Limited transatlantic sailings from Rome

Ann DiTullio

4 hours ago, jwlane said:

Consider the time/expense to get to the east coast for a TA for most in the US---not nearly as convenient.

Maybe not as convenient, but not a deal breaker for the thousands of people in the US that do it.  

Edited by Mark_K
  • Thanks 1

I live in the ATL area, any comments on the differences in east bound vs west bound?  I  understand you gain an hour each day pretty much westbound…and obviously vice versa east bound. I am much more interested in getting the LONG flight out of the way first..then sailing back to the USA…any comments re this train of thought? 

10 nights is my longest cruise so far, a closed loop Southern Caribbean. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

41 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I live in the ATL area, any comments on the differences in east bound vs west bound?  I  understand you gain an hour each day pretty much westbound…and obviously vice versa east bound. I am much more interested in getting the LONG flight out of the way first..then sailing back to the USA…any comments re this train of thought? 

10 nights is my longest cruise so far, a closed loop Southern Caribbean. 

I have  done more eastbound (6) than westbound(5) prefer westbound 

1) get the long  flight out of the way 

2) travel around the port city first 

3) ports on cruise are general with in the first week

4) 5 days of nothing,  bliss 

5) 3 hour flight on the day we dock, no interested of in Florida for any days 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Pretty much my exact thinking…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To the OP complaining about the 100 Euro cost of a flight to Barcelona - you have no idea what a deal / steal that is.

Try flying from Toronto to Vancouver for a cruise to Alaska - you would lose your mind at the cost. Want to fly from Toronto to Montreal to catch a Canada / New England cruise? Good luck finding that magical $100 ticket. Toronto to Miami / Fort Lauderdale with a convenient schedule / price? That is like the magical unicorn. To the OP I suggest you hop on la ferrovia and enjoy il viaggio a Barcelona.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RD64 said:

To the OP complaining about the 100 Euro cost of a flight to Barcelona - you have no idea what a deal / steal that is.

Try flying from Toronto to Vancouver for a cruise to Alaska - you would lose your mind at the cost. Want to fly from Toronto to Montreal to catch a Canada / New England cruise? Good luck finding that magical $100 ticket. Toronto to Miami / Fort Lauderdale with a convenient schedule / price? That is like the magical unicorn. To the OP I suggest you hop on la ferrovia and enjoy il viaggio a Barcelona.

lol I live in Windsor and my manager asked if I was coming to Toronto for a ball game, my response was 'do you know how much that would cost?'. I wish it cost $100

• Thanks 1

Just now, Lena11033 said:

lol I live in Windsor and my manager asked if I was coming to Toronto for a ball game, my response was 'do you know how much that would cost?'. I wish it cost $100

Lena - try Sault Ste. Marie to Toronto…people on these boards would literally cry at the cost. Not to mention the unpredictability of these flights which are the first to be cancelled. Anybody flying out of the North has to travel the day before, or have a very good back up plan to get them to YYZ in time for a connecting flight - which also includes an exhorbitant hotel overnight. But it is what it is.

5 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Lena - try Sault Ste. Marie to Toronto…people on these boards would literally cry at the cost. Not to mention the unpredictability of these flights which are the first to be cancelled. Anybody flying out of the North has to travel the day before, or have a very good back up plan to get them to YYZ in time for a connecting flight - which also includes an exhorbitant hotel overnight. But it is what it is.

That's why my next cruise I'm leaving from Detroit to get to Florida - direct flight and cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

That's why my next cruise I'm leaving from Detroit to get to Florida - direct flight and cheaper.

Wow, I check Tampa to Detroit for November 22 , it about $400 CAD pp compared to $116 CAD , Tampa to Toronto 

it like anything else , need to alway check pricing for your dates 

15 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Came here to say this!  Did one eastbound and did not enjoy the shortened days and cold weather upon arrival.

3 minutes ago, cruisegirlppp said:

Came here to say this!  Did one eastbound and did not enjoy the shortened days and cold weather upon arrival.

We have done both directions several times.  Each has benefits.  East bound we arrive in Europe without jet lag and don’t spend the first day or two of our holiday recovering. West bound gives longer days and a relaxing few days after a busy touring holiday.  I suspect that anyone who has to go back to work immediately after their trip would prefer this option, but we are retired so that doesn’t concern us.

15 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I prefer eastbound, mainly because I really can’t sleep on a plane and really dislike overnight flights.  An 8-9 hour flight that leaves around noon and lands around 3:00PM is not a bother to me, it’s just a long day.

19 minutes ago, Kelownadon said:

If you really wanted to do it up right and money is no object, you could do a back to back cruise on the Ascent from Rome on the 14th of October 2024 for a 25 night TA cruise. 

Nice idea.

• Like 2