help with transport at various ports - Northern Europe

marchcruz

Headed on Preziosa in October and am in full research mode.  I have some questions for those of you who have done these ports with MSC before:

1) Bruges - Can anyone tell me what the cost of the MSC shuttle is in Zeebrugge to get to Bruges? I am reading horrible reviews on Cruise Express and am thinking we will just do the Cruise bus but have no idea what the cost is.

2) Le Havre - We are going to go to the D-Day landing beaches. It's really important to us. At this point, I am thinking we are going to rent a car at the rental place right there at the port in LeHavre. Yes, I know it's not a short drive. On the Ireland MSC site, I saw an excursion to the British and Canadian landing beaches but not American. That excursion is not listed anymore. No D-Day landing excursions listed on the US site. I'd love any tips or suggestions if you've done this trip before.

3) It's looking like we can walk from the Copenhagen and Oslo ports. Is that true?

Thanks, everyone! This will be our 2nd MSC cruise. Last year we were on Splendida for a Med cruise. Loved it.

I'd be interested to see what you find out for LeHavre. We cruise next March and are looking for the same thing. I don't know if you've looked at the port of call board, but I've found some information there and recommendation for a tour company.  The tours in France seem very expensive, so we were going to consider renting a car as well.  It would be nice if there were a ship tour though because I'm not sure how risky I am feeling, but we do have some time to figure it out.  I don't think we would drive hours, just hopefully find some of the D-day sites.

We also were on the MSC Splendida in the Med last year and will be on the MSC Preziosa in September to Scotland and Ireland.

We haven't been to Oslo but for Copenhagen it is very easy. You will be docking at Terminal 3 (C333) at Oceankaj, unless the schedule changes. There is a shuttle bus that travels to the Metro station "Orientkaj" and then ride the Metro Line 4 Blue to the "Kongens Nytorv" station. This is close to Nyhaven and other attractions. The other option is the HopOn-HopOff bus which usually comes out to the Oceankaj Terminals.

7 hours ago, marchcruz said:

Headed on Preziosa in October and am in full research mode.  I have some questions for those of you who have done these ports with MSC before:

2) Le Havre - We are going to go to the D-Day landing beaches. It's really important to us. At this point, I am thinking we are going to rent a car at the rental place right there at the port in LeHavre. Yes, I know it's not a short drive. On the Ireland MSC site, I saw an excursion to the British and Canadian landing beaches but not American. That excursion is not listed anymore. No D-Day landing excursions listed on the US site. I'd love any tips or suggestions if you've done this trip before.

You will need to go to EUROPE BOARD/FRANCE PORTS, this is where you can find the information regarding D-Day landing beaches.  It is best if you can join with some group on a roll call (if there is any) to go to this site because you would need a guide to show/inform you about this place.  We joined a group on a roll call (but do not remember the name) and it was wonderful, some of our roll call people went with Over Lord company (this company is well know on Le Harve port of call) and they enjoyed it very much too.  Even with a  private company it was an expensive tour and worth every dollar.  Happy cruising.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marchcruz said:

1) Bruges - Can anyone tell me what the cost of the MSC shuttle is in Zeebrugge to get to Bruges? I am reading horrible reviews on Cruise Express and am thinking we will just do the Cruise bus but have no idea what the cost is.

There is no shuttle from MSC, their shuttle goes from Zeebrugge to Blankenberg. There is a public bus from the church in Zeebrugge almost directly opposite the port. But not many rides per day. Blankenberg has much more rides, you can take the tram to there.

Edited by perakcruiser

On 7/22/2023 at 2:27 AM, perakcruiser said:

There is no shuttle from MSC, their shuttle goes from Zeebrugge to Blankenberg. There is a public bus from the church in Zeebrugge almost directly opposite the port. But not many rides per day. Blankenberg has much more rides, you can take the tram to there.

There is(was?) a regular (hourly) train from Zeebrugge-dorp  just a 20 min walk but 15min train,  faster than the tram/train|bus

(Can't find this train now it we used it in spring)

The bus is 47 is at 8:42(or 13:07) not that easy to get the early one and one time to get back.

There is a shuttle that runs from outside the port. €25. 

https://www.cruise-express.be/en/

All options cheaper than cruise options.

12 hours ago, insidecabin said:

The bus is 47 is at 8:42(or 13:07) not that easy to get the early one and one time to get back.

Back is at 15:48 if I remember correct. All not really perfect. The overpriced Cruise Express also not always running. 

Oslo docks are "right there." This is a picture from Grandiosa May, 2022. My husband uses a mobility scooter. We had no problem along the dock and in the first "layer" (and a block or two from the harbor streets) of the port town area.

As has been posted, Copenhagen Oceanskaj is a long way. Langelinie is very close but for smaller ships. Public transport (bus/train) is excellent although since having the scooter, we have not used it.

oslo.jpg

• Thanks 1