Stateroom upgrades after boarding

SandJCruiser

I know in the past that Azamara has sometimes offered higher level staterooms, a few weeks before departure, to loyalty members on a bid basis, but I was wondering whether, if they have unsold staterooms, they are willing to offer them on a first-come, first-served basis to passengers after boarding at any kind of reasonable discount.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Yes, have experience with this twice in the last year.

First time we were able to upgrade at a reasonable cost.  Caveat:  The ship sailed with only 184 pax, so obviously a factor.

Second time the offer was in the stratosphere and we refused (ship was at about 85% occupancy).  As far as we could see by walking by, the cabin we offered to upgrade on stayed empty for the entire 24 nights.

I have actually done this a couple of times onboard - once when the line first launched from an inside to an oceanview for I think about $200 as they had a lot of empty cabins, and then again last July when the ship only had about 250 pax. on board and there was an issue with my oceanview cabin.  So I asked if I could pay for an upgrade and I think they charged me $200 to upgrade to a veranda - because they agreed there was an issue with my stateroom and it was more or less a courtesy.  I would wait until the second day of the cruise before asking though as they get swamped with requests on day one and it's unlikely they will be able to move you before day 2 anyway.

Edited by Xcelsior
  • Like 1

Currently on the Quest which is less than half full. They gave us a sheet when we boarded with offers to bid on upgrades-suggested minimum bid was $1500 for a club continent and $500 for a veranda. Sorry I don’t remember if it was per person or per cabin. They also had a bingo game for a specific club continent suite (one with a bathtub). Bingo cards were 3 for $35.

4 hours ago, wjfan417 said:

Currently on the Quest which is less than half full. They gave us a sheet when we boarded with offers to bid on upgrades-suggested minimum bid was $1500 for a club continent and $500 for a veranda. Sorry I don’t remember if it was per person or per cabin. They also had a bingo game for a specific club continent suite (one with a bathtub). Bingo cards were 3 for $35.

I'm assuming the bid prices depend on the class of cabin you're booked in. The thought is that it would cost more to move from an inside to a CC than to make that move from a balcony cabin.

20 hours ago, tgg said:

I'm assuming the bid prices depend on the class of cabin you're booked in. The thought is that it would cost more to move from an inside to a CC than to make that move from a balcony cabin.

The sheet we were given didn’t say-we were already in a veranda.