Trip Insurance

30 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

I'm noticing quite a bit of talk about annual Allianz policies.  I have Allianz AllTrips Premier, and the maximum benefit amount for pre-existing conditions is exactly the same as the maximum benefit for ANY conditions.

Correct me if I'm mistaken?

The dollar amount is not the issue. The question is whether pre-existing conditions are covered at all. If you purchased the policy within 14 days of the initial deposit on a trip or at any time during the coverage period, you are covered. 

If you already had several trips booked before you bought the policy, pre-existing conditions are not covered for cancellation, interruption, or medical.

8 minutes ago, Babr said:

The dollar amount is not the issue. The question is whether pre-existing conditions are covered at all. If you purchased the policy within 14 days of the initial deposit on a trip or at any time during the coverage period, you are covered. 

If you already had several trips booked before you bought the policy, pre-existing conditions are not covered for cancellation, interruption, or medical.

Decision made!  We have 14 cruises booked right now stretching into 2025 so you can see why the Allianz insurance would do us no good!  Thanks for all the insight and information!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Babr said:

True, except for medical in my policy. In any case, pre-existing conditions are covered in the Premier Plan if timely purchased.

21 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

True, except for medical in my policy. In any case, pre-existing conditions are covered in the Premier Plan if timely purchased.

To be clear, pre-existing conditions are not covered unless the policy is purchased in a timely manner. That includes medical as well. You’d still get emergency care - and baggage delay.

1 hour ago, Babr said:

To be clear, pre-existing conditions are not covered unless the policy is purchased in a timely manner. That includes medical as well. You’d still get emergency care - and baggage delay.

Now you have me perplexed.  I see no distinction in the policy between emergency medical or other medical. I also see no pre-existing condition exclusion for any medical, regardless of when purchased.

Notice the wording difference in the declarations.  Only cancellation or interruption make any mention of pre-existing conditions (which are covered if timely purchased):

Trip Cancellation Coverage -  You have to cancel your trip before you depart. $2,000.00 Pre-existing Medical Condition Limit: Claims for Trip Cancellation due to a pre-existing medical condition can be covered up to the maximum trip cancellation benefit limit, not to exceed $2,000.00. Conditions apply.

Trip Interruption Coverage -  Your travel plans are interrupted while you are on your trip. $2,000.00 Pre-existing Medical Condition Limit: Claims for Trip Interruption due to a pre-existing medical condition can be covered up to the maximum trip interruption benefit limit, not to exceed $2,000.00. Conditions apply.

Emergency Transportation Coverage -  Transportation is needed following a medical emergency while on your trip. $500,000.00

Emergency Medical/Dental Coverage -  You have to pay for emergency medical or dental while on your trip. $50,000.00

38 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

Now you have me perplexed.  I see no distinction in the policy between emergency medical or other medical. I also see no pre-existing condition exclusion for any medical, regardless of when purchased.

Notice the wording difference in the declarations.  Only cancellation or interruption make any mention of pre-existing conditions (which are covered if timely purchased):

Trip Cancellation Coverage -  You have to cancel your trip before you depart. $2,000.00 Pre-existing Medical Condition Limit: Claims for Trip Cancellation due to a pre-existing medical condition can be covered up to the maximum trip cancellation benefit limit, not to exceed $2,000.00. Conditions apply.

Trip Interruption Coverage -  Your travel plans are interrupted while you are on your trip. $2,000.00 Pre-existing Medical Condition Limit: Claims for Trip Interruption due to a pre-existing medical condition can be covered up to the maximum trip interruption benefit limit, not to exceed $2,000.00. Conditions apply.

Emergency Transportation Coverage -  Transportation is needed following a medical emergency while on your trip. $500,000.00

Emergency Medical/Dental Coverage -  You have to pay for emergency medical or dental while on your trip. $50,000.00

Since Allianz designates its entire benefit as Emergency  Medical/Dental, there does not appear to be any exclusion in this provision for pre-existing conditions.

As you say, coverage up to policy limits as described on the declarations page for your policy is provided if the policy is purchased in a timely manner. It appears you chose the $2,000 coverage limit.

Edited by Babr

10 minutes ago, Babr said:

It appears you chose the $2,000 coverage limit.

Conditions apply? What are the others?

Yes, cancellation and interruption are minor issues.  Our credit card provides $20,000.  We buy it for the medical and transportation coverage that the card doesn't provide.

The only conditions are what you've already stated: purchase 14-days after booking or book after purchase.

Edited by RB9643

1 minute ago, RB9643 said:

Yes, cancellation and interruption are minor issues.  Our credit card provides $20,000.  We buy it for the medical and transportation coverage that the card doesn't provide.

The only conditions are what you've already stated: purchase 14-days after booking or book after purchase.

But your credit card does not cover pre-existing conditions. There is a look-back of probably 60 days depending on which card you have. They will examine your medical records for that period prior to booking to see if there is anything related to your reason for cancellation.

20 minutes ago, Babr said:

But your credit card does not cover pre-existing conditions. There is a look-back of probably 60 days depending on which card you have. They will examine your medical records for that period prior to booking to see if there is anything related to your reason for cancellation.

Geez. Now you got me having to double check that one too!  I'll do it tomorrow.  😆

If I recall, that one waives conditions that are controlled or have been medicated; like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, etc.  But now I have to verify all that again....

Edited by RB9643

19 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

Geez. Now you got me having to double check that one too!  I'll do it tomorrow.  😆

If I recall, that one waives conditions that are controlled or have been medicated; like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, etc.  But now I have to verify all that again....

You’re correct that stable conditions are not counted, but any change in symptoms or prescriptions can trigger the exclusion.

Remember also that the exclusion applies to not only you but also your traveling companion and immediate family members of both even if they are not traveling with you. That is a lot of people to query about their health before you book a trip; however, if any of them falls ill and causes you to cancel, the claim will be denied.