Haven and took a couple back to our cabin for warm balcony viewing. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Ships in the Alaskan market are supposed to have them,,, but people keep taking them home. 

We were on the Encore in 2021 and they had some lovely, plush deck blankets. We were on the Encore a couple of weeks ago and there were none.... in steerage. I found a hiding place in the Haven and took a couple back to our cabin for warm balcony viewing. 

How did you get into the Haven, if you were … in steerage?